banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 01-01-2008, 06:00 PM   #1
podunklander

Default Old Christmas Tree

Old Christmas Tree (sung to O' Christmas Tree [O' Tannenbaum])

Old Christmas Tree, next to the busted grill,
And there you’ll stay for now, until...
Old Christmas Tree, next to the rusted grill
I’ll take you to the dump, I will!

I gave you light, I made you bright.
I sang to you...O Holy Night.

Old Christmas Tree, next to the busted grill
I’ll take you to the dump, I will.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	old x-mas tree.JPG
Views:	866
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	762  
Old 01-01-2008, 06:55 PM   #2
Dream Street Rose

Default Re: Old Christmas Tree

Thanks for the laugh, Pam.

DSR
Old 01-03-2008, 08:29 AM   #3
Jesse Joe

Very funny Podunklander, will the busted grill go to the dump as well ? lol

Last edited by Jesse Joe; 01-03-2008 at 11:53 AM.
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 05:52 PM   #4
podunklander

lol actually, the photo and the 'song' are from XMas of 2003...my 1st XMas living back in the sticks since I left my small hometown in Massachusetts.

Everywhere I've lived since, the Town has picked up XMas trees. Not this town. I had dragged that tree to the curb...where it stayed for a couple of weeks until it was clear that it wasn't going to be picked up.

It came in handy out on the curb though because when a friend was coming to visit here for the 1st time (people always miss my driveway) I told her to just look for the 'Old Christmas Tree'.

I called my landlord and he said I'd have to bring it to the dump...which he offered to do. Meanwhile, I had to drag the tree back over to the house and I leaned it on the grill. The grill - kind of came with the house from the previous tenant. I told my landlord that I never intended to use it and asked him to bring it to the dump. He's decided to keep it and it's still in the same spot and now serves as a beehive.

XMas tree disposal had never been anything I had to give much thought to in earlier years. While growing up - I really don't recall how our trees were disposed of. Most of those years we burned our own trash in the back yard...so I would guess that it got chopped up and was burned.

After having had a real tree throughout the years - 2003 was the last. It was the prettiest tree too! Now I have one of those white, metal pre-lit trees that are meant to be for the outdoors. We really like it. And I don't have to water it of course and don't have to sing to it either!
Old 01-03-2008, 07:12 PM   #5
Jesse Joe

All very interesting Pam, you seem to have landlords that just wont listen to you. lol But you sound like a real nice and funny lady. All the best to you...
Old 01-04-2008, 04:04 PM   #6
podunklander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Joe View Post
All very interesting Pam, you seem to have landlords that just wont listen to you. lol But you sound like a real nice and funny lady. All the best to you...
All but 2 of the landlords (and there have been many) I've had have been wonderful! Including the couple I've been renting from for 5 years now. I just adore "Midge" and Jim. They do listen to me, but both are hearing impaired and often do not hear exactly what I'm saying.

A few months ago -I was outside, saw Jim and was saying "hi, how are you" (or as it is said around these parts..."howah YA"). Jim's response was a not so enthusiastic, "ya, ya, ya, ya". Not his typical response but his back was to me. So I made myself more visible and then repeated my greeting. Then he chuckled and said, "Oh, I thought you were my wife!".
Old 01-04-2008, 05:03 PM   #7
Jesse Joe

lol... funny guy that Jim.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:45 PM   #8
timetraveler

I got a good chuckle out of that one myself. I can also sympathise with you about your tree disposal problem. Usually, when folks here are finished with their trees, they sometimes take them to Pinnacle Mountain State Park & they get collected there so that they could be used to help form protected habitat for fish. And then for some odd reason they stopped doing that & left a loty of people wondering just what on earth to do with their trees, as officials were either telling them to take them to the dump, only to be told that there was no room for them. Makes me glad we have an artificial tree.
timetraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 11:14 PM   #9
Shutup and Deal, I'm Losin'
spammer

Shutup and Deal, I'm Losin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 11:30 PM   #10
podunklander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutup and Deal, I'm Losin' View Post
That is so frkn' funny! But something about the composite of these 2 legends...Santa will never look the same to me again .
Old 01-08-2008, 11:35 PM   #11
podunklander

Quote:
Originally Posted by timetraveler View Post
I got a good chuckle out of that one myself. I can also sympathise with you about your tree disposal problem. Usually, when folks here are finished with their trees, they sometimes take them to Pinnacle Mountain State Park & they get collected there so that they could be used to help form protected habitat for fish. And then for some odd reason they stopped doing that & left a loty of people wondering just what on earth to do with their trees, as officials were either telling them to take them to the dump, only to be told that there was no room for them. Makes me glad we have an artificial tree.
sheeesh, it's one thing to discontinue doing that...and then to leave people stranded with having to dispose of their trees...is odd.

I am however curious to know why the program stopped. All I can think of is perhaps the fungicides, preservatives used on the live trees might pose a risk to the fish and/or water quality?
Old 01-10-2008, 10:00 PM   #12
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

We used to burn the old ones that we found when I was a kid, sort of like a makeshift bonfire. Drag it into the middle of the street or some other suitable place. Yes I know...if my old friends and I were kids today we'd be on Ritalin and they'd make us sit in the corner. Back then it was just "boys will be boys" ! Lucky too, now that I think of it, LOL.

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 02:36 AM   #13
Nightingale

Very funny stuff!
I think I am going to like it here...lol.

I like the G.L. cover art but I never realized that Gordon doesn't have a neck....
Nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote