banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2024, 10:38 PM   #1
charlene

Default Dinner with Gordon Lightfoot - Steve Paikin

https://www.tvo.org/article/my-dinne...BWIY4yuRxwp1Dc

My dinner with Gordon Lightfoot

I went to a gala to help raise money for arts and culture in Toronto. I ended up having an unforgettable evening with a music legend

Written by Steve Paikin

May 3, 2023

It started as just another evening at yet another arts fundraiser. But it led to one of the most unforgettable nights of my life.

Former CTV anchor Ken Shaw, who was emceeing the evening, announced that the big auction item of that 2016 gala would be a multi-course dinner prepared at the winner’s home by one of Toronto’s best chefs, from Piano Piano. That sounded pretty nice, but nothing I had any intention of bidding on.

Then Shaw decided to have some fun at my expense. He got the bidding off to a strong start by picking me out of the audience and saying, “Hey, I see my friend Steve Paikin in the audience. Steve, how’d you like to start the bidding at $1,000?”

Being the good sport I am, I raised my paddle and nodded, secure in the knowledge that someone else would outbid me. And someone did. Phew.

Then Shaw paused the bidding. “Here’s an additional surprise for the winning bidder,” he said. “There will be a surprise guest at this dinner. The surprise guest is Gordon Lightfoot!”

Well, that changed everything. I now had a big problem. Because sitting at my table was none other than Gordon Lightfoot, with his wife, Kim. I knew Lightfoot a little bit, since I’d previously met him at an intimate concert. I’d actually asked him to autograph an old LP vinyl record of his. I was totally caught off guard when he actually recognized me and complimented my work on The Agenda.

Gordon Lightfoot knows who I am? How fabulously crazy is that?

So I suddenly decided that I would not permit Lightfoot to be embarrassed at that arts-foundation gala. He had to know how much the audience loved him — how much I loved him — and I was going to see to it that the special dinner fetched a handsome sum.

Shaw egged me on. “Steve? Are you going to let someone else win this?”

I looked across the table. I saw Lightfoot and Kim both look back at me. I looked around the room. Seven hundred sets of eyes were on me. My wife and I had both been lifelong fans of Lightfoot’s. We played his LPs all the time on an old record player at our camp on Manitoulin Island. That voice, those songs, the north channel of Lake Huron: it was all pure Canadiana. So, sure, I was happy to get the bidding started. But I could also see where this was going.

I raised my paddle again. Game on.

Someone I couldn’t see on the other side of the room then outbid me. I suppose I should have left it there, but that little voice inside me kept saying, “I can’t have Gordon embarrassed. This item needs to fetch a lot more money to show how much we love him.”

But another voice — my wife’s — weighed in, too. She has always been the more sensible one when it comes to finances. She was thinking of the cottage roof that needed replacing and her increasingly infirm mother’s care that needed paying for.

I was thinking, “Gordon, you are loved. And I will prove it.”

“Eight thousand dollars!” I yelled.

Quickly, I turned to the woman sitting beside me, Lisa Brown, from the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, whom I’d met once before during a TVO shoot there and who was also expressing interest. “Let’s go in on this together,” I said to her and husband, Michael. They said yes. Things were moving fast. We got totally swept up in the excitement of the moment. That all contributed to my being more aggressive in my bidding than I otherwise would have been.

My wife was… how shall I put this… unamused. No, that’s not quite right. Infuriated. Yes, she loved Lightfoot, too. But, unlike her husband, she was being sensible.

The bidding wouldn’t stop. Every time we raised, the folks on the other side of the room bid more. Eventually — thank the Lord — we prevailed. Did we spend $13,000? Or $14,000? Truth be told, I can’t remember. It was something off the charts I couldn’t afford. Naturally, the arts-foundation volunteers descended on us like vultures with credit-card machines, lest we come to our senses, realize what we’d done, and try to get out of it. I provided my MasterCard, and, with that, we were official. Michael, Lisa, and I felt terrific about our purchase and posed for pictures with the Lightfoots as the evening ended. As far as I was concerned, mission accomplished. The arts foundation raised some good dough, and the Lightfoots felt loved.

As we walked out of the hall, my wife first gave me the silent treatment, then exploded.

“Are you crazy?” she blasted me, not without cause. “Do you know what we could do with that much money? We owe money on the cottage. My mother’s care costs so much money every month. We have so many other priorities. How could you do this?”

“This will be a wonderfully memorable night, and it’ll all work out,” I assured her. “I’ll figure this out. You watch.” Did I know how I was going to fix this?

Not a clue.

The next day, Lisa and I spoke on the phone, laughed at our profligacy, acknowledged getting caught up in the moment, then started to talk turkey. Could we charge some of our neighbours a small admission fee to have them come, meet Gordon, and hear him play? Could we sell rights to a broadcaster and have me interview Gordon in an intimate setting? We kicked around a bunch of ideas — each one nuttier than the last — as we considered how to defray our costs. But the more we talked, the more we struck out. We just realized these ideas were too bizarre and couldn’t happen.

Shortly thereafter, I was out to dinner with my brother and some of his friends. I mentioned in passing that I’d just purchased dinner with Gordon Lightfoot at a charity auction. Everyone at the table suddenly perked up. They all loved Gordon, too, and wondered how they could score themselves an invitation to my little dinner.

I made some joke about charging them an admission fee, at which point they’d all be welcome to attend. Lu Cacioppo chimed in first.

“Done!” he said.

“And I’ll host it!” added Paul Paletta.

In 10 seconds, I’d managed to ensure two things: first, the evening would be immeasurably more fun because I’d be sharing it with my brother and his friends; second, I’d dodged a financial bullet, just as I’d promised.

On May 6, 2017, my wife, daughter, and I showed up at Paul’s house for what would turn out to be an extraordinary evening. Gordon and Kim were side by side in the middle of one side of the dining-room table, and Lisa and Michael were across from them on the other. Knowing what a huge Lightfoot fan my wife, Francesca, was, I suggested she sit beside him on his right, and she didn’t argue.

At this point, Gordon was 78 years old. He was mentally very sharp but looked gaunt and spoke very quietly. So the one thing I insisted on was one conversation, so we could all hear him. I started it off by saying, “It all began for you in Orillia, eh?” Gordon picked up the story seamlessly and began talking about how his career got started as a singer and dancer for a local show there.

The questions and answers kept coming, and so did the food, one course after another: salad, gnocchi, risotto, beef, red wine, white wine, chocolate mousse for dessert — it was amazing.

Gordon was in an expansive mood, happily sneaking bites of food in between telling us stories of his life. He told us he still did 75 to 80 shows a year, which seemed like a lot for a guy of his vintage, and there were about a dozen songs, he said, that he had to do every show. We started to guess them: “Sundown,” “Canadian Railroad Trilogy,” “Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald,” “If You Could Read My Mind,” “Carefree Highway”... Francesca shouted out one of her favorites, “Black Day in July,” but he said no, that didn’t make the list.

part 2 - next post
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 10:39 PM   #2
charlene

Default Re: Dinner with Gordon Lightfoot - Steve Paikin

part 2

I asked about a performance he once did with Johnny Cash. “And I raise this,” I explained, “because my great-uncle was Johnny’s manager.”

“Saul Holiff,” Gordon replied without missing a beat. We were amazed that he remembered the name 50 years after performing with Cash.

Because Francesca was sitting beside him, she actually had some private conversations with Lightfoot and got some stories about his darker days, when he was a self-described alcoholic. She confessed that she, too, after work sometimes liked to come home and have a Scotch or two.

“Oh my, that’s nothing,” Gordon said. “I’d drink a bottle a day.” But he told us he was now clean, had been for years, and worked out six days a week in a health club at the Sheraton Centre.

“Do you get people coming up to you while you do your workout to interrupt you for autographs?” I asked.

“All the time,” he said.

“And what do you do?” I wondered.

“I sign ‘em. All of ‘em!” Gordon said to laughs all around.

Even though I fancy myself not a bad interviewer, I have to confess the best questions of the night all came from my brother Jeff: “Did the money matter to you, or was it all about the art?” (The money did matter. “I’ve got six kids!” he reminded us.) “What’s your favorite venue?” (We all assumed Massey Hall, but he didn’t actually name a favorite.) “What was the most memorable concert you ever did?” (Again, no particular one came to mind, but it did lead to us tossing out examples of our favorites.)

“Gordon, Giulia here has a question,” I said, referring to my very nervous then-14-year-old daughter.

“Of all the people you’ve worked with over the years, have any of them been mean to you?” she asked.

He paused, thought long and hard about it, and said, “I can’t think of anyone. People have been pretty pleasant to work with.”

Gordon told us that he’d never performed at 24 Sussex Drive for any prime minister but that he would be performing on July 1 at Canada’s big 150th-anniversary celebration on Parliament Hill, and he was very much looking forward to that. No one ever asked him what his favorite song was, but I think he said that he’d be playing “If You Could Read My Mind,” so perhaps we inferred that’s the one. I read somewhere that song is in the Top 100 greatest Canadian songs of all time, and it’s his highest-ranked song on the list.

It was getting late, so Gordon mentioned that he’d left his guitar in his car, and, if we didn’t mind, he’d go get it, come back, and play a song.

Did we mind? Of course we didn’t mind!

Lightfoot ended up singing a song I didn’t know, but, as he sang it, he turned towards Francesca as if serenading just her. It was magical.

It was now about 10 p.m., and Gordon indicated it was time to go. The star then patiently stood around for another 15 minutes having his picture taken in different combinations with everyone, before making his departure. He could not have been classier. He could not have been more gracious.

Before going, I gave him a copy of a book I’d written about former Ontario premier Bill Davis, whom he knew, as a thank-you souvenir of the event. I signed it, “To Gordon: with thanks for one of the most memorable evenings of our lives.”

That evening turned out to be hugely important in all our lives. My wife and Gordon’s wife, Kim, struck up a friendship and have stayed in touch. In fact, when Gordon played a beautifully renovated Massey Hall in November 2021, we all sat together for what would turn out to be the last time I saw Lightfoot do a concert.

Gordon isn’t the only one from that dinner that’s no longer with us. My brother’s wife, Andrea, contracted glioblastoma and died 15 months ago. But we all have the memory of her being there with an effervescent smile beaming all night long.

If you could read my mind now, you’d know how utterly grateful I am to have had this unique experience with a Canadian troubadour whose legend lives on well beyond the big lake they call Gitchigumi.

Rest in peace, Gordon. And thank you for everything.

Steve Paikin

Steve Paikin is the host of TVO's flagship current affairs program, The Agenda with Steve Paikin. He co-hosts the weekly provincial affairs #onpoli podcast and contributes columns to tvo.org. Paikin was born and raised in Hamilton, which explains his love of the Hamilton Tiger-Cats and the Toronto Maple Leafs. We’re still trying to figure out his obsession for the Boston Red Sox.
Old 01-08-2024, 10:59 PM   #3
charlene

img_20170506_2226357 by char Westbrook, on Flickr

img_20170506_2225462 by char Westbrook, on Flickr

img_20170506_2208370 by char Westbrook, on Flickr

img_20170506_2138132 by char Westbrook, on Flickr

img_20170506_2120306 by char Westbrook, on Flickr

img_7667 by char Westbrook, on Flickr
Old 01-09-2024, 09:41 PM   #4
JohninCt.

Location: Wallingford, Ct. Not far from what used to be Oakdale Music Theater

Great story and night, and I'm sure these are great memories you have with Gordon and Kim that will last you all your life. Anyone that knew Gordon (and Kim) are really proud to have known them. I sure do miss him.
JohninCt. is offline   Reply With Quote