banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 03-07-2003, 07:10 PM   #1
Borderstone

You know what would be so cool? If there was a movie made about GL's life! The question is,who could play him. Off-hand,I can't think of any "serious" actors that could do it,but get this. I was looking at the back of my copy of East Of Midnight and I could swear by the way Gord was grinning that he looked a little like Jim Carrey! (I hope that's not taken as a put down.) I think Jim could play the thinner/older Lightfoot but for the younger,stronger looking one,I can only picture Will Farrell of SNL. Again,no joke intended. He has sort of the same face,definetly the same hair but...could he and/or Carrey pull it off? So,what's your opinion? Let me know! P.S.-By the way,I've been deleting my past topics as soon as I'm sure there are no more responses. No sense leaving old topics up here. Borderstone,Out. H. & A.B. !
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 07:19 PM   #2
SomewhereupinMichigan

Interesting topic. I seriously doubt anyone would do the G.L. story, but then again some probably said the same about Buddy Holly. Nope...I can't see Gary Busey in this role. And I hesitate to mention it since he's had a string of bombs but how about...Kevin Costner? I think there is some resemblance today between the two, though not when Costner was younger and Gord was younger. Carrey might well be able to pull it off since he's a very good actor but I don't really see as much physical resemblance between Carrey and Gord as I do between Costner and G.L. That's my two Lincoln-head's worth!
SomewhereupinMichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 07:55 PM   #3
Janice

quote:Originally posted by Borderstone:
P.S.-By the way,I've been deleting my past topics as soon as I'm sure there are no more responses. No sense leaving old topics up here. Borderstone,Out. H. & A.B. !

Borderstone, that's no fun. So many new folks who find this site enjoy going back and reading the older topics. Not to mention that if you start a thread and delete that first message, the whole thread including all replies, is deleted. To delete your own messages is one thing, but it's really not fair to delete everyone else's
Janice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 07:59 PM   #4
SomewhereupinMichigan

I have to agree with you Janice. Besides...us "older" guys can't remember whether we've posted to a topic or not, or just thought about posting, without going back and looking!
SomewhereupinMichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 09:25 PM   #5
brink

I agree with the Kevin Costner, I also heard that Kevin Spacey was going to do a Bobby Darin movie. In some pictures of Spacey I can see a resemblence to Darin. I think that would be a good movie. But as with the Buddy Holly movie it has been a long time since these singers have passed and Kevin Costner might just not age as well as our Gordon in years to come.
brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 09:55 PM   #6
TheWatchman

I would have to say Bryan Cranston--"Dr. Tim Watley". He was the dentist on Seinfeld. He is a dead ringer for Lightfoot. Kinda even sounds the same when he talks. He looks like a young Lightfoot.
TheWatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2003, 05:25 AM   #7
Gord

The other person that comes to mind is Eric Braeden from that soap opera. http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet...personid-26175

Gord himself said he looks like Eric LOL
Old 03-08-2003, 05:27 AM   #8
Gord

Oh by the way how did you attach that picture??? I checked the source and it revealed you used HTML code, yet is says here that HTML is off when I reply.
Old 03-08-2003, 09:28 AM   #9
Cowboy Jim

Gord. When you post. To the left of the box you write in, It has: *UBB Code is ON,
click on that and you get a whole raft usefull info. It will explain how to post pictures. Example [img]www.texasbluesmusic.com/Texas_Blue_Welcome.jpg[/img]
Old 03-08-2003, 09:33 AM   #10
Cowboy Jim

Sorry Gord, It does not seem to like that picture. Try again.
Old 03-08-2003, 09:38 AM   #11
Cowboy Jim

I have spotted my deliberate mistake. Here we go again.
Old 03-08-2003, 10:01 AM   #12
Rob1956

Does anyone think that Alan Jackson looks like Gord circa '72?
Rob1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2003, 10:09 AM   #13
titan

I just saw some old footage of Lindsey Buckingham (Fleetwood Mac) and thought I saw
a pretty good resemblance to GL.
They looked somewhat alike when they both had alot of hair and beards.
Old 03-08-2003, 11:53 AM   #14
formerlylavender

lavender
unregistered posted August 12, 2002 13:52
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think the dentist on Seinfeld resembles youngish Gord...he's quite handsome, by the way.
IP: Logged

Watchman, glad to see you agree with me.
formerlylavender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2003, 08:06 PM   #15
brink

I vote for the dentist!
brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 04:44 PM   #16
Borderstone

I didn't think about the fact that everyone elses replies would get deleted too. I guess I just thought that once a topics been answered there was no more need for it. I also thought that since we have topics going back to '99,I din't think I should clutter up the board. Anyway,yeah that guy from Seinfeld looks pretty much like him. Is he the on who had the Penthouse Mags. in his office? If so,that episode put me off of seeing a dentist for awhile. Good choice though. I wish I could play the role,but I look very little like him. I can sing like him though. Borderstone,O.H. & A.B.
Old 03-10-2003, 05:44 PM   #17
TheWatchman

Yep.lol He's the dentist that had the Penthouse mags in his office. Also the dentist that was going to take Elaine to the SuperBowl and also the same one that converted to the Jewish faith so he could tell Jewish jokes. He is also the dad on Malcolm in the middle.
TheWatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 05:48 PM   #18
dglatta

Bruce Springsteen
dglatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 07:21 AM   #19
MotherofaMinersChild

For the young Gord - Luke Perry. Maybe with a perm, he could do the middle aged Gord too. And I couldn't help but think as I watched the SAG awards Sunday night that Clint Eastwood wouldn't make a bad "Waiting for You" and beyond Gord.
MotherofaMinersChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 06:41 PM   #20
Brian 57

Clint Eastwood's a good choice-- ever see his movie "Honkey Tonk Man"? (at least I think that's what it was called.
Brian 57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 10:32 PM   #21
walls

Send a message via MSN to walls

Too much emphasis on a look-a-like and not enough comment on who can capture style, poise, manner and presentation. Who can emit the aura, articulate what goes on in the head that produces the beauty and complexity of music and the poetry of the lyrics. Who can portray the man, bring what's inside to life and have it transposed to film; this transcends the music and also must include the personal side of his life. This is a difficult one. Musicians are generally, by nature, very complex, and the simplicity of movies loses that which actually forms and makes the artist. Difficult.
walls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 04:01 PM   #22
Borderstone

You know something? I just realized this today. Now,don't make fun but I'm serious. I took a good look at myself in the mirror and you know,I actually do kind of look like an early Lightfoot! Not perfectly,but pretty darn close! What's more,I can sing like he does and with a little practice I think I could bring out the essence of the man. I wonder,is Ron Howard available to direct? Once again,I'm not joking. I can't post a picture but I kid you not! Borderstone,outta here & Alberta Bound! Or is it Hollywood ???????
Old 03-13-2003, 05:37 PM   #23
psa

The tough thing about biopics is that most
of them stink. Either boring or superficial or glossy praise or hung up on hitting the main public high points of the person's life rather than being character driven.
This can be especially true when portraying
an artist, writer, etc. as visualizing the creative process is rather difficult. Sitting down and writing on paper, thinking, strumming for hours isn't quite the same as a car chase or explosions.

But anyway, Ethan Hawke might make an interesting choice.

Ideally, the person cast should be able to
play & sing. I think that was a contributing factor to why "Coal Miner's Daughter" or "The Buddy Holly Story" were superior efforts. Mostly though, it was in the writing.

Old 03-13-2003, 10:02 PM   #24
walls

Send a message via MSN to walls

psa has got it right.

Sorry, Borderstone, but I could say I look like an early Lightfoot, although my mirror may have shattered, and I have performed his music for over 30 years. That would mean I can play guitar and sing, so can the chimp I saw with the music grinder, but let's not be presumptuous and think that this brings out the essence of the man. Only joking!

psa, you did get it right.
walls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 10:33 PM   #25
mytoyota@earthlink.net

How about one of Gords sons, the older most likely. He knows him well enough and probably looks like him too?
Just a thought!
Kim

------------------
paperback dreams . . .
mytoyota@earthlink.net is offline   Reply With Quote