banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 03-16-2007, 11:28 AM   #1
nanjan

I have met Gordon twice, and I'd like to share my stories with you.

I first met him in 1999 in Ottawa. It was my first Lightfoot show and I got tickets the day of the show. They were the last two tickets left in the NAC so I was lucky to snag 'em.

The show was great. Although my friend and I got there two songs into the first set. (I'm told he opened with "Beautiful"). He ended the first set with "Edmund Fitzgerald."

During intermission, my friend said "Are you thinking what I'm thinking?"
To which I said "Meet him after the show? Great idea!"

The second set was even better than the first. I was really disapointed when he had to introduce "Canadian Railroad Trilogy." That song needs no intro... although the story behind it is cool.

On a side note, the crowd in Ottawa sucked. They were lifeless. When I go to a show, I want to be standing and singing alaong with the artist. GL was doing his best to get people into it, but... nothing.

We went to the stage door and... GL came out!!
"Hi!" he said.
I was the first one in line and I approached him. He signed my ticket for me. We then talked for twenty minutes. Here's some things he said to me I'll never forget:

"Mr. Lightfoot? Or may I call you Gordon?"
"You can call me Gordon, if you like." *laughs*

"I love the TEARS ARE NOT ENOUGH documentory and single. If you had the chance to do that again, would you do it?"
"Sure. Do you know David Foster?"

"Gordon, do you have any advice for someone like me who is trying to make it in the music industry?"
"Keep the catalogue coming. Keep writing and perform whenever you can. Above all, don't give up."

"My band is thinking of covering CANADIAN RAILROAD TRILOGY"
"Okay."
"We want to do a rock version of it."
GL looks at me as if I have completely lost my mind and says "I don't know why you would want to, but okay."
I then say "Well, what I'm trying to say is, may In have your permission to do that?
He then shakes my hand and says "Andy, you have my blessing."

Isn that cool or what? We then said "good bye" and I left... on cloud nine.

Last September, I recorded the song.

In November of last year, he came back to Ottawa. The sets were great. The crowd was lifeless as ever.

GL and I met for the second time. He vaugly remembered me until I mentioned the CRT cover.

I had the CD with me and I attepmted to give it to him when his bodyguard stepped in and said "I'll take that."

I told him how much his music meant to me and how much an influence he was to my work. I thanked for all that.
"Well, I'm glad to be of service, Andy" he said

GL signed two CD's for me and then talked to some other people.

1. I think I came off as a blithering idiot when we met the second time.
2. I'll never know whether he heard the CRT cover or not.

But those are my stories. Hope you enjoyed them.

Simpson
nanjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 11:28 AM   #2
Simpson

I have met Gordon twice, and I'd like to share my stories with you.

I first met him in 1999 in Ottawa. It was my first Lightfoot show and I got tickets the day of the show. They were the last two tickets left in the NAC so I was lucky to snag 'em.

The show was great. Although my friend and I got there two songs into the first set. (I'm told he opened with "Beautiful"). He ended the first set with "Edmund Fitzgerald."

During intermission, my friend said "Are you thinking what I'm thinking?"
To which I said "Meet him after the show? Great idea!"

The second set was even better than the first. I was really disapointed when he had to introduce "Canadian Railroad Trilogy." That song needs no intro... although the story behind it is cool.

On a side note, the crowd in Ottawa sucked. They were lifeless. When I go to a show, I want to be standing and singing alaong with the artist. GL was doing his best to get people into it, but... nothing.

We went to the stage door and... GL came out!!
"Hi!" he said.
I was the first one in line and I approached him. He signed my ticket for me. We then talked for twenty minutes. Here's some things he said to me I'll never forget:

"Mr. Lightfoot? Or may I call you Gordon?"
"You can call me Gordon, if you like." *laughs*

"I love the TEARS ARE NOT ENOUGH documentory and single. If you had the chance to do that again, would you do it?"
"Sure. Do you know David Foster?"

"Gordon, do you have any advice for someone like me who is trying to make it in the music industry?"
"Keep the catalogue coming. Keep writing and perform whenever you can. Above all, don't give up."

"My band is thinking of covering CANADIAN RAILROAD TRILOGY"
"Okay."
"We want to do a rock version of it."
GL looks at me as if I have completely lost my mind and says "I don't know why you would want to, but okay."
I then say "Well, what I'm trying to say is, may In have your permission to do that?
He then shakes my hand and says "Andy, you have my blessing."

Isn that cool or what? We then said "good bye" and I left... on cloud nine.

Last September, I recorded the song.

In November of last year, he came back to Ottawa. The sets were great. The crowd was lifeless as ever.

GL and I met for the second time. He vaugly remembered me until I mentioned the CRT cover.

I had the CD with me and I attepmted to give it to him when his bodyguard stepped in and said "I'll take that."

I told him how much his music meant to me and how much an influence he was to my work. I thanked for all that.
"Well, I'm glad to be of service, Andy" he said

GL signed two CD's for me and then talked to some other people.

1. I think I came off as a blithering idiot when we met the second time.
2. I'll never know whether he heard the CRT cover or not.

But those are my stories. Hope you enjoyed them.

Simpson
Old 03-16-2007, 12:36 PM   #3
charlene

I don't know who his "bodyguard" was but probably took it so Gord wouldn't have to hold it while meeting other fans and signing autographs etc..

IT's always nice to hear stories about meeting The Man..and you're not the only one who feels like they came off as blithering idiots..it's a recurring theme of mine after speaking with him...
lol
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 12:36 PM   #4
charlene

I don't know who his "bodyguard" was but probably took it so Gord wouldn't have to hold it while meeting other fans and signing autographs etc..

IT's always nice to hear stories about meeting The Man..and you're not the only one who feels like they came off as blithering idiots..it's a recurring theme of mine after speaking with him...
lol
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 01:04 PM   #5
Gitchigumee

That's pretty cool. Great stories! Oh how I wish I could spend time talking to him some day... But alas, I'm sure I'd be another blithering idiot in a long line of blithering idiots, so I think I'd best leave alone. Some dreams are meant to stay dreams. But I'm so glad yours came true.
"There was a time in this fair land when the railroad did not run. When the wild majestic mountains stood alone against the sun. Long before the white man, and long before the wheel. When the green dark forest was too silent to be real."
Gitchigumee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 02:12 PM   #6
RM

Quote:
Originally posted by Simpson:

On a side note, the crowd in Ottawa sucked. They were lifeless. When I go to a show, I want to be standing and singing alaong with the artist.
Nice stories.

However, I think it more likely that the crowd was listening rather than dead. Personally, I would much rather hear the performer sing than the audience.
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 04:10 PM   #7
GoofyGurl

I agree with RMD, about the crowd listening. I know
when we saw Gord in Aurora, IL last year, the crowd was quieter than a library at 3 a.m., during "If You Could Read My Mind" but loud applause afterwards.

It was a magic moment - as if everyone were holding their breath during the entire song.
GoofyGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 04:10 PM   #8
Kelly Davis

I agree with RMD, about the crowd listening. I know
when we saw Gord in Aurora, IL last year, the crowd was quieter than a library at 3 a.m., during "If You Could Read My Mind" but loud applause afterwards.

It was a magic moment - as if everyone were holding their breath during the entire song.
Kelly Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 05:04 PM   #9
Borderstone

Hi Simpson. Terrific stories! You shouldn't feel like you were a "blithering idiot" though.
I mean wow!....you got his permission to do a CRT cover!

People who hold someone famous in a light of admiration,just have a tendency to expect more than what actually will be when they meet that person.

I think we all picture a perfect scenario of conversation with them but the truth of it is,what we are actually doing is meeting a stranger.

We believe we really know this person from their works but just like meeting anybody,we really don't. I think for your first meeting though you did better than most.

Don't sweat the second one,Gord didn't recall me either but then again the first time,
I was out there with 29 other people! :D

Mine seems to be the reverse of yours.
When I met him the second time,I had more to say and certainly had a more fulfilling experience.

Thanks again for sharing!
Old 03-16-2007, 07:36 PM   #10
Simpson

I just wonder if there is a way to find out whether he heard the cover?

When nI put it online, I'll let you guys know, okay?

Simpson.
Old 03-19-2007, 05:54 PM   #11
Jennifer

Quote:
Originally posted by Simpson:
I just wonder if there is a way to find out whether he heard the cover?

When nI put it online, I'll let you guys know, okay?

Simpson.
Am I to understand correctly your music group covered CRT? Thats cool! Why don't you just write to Gordon and ask if he has had a chance to hear it? Can't hurt to try.

Can't wait to hear it, please do share.
Jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote