banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > Small Talk

Old 08-27-2007, 02:10 PM   #1
Borderstone

Default El "B" loses some major LBS. (pounds)

I had to share this with you guys! Remember the post on the main board where we talked about Gordon's exercising & such? I commented saying,"If Gord can do it so can I".

Well happy to say I have been eating a lot less and yesterday afternoon I weighed myself and I couldn't believe it when I saw the scale read (get ready!) *190*!!!!

I now have the incentive to start working out in the apt. complex weight room,which i did last night. Only 20 mins. and yes,I took it easy. Only 20 to 40 pounds at most and no more than 10 in a row.

I am so proud of me. I have to sign off now,gonna run a mile!! (Yeah right..it's 100+ out there! LOL!

Last edited by Borderstone; 08-28-2007 at 02:54 PM.
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 05:03 PM   #2
Auburn Annie

Default Re: El "B" loses some major LBS. (pounds)

You go, B! Alas, I spent 8 years doing the gym thing three days a week (or more) and while I was toned, I put ON 25 lbs, in spite of lifting increasing weights, treadmilling, walking to and from the gym, etc. I'm afraid my genes rule. OTOH my mom made it to almost 80 and her mom 88 and we're all built the same.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 05:09 PM   #3
RM

Congrats B'stone ! You're now at 190.....what was the heaviest ?
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 07:38 PM   #4
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

Good job Walter, keep it up. You'll find consistency is the key. One day at a time like Gord likes to say.

And it is possible to run on 100 F days, but not your first time. Try a 1/4 mile in October and work up from there.

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 12:24 PM   #5
Shutup and Deal, I'm Losin'
spammer

I've been having to eat up to 3 sandwiches right before I go to bed, AND drinking Whey Protein in the morning and at night, just to gain weight. I lift weights, although I must say I don't go at it quite as hard as some people might. I weigh about 168lbs., but sometimes after a meal I can actually hit 170. Hopefully I'll get up there one day. (6' 3" tall)
Shutup and Deal, I'm Losin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 03:21 PM   #6
Borderstone

Thanks Annie RM & Bill for congrats. and to Deal for replying as well.

Annie I haven't seriously worked out in over a decade but I'm proud of what you've accomplished and envious. Same as I'm envious of "Deal"'s 168 lbs. I haven't been 190 or in very good shape myself since high school!
("Whey" protein,like "curds & whey"?! Ewww! ;p )

Oh yes Bill,Oct. maybe late Spet. is best here in Phx. I'm too prone to heat stroke to try it now. :roll: RM,in Aug. of 1995 I topped out an an embarrasing and uncomfortable .......*228*
(I honestly think,had I gained 2 more lbs. ; I'd have had an unfortuante hospital trip!

My major weight gain was due to,when I got on my own (finally!) in Dec. 1994,I did what some kids in college do. "Unsupervised eating causing weight gain." With my family not around,surprise-surprise,I went kinda hog wild. I ate 3 meals a day but bigger portions than necessary and ..well,I wont say all I ate or what it was,it's kind of gross.

Anyhow,I've realized I'm 39,my God daughter is now 13 and I want to be around for the big events in her life. As well as my personal health.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:52 PM   #7
Dream Street Rose

Hey Borderstone,

I don't mind if you stay around for a long time. The world is a much better place because you are in it.

Maybe Ken will follow your example.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:52 PM   #8
Borderstone

Awwwww,there she goes again! My cheeks are gonna get sore from blushing this much,OW! LOL!

(Charlene,we don't have a laugh out loud smiley!)
Old 08-29-2007, 09:05 PM   #9
charlene

- hope that makes you feel better B..

maybe Florian can help out with a LOL Smilie..
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 06:50 AM   #10
SilverHeels

Well done, B! I am really envious! Keep it up (losing weight, I mean )
Old 08-30-2007, 10:48 AM   #11
Florian

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
- hope that makes you feel better B..

maybe Florian can help out with a LOL Smilie..
Florian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 12:55 PM   #12
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florian View Post
Now that's SERVICE ! Thanks Florian !

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 04:31 PM   #13
Borderstone

Yes,thanks Florian,appreciate it!

Thanks for the kiss Charlene,first in a century! :D Just kiddin'!
Old 08-30-2007, 05:25 PM   #14
charlene

I do what I can...
lol
the rest is up to Florian..
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 09:25 PM   #15
Don Quixote

Way to go, B. No kiss for you, though, even though my wife is gone for the weekend. A hearty handshake, though, and best wishes. The next step for you is to hit the cardio machines! I've made it up to about 1200 calories used per hour, and I'm in much better shape now than 10 years ago, even though, as Annie said, sometimes the genes militate against staying slim (my parents have both been over 250 pounds!). Earlier this month I was in Cuzco, Peru (elevation over 11,000 feet), and was not at all affected by the altitude, while my wife was resting every 5 minutes and sucking down coca tea for the "soroche" (altitude sickness) several times a day. I'm glad you started earlier than I did to get in shape; I took me a visit to the doctor and some VERY high blood pressure readings for me to get the message.
Keep up the good work; it's a life-long job.

Best,
DQ
Don Quixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 07:42 PM   #16
Borderstone

Thanks Don. my apt. complex has some fairly good machines. Hoping to advance that into joining a 24 Hour Fitness (they're opening one up here soon in a previously ocupied building down the street from here.)

I took my pressure today at one of those "in store" machines. I'm not sure which way the #s are supposed to go. 1 number was 138 and the other was 118. My heart rate was 61.
So,Any doctors out there that play one on television?? :D LOL! Clue me in.
Old 09-01-2007, 08:29 AM   #17
Jesse Joe

Hi Borderstone,

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/dci/...BP_WhatIs.html

I am not a doctor but I do know the normal readings for Blood pressure. An adult your age, normal should be, 120/80. If you have hypertension it should not be over 140/90. Your first number is OK but the second being the most important one of the two is high. If the second number is elevated this means your heart is not relaxing normaly.

I hope someone else participates in this, a nurse maybe ? In the meantime I suggest you go see your doctor and have it check. If it happens to be normal that day I would still tell him these numbers. Maybe the machine was not acurate but they are usualy fairly good...

The first number represents the "systolic" pressure, which occurs during the heart's contractions. The second is the "diastolic" pressure, which occurs when the heart rests between contractions.

If your losing weight, that's very good, Im sure your doctor will second this, cut on salt... etc .

One doctor once told me, that having 'High Blood Pressure', and not do anything about it, is like two trains traveling on the same track.

It is known as the 'Silent Killer.' You feel very good, no signs of anything, maybe a little headache from time to time, nausea and nose bleed. But too many times, you feel just great, with 0 signs at all.

Dont want anything bad to happen to greatest nice guy on this Board.

Just looking out for your health B.

Last edited by Jesse Joe; 09-01-2007 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Wanted to add a few more tips, for our friend "B"...
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 09:40 AM   #18
Sheila Ann

Yes, Borderstone, please see your doctor. You might want to go back to the 'in store' machine on a regular basis in order to keep a log until you see a doctor. The machine may need calibration but the log will tell you and doctor what your pattern is.

Very BIG pats on the back for the weight loss...btw!
Sheila Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 12:19 PM   #19
Don Quixote

Hi, again, B.
According to the latest guidelines, you should be aiming to get your BP to 120/80 or better. The second number is, indeed, the most important one. Don't trust the machines that they use to give free readings at the supermarket or other places like that.

You can get a machine from a pharmacy for a fairly reasonable price. Take your BP in the morning, and do it more than once (wait 10 minutes or so between taking it). Some people, like me, have what they call "white coat hypertension", meaning that when I'm at the doctor's office, or when I take my first reading, it's always higher (probably from worrying about the numbers). By the third reading, it's down around where it should be.

High blood pressure can be caused by many factors, especially heredity (my grandmother had a stroke in her 50s; my mother has been treated for years for hypertension). Your weight loss and increased exercise are VERY praiseworthy, and should help. If they don't help enough, be sure to get checked out, and see if you need to be on meds. I've been taking meds for about 7 years, and they've really helped in combination with vigorous exercise (I've gone from 160/110 to about 117/76.).

I don't mean to be your mother, nagging you--just a few thoughts from a fellow Corfidder.

Best,
DQ
Don Quixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 03:58 PM   #20
Patti

Hi Borderstone,
Glad to hear that you are getting into exercising and all, but I think you need to be cautious. That blood pressure sounds too high. Maybe it isn't always like that, but if you start checking it more often, and write it down and date it in a little notebook, you might want to show your doctor. I'm up to 435 little half-mile walks wearing the ankle weights. I started exercising Dec, 4th, but started the walks Jan. 20th.
Take care,
Patti
Patti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 08:14 PM   #21
brink-

Little B - rule of thumb is: your age, up to age 40, plus 100 for the top number and the bottom number should always be under 100 - but hopefully under 90. For women it is the same except subtract 10%. But, don't let your blood pressure rise over this, because as DQ said, those machines in the stores are not always accurate. If you have a doctor they usually will allow you to come in and have a nurse take your bp at no charge. Keep track of it and if you see any significant changes make an appointment. It is best if you have it taken at about the same time everyday or every other day. Another place is to stop at the ambulance barn or the fire house and have an EMT check it for you, they can always use the practice. You might even have a nurse or EMT in your apartment complex that could take it for you.
brink- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 08:25 PM   #22
Borderstone

Many thanks too Jess Sheila Don Patti & Brink for your genuine concern. I'm going back to that machine after I leave here and re-check. mainly because I'm not sure if the # I typed is correct. Hopefully I haven't caused undue worry here.

I'll let you guys know if it's different. in the meantime,I'd like to go see a doctor but I'm not part of a plan that woulf give me a co-pay at htis time. Out of pocket is out of the question for now. I swear I'll get to a doctor ASAP.

I don't want to end up like my grandfather who passed on at 59!
Old 09-02-2007, 08:37 PM   #23
Borderstone

okay,I "have" caused some undue concern here. I re-checked my Sys. & Dia. and BPM's and the reading (thank goodness) was 100 over 63 w/ 76 heart rate. Yay. I di remember wrong before,my biggest apology to all. Now to head home and work out!

See you guys after Labor Day,library and apt. complex office are both closed tomorrow.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:17 PM   #24
Kathy in Michigan

B,
Congrats on the weight loss and the exercise! I just read this thread for the first time and realized I was holding my breath til the last post because of your BP. I'm glad that you rechecked it - I can rest easy now and breathe...
I lost 40 pounds a couple of years ago...gained 20 back. Although I'm a little fluffy, I was at this weight when I got married almost 26 years ago. I guess I'm meant to be here (at this weight, I mean). Good for you for exercising. This is a very difficult thing for me to do, because I JUST DON"T WANT TO!!! I do feel very much more alive when I get exercise. Walking and our Total Gym are two of my favorites. If only.
Kathy in Mich where it is 90 degrees today!
Kathy in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 08:56 PM   #25
Borderstone

Hey Kathy,I never wanted too much either. Such a bore and a drag but it beats..well,not living. Congrats on what you did lose and thank you so much for your concern. Scared myself a bit too!

Right now the weight is See-sawing a bit between 190 & 193 butI think that's just what the scale does after i have dinner. Stupid scale! {LOL}!!