banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 05-10-2004, 12:36 PM   #1
DMD3

The other day I heard another singer(a country singer, I think) singing a song. It sounded nothing like Gords song, but it had the lyrics "That's what you get for lovin' me". The rest of the lyrics were different, though. This song must not have been out for too long, because when Gord heres it I think he's going to sue the $hit out of this bum for stealing the title of one of his songs . Is Gord the only person they do this to? I read on here that some guy also used the melody for "The Edmund Fitzgerald" but he changed the lyrics. And don't forget Whitney Houston, who's song "Greatest Love Of All" sounded too much like "If You Could Read My Mind".
Old 05-10-2004, 12:36 PM   #2
DMD3

The other day I heard another singer(a country singer, I think) singing a song. It sounded nothing like Gords song, but it had the lyrics "That's what you get for lovin' me". The rest of the lyrics were different, though. This song must not have been out for too long, because when Gord heres it I think he's going to sue the $hit out of this bum for stealing the title of one of his songs . Is Gord the only person they do this to? I read on here that some guy also used the melody for "The Edmund Fitzgerald" but he changed the lyrics. And don't forget Whitney Houston, who's song "Greatest Love Of All" sounded too much like "If You Could Read My Mind".
Old 05-10-2004, 01:00 PM   #3
Auburn Annie

The song is "That's What She Gets for Loving Me" by Brooks & Dunn. You can read the lyrics at http://www.lyricstime.com/lyrics/59724.html

I don't think I've heard it, so I have no idea how similar or different it is to the original. And I don't know how familiar B&D are with the original. I don't believe you can sue simply on the basis of a similar, or even the exact same, title -- not and win anyway. Now if the music and/or lyrics were lifted (or sampled or mixed, whatever you want to call it) yeah, Gord's lawyers would be all over it like cotton candy on a two-year-old.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 01:00 PM   #4
Auburn Annie

The song is "That's What She Gets for Loving Me" by Brooks & Dunn. You can read the lyrics at http://www.lyricstime.com/lyrics/59724.html

I don't think I've heard it, so I have no idea how similar or different it is to the original. And I don't know how familiar B&D are with the original. I don't believe you can sue simply on the basis of a similar, or even the exact same, title -- not and win anyway. Now if the music and/or lyrics were lifted (or sampled or mixed, whatever you want to call it) yeah, Gord's lawyers would be all over it like cotton candy on a two-year-old.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 01:23 PM   #5
SomewhereupinMichigan

Annie: Love that analogy...cotton candy on a two year old. Anyway, having reviewed the lyrics to the B&D song, I'd say they certainly are influenced by GL. I see lyrics that reflect at least 3 of Gord's tunes in their one song.
SomewhereupinMichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 09:31 PM   #6
Kilgore

quote:Originally posted by DMD3:
I could be wrong but I don't believe you can copyright a title, only the lyrics, though it is obviously rare for a title to be reused. The only example that comes immediately to mind is "PS, I Love You" by Tom T. Hall and some English rock group whose name escapes me.
Kilgore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 09:31 PM   #7
malspapa

I could be wrong but I don't believe you can copyright a title, only the lyrics, though it is obviously rare for a title to be reused. The only example that comes immediately to mind is "PS, I Love You" by Tom T. Hall and some English rock group whose name escapes me.
Old 05-11-2004, 04:38 AM   #8
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

I receieved Brooks & Dunn tickets for Christmas and saw them just a few months back. As a fan of Lightfoot and B&D My opinion is "harmless coincidence". I've been wrong before but having heard bofem that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 05:29 AM   #9
Borderstone

Brooks & Dunn have been in the business a long time and I don't think they'd be dumb enough to borrow anyone's lyrics without getting copywright permissions first. Come on now,"Greatest Love" borrowing just about all of "mind" is one thing but these guys should certainly know better.
If they borrowed,it may be a compliment to Gord. Never jump to conclusions DMD3. Find out the facts 1st before you jump to a conclusion like that. Been me,Aurevoir!

------------------
"A knight of the road,going back to a place where he might get warm." - Borderstone
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 07:06 AM   #10
DMD3

quote:Originally posted by Borderstone:
Find out the facts 1st before you jump to a conclusion like that. Been me,Aurevoir!

That's a good idear.
Old 05-11-2004, 07:06 AM   #11
DMD3

quote:Originally posted by Borderstone:
Find out the facts 1st before you jump to a conclusion like that. Been me,Aurevoir!

That's a good idear.
Old 05-11-2004, 06:08 PM   #12
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy

That's a good idear.

Don't look back. The spelling police are on your tail...

Cathy http://www.cathycowette.com

Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 12:33 PM   #13
DMD3

quote:Originally posted by Cathy:

Naaah. I meant to spell it that way. That's country talk.
Old 05-12-2004, 12:33 PM   #14
DMD3

Old 05-12-2004, 05:00 PM   #15
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy

We pronounce it idear up in this neck of the woods, too, but we still spell it idea.

Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 10:35 PM   #16
Jim Nasium

Brooks and Dunn AND Gordon Lightfoot are my FAVORITES! I really don't think Ronnie was trying to steal anyone's lyrics or music. He and Kix write most of their own songs and I am sure they don't need to 'copy'. The songs are so totally different, I hadn't even thought about the titles being so close to the same. 'You get' 'She gets'. Just heard them do it live in South Carolina. Wonderful! I wish they would get permission and do some of Gord's songs though. Ronnie really has the most stunning voice. Gordon and 'My Boys'... My dream concert! LOL Well, gettin' pert near bedtime. Nite ya'll! Linda (in Tennessee)

[This message has been edited by IN AWE (edited May 13, 2004).]
Jim Nasium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 10:35 PM   #17
IN AWE

Brooks and Dunn AND Gordon Lightfoot are my FAVORITES! I really don't think Ronnie was trying to steal anyone's lyrics or music. He and Kix write most of their own songs and I am sure they don't need to 'copy'. The songs are so totally different, I hadn't even thought about the titles being so close to the same. 'You get' 'She gets'. Just heard them do it live in South Carolina. Wonderful! I wish they would get permission and do some of Gord's songs though. Ronnie really has the most stunning voice. Gordon and 'My Boys'... My dream concert! LOL Well, gettin' pert near bedtime. Nite ya'll! Linda (in Tennessee)

[This message has been edited by IN AWE (edited May 13, 2004).]
IN AWE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 06:56 AM   #18
DMD3

We pronounce it idear up in this neck of the woods, too, but we still spell it idea.

I'm one of those who spells how he talks. And I don't really talk like that, just from time to time.
Old 05-14-2004, 06:56 AM   #19
DMD3

I'm one of those who spells how he talks. And I don't really talk like that, just from time to time.
Old 05-14-2004, 10:08 PM   #20
Jim Nasium

I really do talk like that! That is what makes us Southern Girls...'something very special' Linda
Jim Nasium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 10:08 PM   #21
IN AWE

I really do talk like that! That is what makes us Southern Girls...'something very special' Linda
IN AWE is offline   Reply With Quote