banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 10-04-2016, 08:30 PM   #1
charlene

Default Rex DeLong has passed away

From Facebook, Rex's son posted this sad news:
Zack Davisson with Rex De Long.
3 hrs · Seattle, WA, United States ·
I hesitated to write this, because many people want answers and that is just what I don't have. But as you may have heard, my father Rex De Long passed away recently. I've spoken with the coroners, and they suspect it may have been a couple of days ago. He was found in his bed and seemed to have died peacefully in his sleep. I last spoke to him last Thursday and he seemed in good spirits. My wife and I had planned a trip to come see him on October 21, so just a few weeks away. He was looking forward to seeing us. I never imagined he would not live that long. Rex suffered from multiple health issues for many years, and he had been in and out of the hospital for awhile. I had thought he was on the mend--he had recently joined some old friends for some singing, and was getting back out into the world after a period of seclusion. But apparently that was a last rally before the end. For the past few years, I have been in regular contact with him. I called him almost every day to chat while I walked the dog. Till the end he retained his love of music, and that brought him joy through the pain that wracked his body. Rex was a natural-born musician and a powerful entertainer. He was a man of peace and kindness. He was also a deeply flawed individual who battled many demons over his life, and those battles took their tool on his spirit and health, and may have ultimately killed him. He was what he always called himself--an old piano man. But most of all he was my dad. And I loved him. And I will miss him.
My brothers and I are figuring out what to do next. None of us were anticipating this so we haven't done any planning. When we have any information about a service and such, we will let you know. We know he loved the Calvary Chapel, and if anyone there would be interested in assisting us with a service please feel free to contact me. My email address is zack.davisson @ gmail.com.
Goodnight dad. Walking the dog is going to be a hell of a lot lonelier.
I came to Love the Music
Before I came to Be
[Psalm 139:13]
Photo @ McVeigh's Pubjam - November 2009

https://www.facebook.com/rex.delong.5
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 02:56 PM   #2
Don Quixote

Default Re: Rex DeLong has passed away

Ah, not the Rez! We had some very fine conversations here some years ago.
May he rest in peace.
DQ
Don Quixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 10:32 AM   #3
lighthead2toe

Very sad reading this but also good to know Rex was quite loved by his family. He and I talked about a get-together when I lived in Vancouver, BC. He told me he had family in Seattle which is very close to the Canadian boarder and the hoped to make a connection at a time he was there but it never did happen. We did have a fun time though when he and Eva would come for the Massey shows in Toronto.
Rest sweet soul.
lighthead2toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 06:00 AM   #4
Auburn Annie

So sorry to hear this. May the good memories swallow up the sadness over time.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 07:52 PM   #5
charlene

it's been a year....
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 08:46 PM   #6
lighthead2toe

When I first met Rex and discovered he was a die hard Lightfoot fan he told me his instrument was the keyboard but could also play guitar and wrote songs. We became friends from there.
The most memorable moment that remains with me when I think of Rex is in the lounge at the Pantages Hotel where I was there sitting at a table with him and Eva when out of the blue he sauntered up to the beautiful piano that was just there "waiting for him" and he let it all roll out.
From what I recall it was a combination of classical infused with Gershwin, maybe, and I guess "all of the above." He was a lovely man, very talented and I'm happy that I met and got to know him for the short duration of time he was with us. I will never forget him.
Rest peacefully sweet soul.
lighthead2toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 08:59 PM   #7
jj

this kind man ( loved how his eyes were set into his sockets, and below his lids and brows ) and I shared some piano banter for a good 20 minutes at the last McVeigh's session that we both attended .... which he interrupted by saying, "well, i've gotta go up there and try play guitar now" .... I'm glad I captured it

God only knows what kind of Open Mic sessions have been taking place above us

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V34pmr6Dl-Y&t=5s
jj is offline   Reply With Quote