banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 02-21-2008, 06:16 PM   #1
Gitchigumee

Default Harry Tracy

I FINALLY saw the movie, Harry Tracy. What a trip! Gord is quite the actor isn't he? I just loved it!

Unfortunately, the copy I had rented from Blockbuster Online was very poor quality. Several parts appeared to be "overexposed" and the sound quality was very bad. I had to turn the volume up all the way for most of the movie, in order to hear what was being said.

I thought Bruce Dern was GREAT in the lead role. I am normally not a big fan of Bruce Dern, and so I was very pleasantly surprised. He was awesome.

The song, My Love For You, is terrific (you're right, Borderstone). I loved it!

All in all, viewing this movie at long last was a great experience. Great movie, great acting, great song, and best of all...Gordon Lightfoot. What a treat!

Now somebody please tell me how I can go about getting that song for my collection!!! I suppose I could buy the DVD and somehow copy it onto a CD (is that possible?).
"There was a time in this fair land when the railroad did not run. When the wild majestic mountains stood alone against the sun. Long before the white man, and long before the wheel. When the green dark forest was too silent to be real."
Gitchigumee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 08:41 AM   #2
Jesse Joe

Default Re: Harry Tracy

Hi Gitch,

Your saying, "Gord is quite the actor isn't he"? He for one would not agree with you. After he saw the movie when it was all finished, and he also did a Hotel appearance on that TV show, where he played a former drunken country singer, named Joe Daniels making a comeback. He said in an interview, that he wasn't great and he will stick to singing and playing guitar...

But I myself enjoyed both Harry Tracy & The Hotel episode, which I have both on DVD/VHS. Simply because it is Gordon Lightfoot, everything he does I cant hate. I guess your the same way.

I suggest you go to Val's Site and check out Lightfoot on DVD, including the movie Harry Tracy. I did purchase it from her Site, and it is to me a treasure. Great souvenir...

http://www.gordonlightfoot.com/Gordo...footDVDs.shtml
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 10:51 AM   #3
Gitchigumee

Hi Jesse,

I honestly did like his portrayal of the US Marshall and thought the acting was very good. But being the perfectionist that Gord is, I can see why he would be unjustifiably critical of his own performance.

Although he is so softspoken, he did a good job coming across mean and nasty, kind of sadistic I thought, you know like it was a cat and mouse game and he enjoyed the chase and torturing Harry when he had him in his grasp. But that he also had a more human side at the end of the movie when he makes an offer to spare Harry's life if Katherine talks him out of the cornfield. The scene when Harry takes the Marshall's and his men's clothes and they are forced off the train in their long underwear and then made to trot along down the tracks, I thought that was so hilarious! Oh my gosh there were several great parts like that, and I particularly liked watching Gord on horseback. Looked to me like he knows how to handle a horse too.

I will most definitely go to Val's site to order the movie for my collection.
"There was a time in this fair land when the railroad did not run. When the wild majestic mountains stood alone against the sun. Long before the white man, and long before the wheel. When the green dark forest was too silent to be real."
Old 02-22-2008, 11:24 AM   #4
charlene

and years prior to the making of Harry Tracy:
From the Toronto Star:
Attached Files
File Type: doc A Star is Born remake.doc (34.5 KB, 712 views)
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 12:58 PM   #5
Gitchigumee

Oh wow! Wouldn't that have been somethin'?! I can't say as I blame Cher for being delighted with the idea.

I remember the Kris Kristopherson/Barbara Streisand version. Was that who they settled on or were they talking about a re-make of that version?
Old 02-22-2008, 02:03 PM   #6
charlene

yep - Kris Kristofferson and Barbra Streisand did the re-make..LOVED Kris in it..
Old 02-22-2008, 02:27 PM   #7
Jesse Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
and years prior to the making of Harry Tracy:
From the Toronto Star:

Thanks for that info Char, I did not know that about Lightfoot and Cher...

Harry Tracy !

http://archives.cbc.ca/IDC-1-74-743-...ightfoot/clip5
Old 02-22-2008, 03:34 PM   #8
Jesse Joe

Yes indeed Gitchigumee, Gord does look quite comfortable on a horse...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scan0004.jpg
Views:	716
Size:	343.5 KB
ID:	872  
Old 02-22-2008, 03:46 PM   #9
Jesse Joe

Quick Quiz Gitch !

How many times does Gordon fire his gun in this movie ?

A > once...

B > twice...

C > three times...

D > four times...

E > never fires the gun...

Last edited by Jesse Joe; 02-22-2008 at 03:49 PM.
Old 02-22-2008, 08:37 PM   #10
Borderstone

Congrats. Gitch! Yep,that's the greatest love song I've ever heard in my life. Certainly better than most "over-produced" ballads that got to #1 or top ten.

Too bad you didn't see the movie on DVD. The quality is better of course,but no re-colorization or closed captioning were added.

Look around your local Best Buy,that's where I got the only 2 copies they had (one open for viewing and one not). I'm sure if you ask they'd order it for you,just make sure you ask for "The Bruce Dern movie called...etc."
Old 02-23-2008, 09:54 AM   #11
Peter Bro10

I enjoyed everyone's comments here...

I recently purchased used (on Amazon, about $5.00 or so, including shipping and handling) copy for a Christmas gift for my Mom (big Lightfoot fan!) and we've watched it together.... She's seen it several times. I hope to see it again soon. IN SHORT: We like it alot!

Lightfoot is overly critical of his own performance for sure. He's not a "great actor" but certainly not bad! I think he didn't/doesn't like to take time away from doing what he loves best.

Anyone on the fence about this one.... just get it, you won't be sorry!

Peter Bro10
Peter Bro10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 10:30 AM   #12
Jesse Joe

Hey Peter Bro 10,

I agree I think he played that part really good. The movie went no where's, but to Lightfoot fans it's a must have. I have it in french & english. Prefer english version of course. I have this interview that he, Helen Shaver, (who is also Canadian BTW) & Bruce Dern gave Alan Thicke in there costume at the film site in Vancouver when they were filming it in 1980. Really good. Gord agreed to the interview mainly because of his friendship with Alan Thicke, which is from, Kirkland Lake Ontario.

Two great Ontario boys ! And a great Ontario Gal ! Helen Shaver was born in St. Thomas, Ontario...

Last edited by Jesse Joe; 02-23-2008 at 11:31 AM.
Old 02-23-2008, 09:06 PM   #13
Gitchigumee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Joe View Post
Quick Quiz Gitch !

How many times does Gordon fire his gun in this movie ?

A > once...

B > twice...

C > three times...

D > four times...

E > never fires the gun...
My guess is that he never fires the gun. There was plenty of shooting in that movie (especially the ending) but I cannot recall a scene where they show the US Marshall firing a shot.

The other thing I forgot to mention, was how his speaking voice in the movie, to me, sounds exactly the same to me as he sounds now when just speaking and not singing, which I think is really interesting.

Again, this was an absolute treat for me to finally see this movie, hear the song, and have this discussion. Thanks everyone!

Last edited by Gitchigumee; 02-23-2008 at 09:10 PM.
Old 02-23-2008, 11:12 PM   #14
Jesse Joe

And you are correct Gitchigumee, Lightfoot never gets to fire the gun in the movie. It was a joke while being interviewed by his good friend Alan Thicke. Alan tells him, "I know your packing a pistol here can we get to see it ?" And then Gord gets the gun out of his holster and tells him I actually dont get to fire this gun in this movie...

Very good Gitch, but unfortunetly their is no prize. lol
Old 02-24-2008, 01:26 AM   #15
Patti

Hi Gitchigumee, I might have seen this movie and didn't know Gordon Lightfoot was in it. That cornfield deal sounds familiar. Whatever movie I saw, I remember that I liked it.
Patti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 12:00 PM   #16
Gitchigumee

Hi Patti,

You will definitely have to give it a second look then!!

- GG
Old 02-25-2008, 12:56 PM   #17
Patti

Yes, definitely, GG! A couple day ago, I already called the library first to see if they had it. They didn't. I didnt simply like the movie, there was an intensity that kept me glued, and that doesn't always happen with me. I have a vcr, but not a dvd player, so maybe I'll end up watching the same blockbuster copy that you saw.
Old 02-25-2008, 01:18 PM   #18
Gitchigumee

It's an appealing movie for men too. There's a love story, but it's a rough & tumble western too. My husband liked it, and he's a pretty tough sell.
Old 04-05-2008, 01:23 PM   #19
Patti

Yesterday a library I stopped at ordered it for me! They said they will call me when it comes in.
Old 04-05-2008, 04:05 PM   #20
RM

It took me a couple of viewings to appreciate it. The first time I tried to focus on Lightfoot's performance but found myself more taken by the dreariness of the location. Having lived in sunny climes for most of my life, I can only ponder how difficult the filming must have been. How do you folks avoid depression ?

It's a good flick.
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 05:20 PM   #21
Gitchigumee

Dreary is right. I can only imagine how beautiful the scenery would have been had it been filmed any other time than late fall after all leaves had fallen and winter was at the doorstep.

Your question about how we avoid depression is a good one. There is a clinical term for people who get depressed because of lack of sunshine. They actually have lamps that simulate sunshine and that helps some people.

As for me, in the fall, I look forward to Christmas. The season is beautiful and there's nothing like a white Christmas to really get you in the mood. Many of us become "snowbirds" after the holidays, either traveling to Florida, Mexico, Jamaica, or one of those places. Even if your trip is planned well into the spring, it sure makes the winter less bleak to plan and dream about the warm & sunny beaches you will be enjoying in the near future.

For those of us less fortunate who must stick it out the entire October through April of dreariness, mostly we just complain about the weather, eat comfort food and drink a lot.

Old 05-01-2008, 06:36 PM   #22
RM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitchigumee View Post

For those of us less fortunate who must stick it out the entire October through April of dreariness, mostly we just complain about the weather, eat comfort food and drink a lot.
I'm in.
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 07:00 PM   #23
Patti

There you are Gitchigumee. I finally saw it too. Ashland library got it shipped from Milwaukee County. I loved that song, My Love For You too. The ending was sad, but it was a good movie. I got a kick out of seeing Gordon act like that because he is so nice.
Old 08-22-2015, 12:12 PM   #24
charlene