banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 09-28-2004, 08:38 AM   #1
Next Saturday

If anyone hasn't purchased this excellent CD--it should be on your list. Also in the liner notes, Ron thanks Gordon Lightfoot.
Next Saturday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 11:50 AM   #2
Martin/12

Thanks for the tip.
Martin/12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 11:10 AM   #3
Kilgore

Paul McCartney called Sexsmith his favorite new songwriter.

In an interview I saw with Sexsmith he said that when he started writing songs he wanted to write songs like Gordon Lightfoot
Kilgore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 04:37 PM   #4
bjb

Remember GL wasn't that fond of Ron's rendition of IYCRMM...

Hi Kilgore, are you a McCartney fan? Myself, I always thought John Lennon was a much better songwriter than Paul McCartney.
bjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 05:14 PM   #5
brink

I didn't hear anything about Gord saying that, but I would be in 100% agreement. When he sang it on the Country Music show it was awful. Just my humble little opinion.
brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 06:33 PM   #6
Kilgore

Hey BJB

I love the Beatles of course, as for Paul's solo albums I think RAM is awesome but I don't have any of his others

I love Lennon not only for his talent but his desire to do something about working for peace. Some thought he did some crazy things but at least he did something
Kilgore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 09:22 AM   #7
jj

quote:Originally posted by brink:
[B]I didn't hear anything about Gord saying that, but I would be in 100% agreement. B]

interesting opinion but mine is in 0% agreement but i didn't see the awards show

i remember he was the opening act at Hamilton Place a few years ago so all of the crowd was restless and i also was on the edge of my seat waiting for him to finish his mini-set when he broke into IYCRMM ...a few minutes later i was bonelessly melted to the back of my row CC seat thinking 'sigh, that went by too quickly' ...then i seem to recall him goin into Seem To Recall, niiice ...i think he's adorable

...in an edward scissorhands kind of way
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 10:09 AM   #8
charlene

I have to agree JJ. I love his shyness and aura of "gee-am I really lucky enough to be up here entertaining these people?" I never heard or read that Lightfoot was nothing but pleased with his rendition. It was a bit different and he was very very nervous but Ron did a great job. As he does with "Drifters" on the Beautiful Tribute CD.
He's always got that rumpled, rolled out of bed look and it's quite endearing! At the Hugh's Room Tribute shwos last year I think he actually did just roll out of bed and come to perform. He had been at a gig out of town and had just driven in - no one was really sure 100% if he could make it...but thankfully he did and was warmly received with his versions of "Now and Then" and "I'll Do Anything That You Say" with someone else's guitar..
I hope he's there at least one night this coming January..
Alan will be seeing him with his daughter in Manchester, England on Wednesday at her University...have a great time!

charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 10:33 AM   #9
bjb

Gordon was not really criticizing, here's what I was referring to:
http://www.canoe.ca/JamMusicArtistsL/lightfoot.html

"Last month, he was honoured at the Canadian Country Music Awards with tribute covers performed by Anne Murray (Cotton Ginny), Ian Tyson (Early Morning Rain) and Ron Sexsmith (If You Could Read My Mind). "It was very interesting," Lightfoot says laconically of Sexsmith's moody rendition. "I might have played it a little faster."
Old 10-04-2004, 11:01 AM   #10
jj

man, i would rather they put 'his' Now & Then or I'll Do Anything on the tribute CD...i haven't even heard them but know i'd dig!

that's funny (what GL said) because when i was with Terry Tufts last week at a 'house concert' he was telling how nervous he was when he heard that Gord was going to be meeting the tribute performers after the one Jan05 show ...apparently Gord approached and said 'hey, you did one of my tunes on the tribute CD, eh?' ....Terry said he gloated and replied 'YES, i did For Lovin me' ...Gord came back at him with 'pick it up a bit, will ya?!' LOL

Terry said he felt pretty small for a sec but chuckled and then spent the next most treasured 15 minutes he could remember chatting it up with Gord about all sorts of stuff ...he also confessed that just a few years ago, David Rea had shown him the proper intro lick to FLM (after he had been playing it 'wrong' for about 15 years )

bjb, now i'm off to look up 'laconically'
Old 10-04-2004, 11:13 AM   #11
bjb

that's so interesting!!! Remember "The House You Live In"?

"And the song that you sing should not be too sad
And be sure not to sing it too slow"
Old 10-04-2004, 12:11 PM   #12
jj

terrfic lyric dig, bjb! confusing life is, ya got Gord telling us to pick it up and women telling us to slow IT down, lol

the only stranger who's come to my door in two years has arrived with pamphlets...i did pity them but...GO away! agh, now i have a problem with my roof, my foundation, my plumbing, etc but the house is still standing

sorry, to get off topic again, Ron ...'be known as a man who will always be candid on questions that do not relate'
Old 10-04-2004, 06:38 PM   #13
charlene

and Terry was also highly praised for his version of CRT at the Tribute show. Lightfoot was very impressed with his guitar playing. I find that most covers of Lightfoot songs seem a bit slower than Gord's version. I think even the IDOL show had the songs slowed a bit too much...
I can't imagine the feelings those performers went through as they sang Lightfoot tunes with Lightfoot sitting 25 feet away....ack!
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 07:56 PM   #14
LSH

Ah, at last. I'm with Gord on this one. and even beyond....
on a previous thread, I stated that I hadn't even gotten all the way through the Beautiful tribute album. I spent all my time saying, "tempo, people tempo" like Robin Williams in The Fisher King.
The only covers I like at all on it are Ribbon Of Darkness (surprising since it's molasses in wintertime slow, but I can dig it. dude is feeling it, depresses the hell outta me)and Bend In The Water works ok for me.
I really just prefer to hear Lightfoot do Lightfoot.
For the sake of diplomacy, I've decided not to share my opinion of Ron Sexsmith's (this cannot be this man's real name, can it??)Drifters. eek.

[This message has been edited by LSH (edited October 04, 2004).]
LSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 08:02 AM   #15
jj

poor ron looks like gals have been tough on him his whole young life...ok, that's fine, i skip over maria muldar on that cd

Old 10-05-2004, 03:00 PM   #16
bjb

To Kilgore:
I absolutely agree with you re Lennon, and that's one reason I love Lightfoot as well -- the depth and conscience in many of his songs...