banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 11-18-2006, 04:20 PM   #26
Gitchigumee

Ingrid,

Any chance of having a photo of your mom posted here? I'd love to see a photo of her. I will understand if you prefer not to, though. I tried to google Brita Lightfoot, but wasn't able to come up with a photo. You stated in one of your earlier posts, what a stable person she was, and I'm sure that was so important, with you and your brother having a famous father, to have that stable influence in your life. I still think it's incredible that you're communicating with us like this!

- Ruth

P.S. I have a 12th grader too, so another thing we have in common.
"There was a time in this fair land when the railroad did not run. When the wild majestic mountains stood alone against the sun. Long before the white man, and long before the wheel. When the green dark forest was too silent to be real."
Gitchigumee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 06:25 PM   #27
RussWig

Send a message via AIM to RussWig

I haven't logged into Corfid for a bit and what a lovely surprise to find the recent posts to this thread.

Ingrid/Melody, thank you from my heart for adding your very special memories to this site.
Old 11-18-2006, 06:25 PM   #28
My Name is Ann

I haven't logged into Corfid for a bit and what a lovely surprise to find the recent posts to this thread.

Ingrid/Melody, thank you from my heart for adding your very special memories to this site.
Old 11-18-2006, 10:57 PM   #29
GitarGrl

Ingrid,

Words fail me. Please accept my condolences.
GitarGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 10:57 PM   #30
zoneranger

Ingrid,

Words fail me. Please accept my condolences.
Old 11-19-2006, 06:13 AM   #31
geodeticman

Send a message via AIM to geodeticman

Ingrid,
Please accept my condolances. I am so sorry. My parents had a mountain retreat that I lived in while going to High School. I loved that house so much; especially in later years after our daughter was born. So many Christmas memories with magic and more snow than we could ever plow at 10,000 ft. When Dad passed away, Mom sold the Mountain home and moved to Longmont, Colorado, in the city.

I will always miss that house high up on a promontory; and am so happy for you in turn that you have "granny"'s house to go to. That feeling is very, very special.

So gracious of you to post to us in our group; I'm sure Granny will be missed sorely, but remembered with love and happiness. All our thoughts are with you, however late.
Steve D.
geodeticman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 09:56 AM   #32
Jenney

Ingrid it was a pleasure meeting you last night. Your warmth and generous spirit are a testimoney to your mother.
Jenney
Jenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 10:43 AM   #33
Melody

Hi Jenney, hi All,
It was also a pleasure meeting you, Charlene, her daughter and the other ladies! Please post your names if I met you last night(can't remember all names...). Sorry.
I thought the show was great and that Dad spoke to the audience so much. Made me happy to watch!
After the show, I spoke to the Hawk & wife Wanda, whom I hadn't seen in years! I got a few good sqeezes out Ronnie, and some pics. Their kids and my brother and I used to play together way back when...
So... wonderful to see you all last night, and yes he did play "Beautiful", which made the night perfect!
Take Care,
Ps. Steve, you will always have your fond memories and that's what keeps you going. Memories are special gifts that help us through the difficult times. Works for me when I'm missing her...My Mom...
Ingrid
Old 11-19-2006, 04:42 PM   #34
Janice

Ingrid, I'm pleased that you were able to meet some of the folks from Corfid last night. I was hoping that would happen.

Thank you so much for sharing with us. It is truly very special to hear from you.
Old 11-19-2006, 09:40 PM   #35
Claudia

Send a message via MSN to Claudia

It was wonderful meeting you last night,and thank you for sharing your story about the Tomatoes!
You are so gracious and warm, I feel lucky to have met you. And I'm so happy for you that your dad sang "Beautiful."

I have such wonderful memories of times I spent with my mother, and it's nice to know that you have wonderful memories of your mother, too. It makes it a bit easier, doesn't it.

Fondly,
Melanie
Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 09:40 PM   #36
Steele's Tavern

It was wonderful meeting you last night,and thank you for sharing your story about the Tomatoes!
You are so gracious and warm, I feel lucky to have met you. And I'm so happy for you that your dad sang "Beautiful."

I have such wonderful memories of times I spent with my mother, and it's nice to know that you have wonderful memories of your mother, too. It makes it a bit easier, doesn't it.

Fondly,
Melanie
Steele's Tavern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 07:38 AM   #37
Betty

Ingrid, I want to extend my sympathy to you for the loss of your mother. My Dad died just over 2 years ago and I still miss him so much. I was very close to him and it seems so empty without him. Fortunately, I do have wonderful memories of him and that does help.

I was so impressed to see that you took the time to post to this list. The people here are pretty incredible (but I think that's a testimony to the quality of Gord's fans).

Your father has brought me much happiness with his music...what a gift he is.
Old 11-20-2006, 02:32 PM   #38
charlene

HI Ingrid,
What a pleasure to meet you the other night! After hearing that "Ingrid" had posted here I thought I'd better check to make sure as I'm sure you're aware the wonderful web can certainly have its share of odd sorts!

Your warm hello and "I'm so glad to meet you" cleared up the question of if it really was you or not. Thank you.

"Fine s Fine Can Be" has become my song for my daughter Lisa who you met the other night. And s the good folks know here, "Beautiful" holds a spot in my heart for many reasons but mostly because your dad wrote it for me...bet ya didn't know that did ya? lol

With your mum being such a beauty and dad being so handsome it's no wonder you are so pretty and it was immediate to me how much you resembled your dad when he was younger...He certainly was a looker and I'm still shocked that you are 40 yet don't look a day over 30!

It was lovely of you to introduce me to your beautiful children and take time to speak with my daughter...She thought it rather fabulous to meet the inspiration of that song that is now so special to us.

And yes young lady - it's time to stop smoking!

I did see the memoriam in the STAR this past summer. I know I'd have loved to spent to time with her as I love gardening as well...not much time to devote to it any longer but always find a joy in being in a beautifully tended garden.
I think it's so right that you will move into mums place - what a loving and welcoming place it must have been. And from just our few moments together with you it looks like that will continue when you and your family take up residence.

Oh my what a night with The Hawk in the House of Gord...my, my, me we love that man here in Toronto...and your dad was pleased as punch he was there. He talked about it all night. And made mention on Sunday night a few times!Actually he was quite the chatterbox that night and every night of the series...even had a couple of new jokes!
lol

Well I am glad you didn't run screaming from Massey after you confirmed to me that you weren't 'some crazy' as you laughingly said and then accepted greetings from a few of this bunch who were in attendance.

This is the first I've had a chance to get to a computer since Thursd.Nov.16 - I have lots to catch up on and I'll be doing up a trip report/concert set list asap for everyone.

It was a most fabulous 4 nights...a memorable, momentous milestone for your father that we "The Net People" in attendance and those from afar were truly a part of with his mention from the stage of the many places represented in the audience and "The Net People" by name...

He's a hell of a guy and last night he promised me he'd be back at Massey in 18 months....so if I don't see you before then I'll see you in May 2008 Ingrid!
Char
one very,very tired but ecstatic moderator!

[ November 21, 2006, 07:00: Message edited by: charlene ]
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 07:54 PM   #39
Affair on Touhy Ave.

I know I'm a bit late but welcome to the board and sorry about your mom's passing. Hopefully in spite of you dad's health, he'll be around a little bit longer.

If it's OK with you I'd like to ask you a little bit about your fathers work. I'm familiar a with some of his material besides his major hits as a result of my folks having some of his albums.

the song Black Day In July wich was about the Detroit race riots. Since thse inncidents were common in the US durring the 60s, why did he just sing about the Detroit riots? I know they were the worst durring that period.

There was 1 your dad wrote in 1958 long before he had a recording contract called The Hula Hoop Song which I understand he never recorded but I heard here it was recorded by Georgia Gibbs but elesewhere I've heard her song was an entiring different song.

Huum maybe I should of started another new thread on this instead of posting my questions here. Anyway Hope you don't mind me asking.
Affair on Touhy Ave. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 10:34 PM   #40
brink-

Ingrid,
I did not have the chance to meet you on Saturday, but I am so glad you were there on family night. Hopefully, in 2008 you will join us in jam sessions and after concert parties.
I spent a couple days in Orillia, and it is a truly beautiful area. I hope you enjoy the cabin and that the wonderful memories of your mother continue to grow.
By the way - welcome to the group.
Now about that smoking.......
brink- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 09:05 AM   #41
Melody

Hi Char
It was lovely meeting you and your daughter Lisa also. I think it's so sweet that you share that song with her! I love the song(of course ), but haven't heard it in concert for quite a few years...Sometimes though, when Dad brings his guitar up to my house, I ask him to play/sing it and he does. Very sweet. He kind of Hum/sings quietly..hard to explain. Probably saving his voice for all of his fans LOL
Yes, his interaction with the crowd was great! I too was impressed! And the new jokes LOL...
Take care of yourself and your daughter K?
Keep up your great work on this site too You are doing such a fabulous job! I'm still navigating through it and it's HUGE!!! So many GL fans! So much information Char. Thank You, for your hard work :D
Hi to Melanie and Jenney whom I met at Massey with you...
Take Care Corfidians, thanks for your time & for being such great fans!
Ingrid
Old 11-21-2006, 09:30 AM   #42
Melody

Hello Affair on Touhy Ave,
Just so you know, I was born at the end of 65', so as far as the Hula Hoop Song goes, I'm not sure...I will try to find out though.
As far as Black Day in July goes, perhaps he read about the them(riots), perhaps he was in Detroit at the time. Usually a writer has a trigger, an emotion or event which provokes her or him to write about something. The fact that the song is about the riots in Detroit, situates the song & its' listeners. My opinion...
Ingrid
Old 11-21-2006, 09:35 AM   #43
John Whitlow

Hello Ingrid. There is nothing that I can add to what has already been posted above. I too was in Toronto to see the 4 shows at Massey Hall and once again enjoyed the experience more than words can express. This was my fourth time going to Massey and I am always in awe of the atmosphere of that venue. I did see you at the show that night as I was sitting in the same section as you and Ronnie Hawkins but unfortunately did not have the opportunity to meet you. I guess you can see what your father's music means to all of us. As I live in Florida, I always feel so far removed from everyone and everything. However, these jaunts to Toronto simply reinforce in me what it's all about. I am looking forward to the next time around.

Lori
John Whitlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 10:06 AM   #44
jj

glad you made it to Orillia, Deb

hello Ingrid, just a bit of an anecdote:
my middle sis has been giving haircuts (trying to make ends meet) to common Orillia working folk for many years and although she admits to being somewhat 'Gord-ignorant', she did hear the sad news of your dear mother's passing from her clientele at the hair shop last year - sis said she always feels overwhelmed with emotion whenever she feels the tremendous love and respect that seems to take over the air of the shop whenever your family name surfaces - she said she almost stabbed a customer in the eye once as she tried to clear a tear away from her own eye, heh heh

it's so wonderful that these strong feelings extend not only to all locals and the internet faithful but to laymen music lovers throughout the world who know we all share something very special

you & dad should challenge each other to get off the butts ...not that I should preach ...be well

jimmy (hey, hi all ...there's another jj here? )
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 10:53 AM   #45
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

Quote:
Originally posted by jj:
jimmy (hey, hi all ...there's another jj here? )
Wow jimmy, great to see you're with us again. You will always be the original jj.

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 01:15 PM   #46
charlene

Good grief he's everywhere...lol
e-mails, Massey, phone calls...nothing for so long and BAM! here he is!
lolol
stay tuned in JJ...
or else...
Old 11-21-2006, 01:15 PM   #47
charlene

Good grief he's everywhere...lol
e-mails, Massey, phone calls...nothing for so long and BAM! here he is!
lolol
stay tuned in JJ...
or else...
Old 11-22-2006, 09:16 AM   #48
Jennifer

Quote:
Originally posted by charlene:

He's a hell of a guy and last night he promised me he'd be back at Massey in 18 months....so if I don't see you before then I'll see you in May 2008 Ingrid!
Char
one very,very tired but ecstatic moderator!
Charlene, I can't help but notice that you are glowing in your recent posts! LOL. Your genuine happiness makes me smile. I am glad the Lightfoot concerts at Massey and the exhibit have brought you and so many others on this board so much joy. Nice to see.

Peace, Jen
Jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 07:39 PM   #49
Gord H

Ingrid, I think I may have seen you Sunday night after the concert, I was the big guy in the blue coat hanging out by the backstage door.

I'm the other Gord here... :D Nice to see you make an appearance here on the forums. Hope you will drop in from time to time.

I know your dad isn't keen on computers or the Internet etc, but I hope your visits here will impress upon him that us " Net people" do sincerely care about him and the rest of the guys in the band.

Anyway... take care of yourself and don't be a stranger ok?
Gord H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 08:21 PM   #50
charlene

[/qb][/QUOTE]Charlene, I can't help but notice that you are glowing in your recent posts! LOL. Your genuine happiness makes me smile. I am glad the Lightfoot concerts at Massey and the exhibit have brought you and so many others on this board so much joy. Nice to see.

Peace, Jen [/QB][/QUOTE]

I just may be delirious with exhaustion!
lol
I love the Massey shows, the friends that come, the music, and the crazy running around we all do trying to fit it all in...it's a lot to cram into just a few days but we manage to do it and survive with the next event in mind...These past four shows were beyond description...Lightfoot was so open and happy and relaxed...he was in fine voice and spirit and the band was obviously enjoying themselves and it all filtered out to the fans...it was truly amazing...and exhilarating! Ya gotta smile with all that great energy around!

[ November 22, 2006, 19:26: Message edited by: charlene ]