banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 02-16-2003, 03:33 PM   #1
Auburn Annie

Couldn't remember which topic(s) had several discussions about Gord's voice changing over the years (due to age, smoking etc.) but I have to tell you the brouhaha goes on at other sites as well. I was doing some research on rec.music.opera for my mother on Robert Merrill and came across the same back-and-forth about the quality of his baritone today - not that he performs much beyond the occasional National Anthem at a Yankees game, and he's got more than 20 years on Gord (he's 86!) General consensus there is the sonority is still there even if the breath control isn't (which makes it sound like he's rushing through the anthem, but who wouldn't? <g> ) And there's considerable outrage that he hasn't been honored yet by the Kenedy Center for Performing Arts. So it's not just us, folks.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 03:33 PM   #2
Auburn Annie

Couldn't remember which topic(s) had several discussions about Gord's voice changing over the years (due to age, smoking etc.) but I have to tell you the brouhaha goes on at other sites as well. I was doing some research on rec.music.opera for my mother on Robert Merrill and came across the same back-and-forth about the quality of his baritone today - not that he performs much beyond the occasional National Anthem at a Yankees game, and he's got more than 20 years on Gord (he's 86!) General consensus there is the sonority is still there even if the breath control isn't (which makes it sound like he's rushing through the anthem, but who wouldn't? <g> ) And there's considerable outrage that he hasn't been honored yet by the Kenedy Center for Performing Arts. So it's not just us, folks.
Old 02-16-2003, 03:59 PM   #3
Brian 57

Sometimes I think the "honors" don't involve just how you sing, but who you know, who knows you and who owes you. It's nice to think they're all free from influences, clout and the committees' pet, but people are people. If there are honors commitees who are above such influences and recognize performers solely for their talent and impact on society, then they are certainly excepted from my cynical view, and are a bright spot in humanity.
Brian 57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 04:42 PM   #4
SomewhereupinMichigan

Don't forget, though, that Gord has been highly decorated and honored in his native Canada. Certainly there is no questions that Gord's vocal quality is greatly diminished these days but then, other than Art Garfunkel who, at 62, sounds better than ever, I can't think of too many singers who haven't slipped at least a bit! One of my other favorites, David Crosby, is sounding reasonably decent these days despite all his health problems but it would be hard to argue that his tonal quality is today as clear as 30 years ago.

The bottom line on all the accolades and awards, it seems to me, is this: Is the artist content with who he/she is and his/her place in society? I think GL is very comfortable with where he is at and with the awards he has received. Of course, these days, GL is probably just damned glad that he is still here!!!
SomewhereupinMichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 06:29 PM   #5
Auburn Annie

And so are we!! As for honors etc. I think he's gotten just about every one available and doesn't feel a need for any more, though I'm sure he'd be polite about it, mumble a 'thank you very much' and go on his way.
Old 02-16-2003, 06:29 PM   #6
Auburn Annie

And so are we!! As for honors etc. I think he's gotten just about every one available and doesn't feel a need for any more, though I'm sure he'd be polite about it, mumble a 'thank you very much' and go on his way.
Old 02-17-2003, 12:44 AM   #7
Tyler

I had no idea Art Garfunkle was 62! He does sound great though. I have always felt that the US award committees forgot about Gord. He never won a Grammy and some of his songs would qualify for Country. For some reason I have always thought of Sundown as a Country song. I really feel we slighted Gord throughout the years, I am happy that he has gotten many awards in Canada, but I wish we also had honored him as he should have been.
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 12:44 AM   #8
brink

I had no idea Art Garfunkle was 62! He does sound great though. I have always felt that the US award committees forgot about Gord. He never won a Grammy and some of his songs would qualify for Country. For some reason I have always thought of Sundown as a Country song. I really feel we slighted Gord throughout the years, I am happy that he has gotten many awards in Canada, but I wish we also had honored him as he should have been.
brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 05:40 AM   #9
southern_gl_fan

SomewhereupinMichigan: You have pre-empted me. Art Garfunkel is currently here in the UK promoting his new CD. He has done one or two radio programs, and I was surprised to hear that he is 62, but upon reflection he has been around for some time, (Tom & Jerry). I was greatly impressed by the quality of his voice. But Gordon is still 'The man'
With regards to the Grammy. Was 'The Wreck' nominated. If not it should have been. If it was, it should have won.
PS I can't spell, my name should have been, Knotsocooldude
southern_gl_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 05:40 AM   #10
Khotsocooldude

SomewhereupinMichigan: You have pre-empted me. Art Garfunkel is currently here in the UK promoting his new CD. He has done one or two radio programs, and I was surprised to hear that he is 62, but upon reflection he has been around for some time, (Tom & Jerry). I was greatly impressed by the quality of his voice. But Gordon is still 'The man'
With regards to the Grammy. Was 'The Wreck' nominated. If not it should have been. If it was, it should have won.
PS I can't spell, my name should have been, Knotsocooldude
Khotsocooldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 08:33 PM   #11
Lil Hoov

You really made me laugh about not spelling your own name right,I seem to be making those kind of mistakes lately too.With the mention of Art Garfunkel,did you know that he is on the television show; AMERICAN DREAMS? Artie plays the owner of the local record store on that show. I think both Artie and Gordon still sound great,both are favorites of mine of all time. Randy
Old 02-17-2003, 08:33 PM   #12
Lil Hoov

You really made me laugh about not spelling your own name right,I seem to be making those kind of mistakes lately too.With the mention of Art Garfunkel,did you know that he is on the television show; AMERICAN DREAMS? Artie plays the owner of the local record store on that show. I think both Artie and Gordon still sound great,both are favorites of mine of all time. Randy