banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2008, 08:42 PM   #26
mandoann

Default Re: Does Gord ever tell jokes on stage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfowles View Post
Nobody has yet mentioned Gord's current pair of jokes in rotation,these being
How long is the hare on a rabbit's back?
About 2.5/3 seconds
!why is the moon pale?
Because it's been out all night!
He did them both at Cerritos...

- if you meet him you will be/ the victim of his minstrelsy/ he'll sing for you a song

"You could wrap me around your finger"
mandoann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 08:44 PM   #27
mandoann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patti View Post
That's funny and cute. Good find.
I totally agree!

- if you meet him you will be/ the victim of his minstrelsy/ he'll sing for you a song

Old 10-21-2008, 10:25 PM   #28
Patti

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandoann View Post
I totally agree!
Patti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 09:21 AM   #29
davidgledhill

I remember a concert in Massey Hall, when I was ushering. Maybe it was a result of the couple of cases of beer we ushers had to unload from Bernie Fiedler's mercedez in the lane bseide the stage door before the concert, but Lightfoot came out very much the worse for wear, I think, it was after intermission - I think he was going through his divorce, but he cracked a number of fairly earthy jokes at the expense of his ex.Half the audience thought it was halarious and the other half was somewhat aghast at the earthiness of it all.
davidgledhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 09:41 AM   #30
SherylKat

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidgledhill View Post
I remember a concert in Massey Hall, when I was ushering. Maybe it was a result of the couple of cases of beer we ushers had to unload from Bernie Fiedler's mercedez in the lane bseide the stage door before the concert, but Lightfoot came out very much the worse for wear, I think, it was after intermission - I think he was going through his divorce, but he cracked a number of fairly earthy jokes at the expense of his ex.Half the audience thought it was halarious and the other half was somewhat aghast at the earthiness of it all.
Hi, Davidgledhill! Never have spoken to you before, so nice to meetcha. I so laughed when I read your quote - I've seen that "earthy" humor many times and most of the audience thinks it's funny, some don't. Had to smile, remembering some of the recent quotes about him wishing he'd stayed with his first wife! More than likely, a result of having a recent fight with his estranged wife or a new girlfriend! He's never had a problem changing his mind at the drop of a hat (witness his conv. with Char - first he said he wouldn't have a bio, then he would, then he wouldn't again). Not a putdown by any means - he's just being human! Guess some fans don't like that side of him and prefer to think he's always the sensitive singer-songwriter. First time I ever saw him in concert was in 1975 and I think he was in about the same shape on stage you talk about - he was SO FUNNY. He's got a great sense of humor! I like to see him like that much more than depressed!...SherylKat
Old 10-22-2008, 10:34 AM   #31
Jesse Joe

That is the Lightfoot I wish I had seen in concert at least once. Because when in concert on CBC TV "Olympic Tribute" (1980) and "Olympic Team Benefit" in (1976) He was feeling "NO PAIN" to sort of speak. And I had never seen him yet live...

So when I finally got to see him in concert for the first time in Halifax Nova-Scotia, on 10/24/87. I knew he had quit drinking Labor Day 1982, and he was a class act.

Can only imagine what I've missed thru the 70's.
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 01:50 PM   #32
SherylKat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Joe View Post
That is the Lightfoot I wish I had seen in concert at least once. Because when in concert on CBC TV "Olympic Tribute" (1980) and "Olympic Team Benefit" in (1976) He was feeling "NO PAIN" to sort of speak. And I had never seen him yet live...

So when I finally got to see him in concert for the first time in Halifax Nova-Scotia, on 10/24/87. I knew he had quit drinking Labor Day 1982, and he was a class act.

Can only imagine what I've missed thru the 70's.
Hi, JJ! Nothing bad, he was just much LOOSER than he normally is and would also pretend to fall off the piano bench, stuff like that...he wasn't so swacked he couldn't do the "Auctioneer," which I couldn't do totally sober, ever! I was pretty naive back then and wasn't offended...(was I ever THAT young?@? LOL) The only reason I remember is because other people gasped and then laughed so hard because they weren't expecting it from him.

Some people would even take offense at the hair (hare) on the rabbit joke - you know? I wish some people would just LIGHTEN UP - we're all getting 'way too serious here!!!
Old 10-22-2008, 03:57 PM   #33
mandoann

Hi Sherylkat,

Did you see him playing the piano, or was he just sitting on the bench? I'd love to have seen that!

Old 10-22-2008, 10:20 PM   #34
SherylKat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandoann View Post
Hi Sherylkat,

Did you see him playing the piano, or was he just sitting on the bench? I'd love to have seen that!
Hi, there! I can see it like it was yesterday! I remember him playing "Fine as Fine Can Be" and I remember being shocked he could play piano (I thought he only played guitar - I wish he'd do that more in concert - I only remember him playing guitar maybe twice or three times). He might have played another quick song on the piano and then yep, he actually pretended to fall off the bench! I really only remember him playing "Fine As Fine Can Be" but I can't believe he'd try to lighten the mood after that song, since it was written for Ingrid! He was just so funny that night - lots of energy, cracking jokes after every song, it seemed. So different than what I had imagined he would be. April 11, 1975, not that it changed my life at all!
Old 10-22-2008, 10:43 PM   #35
SherylKat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutup and Deal, I'm Losin' View Post
Speaking of the joke about the 'tenor' twelve guitar, here's the joke again at :25.

YouTube - Gordon Lightfoot and Johnny Cash For Lovin' Me.flv
Hey, thanks so much for sharing this - not so much for the joke but the incredible harmony! I don't think I remember hearing GML sing so high, and I loved it when he says something to the effect, "...can't do this, it hurts!" Looks like I'm going to have to join YouTube so I can save some of these!

SherylKat
Old 10-22-2008, 10:44 PM   #36
SherylKat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SherylKat View Post
Hey, thanks so much for sharing this - not so much for the joke but the incredible harmony! I don't think I remember hearing GML sing so high, and I loved it when he says something to the effect, "...can't do this, it hurts!" Looks like I'm going to have to join YouTube so I can save some of these!

SherylKat
Also, do you know when the Cash clip was made? 196-what?
Old 10-22-2008, 10:50 PM   #37
SherylKat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
Oct 1 in St. Louis, just before the song "Beautiful"

"Meet me by the rock pile honey, and I'll get a little boulder (bolder) for ya."
READING SOME OF HIS JOKES (does he know a pun is the lowest form of humor - and in my opinion, some of the funniest!) reminds me of my stepbrother, who is about Gord's age - maybe three years older! My stepbrother and GML couldn't be more different, but the humor's the same! SherylKat
Old 10-23-2008, 02:22 AM   #38
Andy T.

Send a message via AIM to Andy T.

(man, I haven't been on corfid in ages!)

Anyway, one of my GL favorite jokes, was one I heard on a bootleg tape of a concert, can't remember the date, probably mid 80s - he takes a drink (of water I presume), then comments that he'd quit drinking, and that nowadays... "I don't drink anything stronger than pop.... and my Pop'll drink anything!"

-Andy
Old 10-23-2008, 04:28 AM   #39
joveski

i think that was in 82 or 84. i heard the same one back then (on a bootleg!)
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 02:12 PM   #40
SherylKat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy T. View Post
(man, I haven't been on corfid in ages!)

Anyway, one of my GL favorite jokes, was one I heard on a bootleg tape of a concert, can't remember the date, probably mid 80s - he takes a drink (of water I presume), then comments that he'd quit drinking, and that nowadays... "I don't drink anything stronger than pop.... and my Pop'll drink anything!"

-Andy
SO BAD! And I'm still laughing...SherylKat

Hey, somebody should compile a list of these and make a book out of it! Now, I can say this because I'm German, both sides, but one of my favorite jokes is, "What's one of the smallest books in the world? "A Treasury of German Humor"!
Old 10-23-2008, 10:27 PM   #41
Travis

Couple years ago at Massey, he told the "How do you get to Carnegie Hall" joke.

"Practice."
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 07:19 AM   #42
Jesse Joe

This last one is a good one Travis, never heard it before.
Old 10-24-2008, 09:17 AM   #43
Shutup and Deal, I'm Losin'
spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SherylKat View Post

SherylKat
No problem. My pleasure to post it on here.

If you join youtube, be sure to think the member who put this video on there.
Shutup and Deal, I'm Losin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 08:21 PM   #44
joveski

listening to Massey 75 right now and gord just said during the band intros "one of our old cofarts... cohorts, red shea on lead guitar!"

later on, he screwed up a line from 'Too late for praying' and yelled "oh shit!" as he tried to get back to the right lyrics.

seems like those 70s concerts were quite loose!

Last edited by joveski; 10-24-2008 at 11:14 PM.
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 10:52 AM   #45
Jesse Joe

Hi Joveski,

He broke that fingernail in 1974.

Read this old news article that I had saved at the time.

You should click on it maybe 3 times, till it's big enough to read.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scan0001.jpg
Views:	540
Size:	312.6 KB
ID:	2230  

Last edited by Jesse Joe; 10-25-2008 at 10:55 AM.