banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2015, 08:32 PM   #1
charlene

Default UTICA article

http://www.uticaod.com/article/20151105/NEWS/151109685

By PETER FRANCHELL

Posted Nov. 5, 2015 at 3:26 PM

UTICA
Gordon Lightfoot has had a long career.
Spanning five decades, the Canadian singer-songwriter has received 16 Juno awards (the Canadian equivalent of a Grammy Award), has been nominated for five Grammy Awards and won countless other awards for his prolific music.

You’ll get a chance to experience it live as he takes the stage at 8 p.m. Sunday at the Stanley Center for the Arts.

Lightfoot started writing music while still in high school and moved to the United States in the early 1950s to study music at Westlake College of Music in California. In 1960, he missed Canada and returned to work on his music.

Although he had hits in Canada, his first international success came in 1971 with “If You Could Read my Mind.” A poetic song about love and loss, it set the tone for what Lightfoot calls “folk music, but not traditional.” As Lightfoot straddled the lines between folk, folk-rock and country music, he helped define the folk-pop sound of the ’60s and ’70s.

His next hit, reaching No.1 on the Billboard charts, was “Sundown,” released in 1974. This song, as Lightfoot explained, was about a relationship he had with Cathy Smith, later more infamously known for her involvement in the 1982 drug-related death of actor John Belushi.

“It was written very quickly in the back of my house,” Lightfoot said in a phone interview. It’s this introspective approach to the lyrical content of his music that sets Lightfoot apart from his contemporaries, drawing more from inward inspiration rather than from the outside world.

“You have to love the work and be happy to maintain (yourself). I love the work, and that I can still do it, I feel lucky,” he said.

For the 76 year old Lightfoot, to “maintain (yourself)” involves an exercise regiment that allows him to “stay prepared (with) physical conditioning and play (guitar) everyday.” This allows him to get his music heard the traditional way.

As Lightfoot puts it, “the best way to do it is by the sweat of your brow … and tour.”
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 05:16 PM   #2
charlene

Default UTICA NY-Nov.8,2015

RICK: On Sunday, we moved East to Utica, NY, in the Mohawk Valley, Oneida County, and played in this beautiful old Stanley Center, part of the original Warner Brothers chain of theaters.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg utica ny.-nov.8-2015.jpg (93.6 KB, 466 views)
File Type: jpg utica ny-nov.8-2015.jpg (156.6 KB, 458 views)
Old 11-11-2015, 10:53 AM   #3
Travis

Default Re: UTICA NY-Nov.8,2015

I was there. Really great show! Setlist:

The Watchman's Gone
Waiting for You
All the Lovely Ladies
I'd Rather Press On
A Painter Passing Through
Christian Island
Shadows
Beautiful
Much to My Surprise
Cold on the Shoulder
Carefree Highway
Did She Mention My Name
Ribbon of Darkness
Sundown

The Pony Man
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald
Never Too Close
Minstrel of the Dawn
Let it Ride
Make Way for the Lady
If You Could Read My Mind
Restless
Baby Step Back
Early Morning Rain

Rainy Day People
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 11:48 AM   #4
charlene

thanks Travis!! how was the show - more details!!!
???
Old 11-12-2015, 03:51 PM   #5
Travis

It was such a good show! He was in good form and great voice. Lots of talking and joking between songs. His voice sounded quite a bit stronger than when I saw him in Erie a few months ago.

Funny story about this show... I found out about it and logged on to get tickets a few weeks after they went on sale. I had a choice - bring my girlfriend, or get the single, 3rd row, dead center seat that remained.

I love my girlfriend, and I've seen Gord more times than I can remember ... but I took the single seat :-P
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote