banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > Small Talk

Old 07-26-2011, 02:42 PM   #1
Auburn Annie

Default Dan Peek (of the group America) dead at 60

Dan Peek, a founding member of folk rockers America, passed away on Sunday, July 24 Billboard reports. The 60-year-old's cause of death is still unknown.

Peek, who wrote the hit song 'Lonely People,' left the band in 1977 to pursue a solo career in Christian Rock. Former bandmate Dewey Bunnel writes on his website of loss of his friend:

"I am so sorry to learn of Dan's passing. Dan, along with Gerry [Beckley] and myself, formed the band America as teenagers after being great friends in high school during the late '60s. It was a joyous time for the three of us, full of excitement and laughter. We created lasting music together and experienced a life that we could never have imagined. Dan was an equal and integral part of that early history, and I have never forgotten the good times we spent making that music and learning about life together."

Peek and his former colleagues reportedly had no bad blood, and were even considering reuniting for their Hollywood Walk of Fame star ceremony next year. America were a breakthrough band, with their first single 'A Horse With No Name' hitting the top of the charts in 1971. The band scored eight Top 40 hits in the first half of the '70s.

"Dan wrote some songs, Dan played lead guitar and Dan sang the high harmonies -- so at the end of the day his contributions have never been questions," Bunnell told Billboard shortly before Peek's death.

After consistently traveling, touring and dabbling with drugs and alcohol, Peek quit the band and became a born-again Christian, embarking on a more righteous musical career. In 1986, he re-recorded 'Lonely People' with verses praising Jesus Christ instead of the original lyrics.

His official website simply states "Dan went to Heaven on July 24." He is survived by his wife Catherine.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 12:04 AM   #2
BendRick

Default Re: Dan Peek (of the group America) dead at 60

I was a teenager in the 1970's, and America (the band) was accepted & played often in our Southern California home. Their music became a tradition on desert camping trips in the 1970's & 1980's. Those were such fun, simple times. I'm not saying America will always be related to "Horse with no name," actually I enjoyed all of their other albums that seemed to start with the letter "H". America CDs are still required listening on road trips to this day. I saw them in concert at John Ascuaga's Nugget in 1999, Sparks, Nevada, but don't recall if Dan Peek was there. Anyway I really enjoyed their music & Dan's part in that. Thanks Dan for your work.
BendRick is offline   Reply With Quote