banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2008, 01:52 PM   #1
christine75

Default Last night's east lansing concert

Well sorry it took so long to report back about last night's concert in east lansing, but i was busy today moving all my stuff out of my house.

Anyways, last night's concert was amazing. Gordon seemed to be in an extremely happy mood. Was great to hear, If children had wings. Played alot of songs and he even played a bob dylan tune too. Still no luck meeting gordon yet....maybe next time.

Last edited by christine75; 09-27-2008 at 01:54 PM.
christine75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 02:23 PM   #2
Patti

Default Re: Last night's east lansing concert

Thanks for posting even though you're extremely busy.

I'm glad he was in such a good mood. Sorry he didn't get to meet you yet. Maybe next time.
Patti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 02:25 PM   #3
Jesse Joe

Well it's never too late christine75, thanks for the review. What Dylan song did he sing, was it "Ring Them Bells" ?
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 03:22 PM   #4
christine75

Hi jesse joe,

It was ring them bells. It was such a great song to hear.
Old 09-27-2008, 05:51 PM   #5
Jesse Joe

Thanks christine75, Gord sings that song very well... Bob Dylan must be proud !
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 05:06 PM   #6
just ducky

We were there too. We've seen him many times over the last 25 years, and have always enjoyed his music, so we never miss a chance to see him when he comes near. I play guitar, and learned many of his songs in my teens, so I know many of the songs, both words and chords, by heart. However we're a bit concerned in that we both thought that his voice was as weak as we've ever heard him. He just didn't seem to have the volume that he always has had. I even noticed that there was very little back up singing this time because they would've overpowered his voice. Wondering if this is lasting affects from his illness in '02? Or maybe just a cold? Anyone notice that, or know anything about whether his health is an issue?

Heck, the guy is almost 70! The music was great as usual...they never seem to miss a beat. And being a guitar player, with arthritis already hampering my playing in my late 40's, I truly admire his ability to play at 70! Amazing. And on a really positive note, he played some of his more obscure songs ("If Children Had Wings" for one), which I've never heard him play in concert.
just ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 07:47 AM   #7
christine75

I has happy to hear him sing minstrel of the dawn too. Looking forward to the march 15, 2009 concert at the temple theater in saginaw.
Old 09-29-2008, 05:31 PM   #8
paddletothesea

Quote:
Originally Posted by just ducky View Post
We were there too. We've seen him many times over the last 25 years, and have always enjoyed his music, so we never miss a chance to see him when he comes near. I play guitar, and learned many of his songs in my teens, so I know many of the songs, both words and chords, by heart. However we're a bit concerned in that we both thought that his voice was as weak as we've ever heard him. He just didn't seem to have the volume that he always has had. I even noticed that there was very little back up singing this time because they would've overpowered his voice. Wondering if this is lasting affects from his illness in '02? Or maybe just a cold? Anyone notice that, or know anything about whether his health is an issue?

Heck, the guy is almost 70! The music was great as usual...they never seem to miss a beat. And being a guitar player, with arthritis already hampering my playing in my late 40's, I truly admire his ability to play at 70! Amazing. And on a really positive note, he played some of his more obscure songs ("If Children Had Wings" for one), which I've never heard him play in concert.

Cigerettes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think he's still smoking even since his injury but maybe not. That will change anyones voice.
paddletothesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 06:03 PM   #9
Oh, Linda

Quote:
Originally Posted by just ducky View Post

I think he was having sinus trouble. The following night in K-Zoo he bent over, mid-song, on numerous occassions and finally during a break between songs said "you'll have to pardon me, I'm trying to clear my sinuses." Then he paused as he bent forward, stood back up, saying "thanks for your patience." So it appeared anyway that he may have been having sinus trouble. I'd forgotten about it until I read your post today. I agree, his playing is still top notch and a joy to listen to. Matter of fact, if his voice ever does give out I'd pay to just hear him play the guitar

Last edited by Oh, Linda; 09-29-2008 at 06:06 PM.
Oh, Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 08:06 PM   #10
buzzard

<<However we're a bit concerned in that we both thought that his voice was as weak as we've ever heard him. He just didn't seem to have the volume that he always has had. I even noticed that there was very little back up singing this time because they would've overpowered his voice. Wondering if this is lasting affects from his illness in '02? Or maybe just a cold? Anyone notice that, or know anything about whether his health is an issue?>>

I agree. The Lansing show was the weakest I've ever heard his voice, with the possible exception of his very first full concert in Hamilton, following his illness. Over the last few years I've found his voice was often weak or strained for the first few songs, but that it would eventually strengthen, at least for the middle part of the show. On Friday, he seemed to struggle during every song. He did bend over several times during the concert between songs - I think to try to clear his sinuses. I may be imaging things, but it even seemed to me that the tempo of some songs was a bit slower, to allow him to catch breaths. I'm hoping the difficulty at Lansing was a temporary condition due to sinus/cold problems.

All that said, I still look at each concert as a bonus. And when his voice is straining, I can still picture a time when that strong baritone and those incredible lyrics were so awesome.

Brian
buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 08:24 PM   #11
just ducky

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard View Post
I agree. The Lansing show was the weakest I've ever heard his voice, with the possible exception of his very first full concert in Hamilton, following his illness. Over the last few years I've found his voice was often weak or strained for the first few songs, but that it would eventually strengthen, at least for the middle part of the show. On Friday, he seemed to struggle during every song. He did bend over several times during the concert between songs - I think to try to clear his sinuses. I may be imaging things, but it even seemed to me that the tempo of some songs was a bit slower, to allow him to catch breaths. I'm hoping the difficulty at Lansing was a temporary condition due to sinus/cold problems.

All that said, I still look at each concert as a bonus. And when his voice is straining, I can still picture a time when that strong baritone and those incredible lyrics were so awesome.

Brian
Yeah I wondered about the couple times he leaned over and looked as if he was about to faint. Let's all hope it is a sinus thing or some other temporary illness.

I agree with you Brian that he is still amazing to watch in concert. As a guitar player myself (but an admitted hack ) I tend to watch all of the musicians hands when playing (to my wife's dismay). And to think he's nearly 70 and can still do what he does is amazing. Heck, I just turned 48 and my arthritis gives me fits when playing guitar at times.

He's still a legend...weak or not.
just ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 08:31 PM   #12
Auburn Annie

Sinus problems can be wicked (been there etc) and can affect not only the sinus and nasal passages but throat as well as hearing; hell on a singer, I should think. Hope he's drinking a lot of hot tea with lemon and/or honey and has consulted his doctor. Sinus problems have a way of blooming into nasty infections; on my last go round I needed three prescriptions and several weeks to recover.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 07:44 AM   #13
christine75

and that is the last thing gordon needs is an infection. hope is feeling better already.