banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 08-03-2005, 05:05 PM   #51
Wesley

Quote:
Originally posted by Shazia:
Best: Lightfoot!

Worst: Summertime Dream

Okay...my choices may be drastically different than some of yours
I'm confused here. on Wyane's site did mentions the Two Tones album released in 1962
and this link here says 1965 and lists the very same songs that are listed on his 1st UA album. referring to Johns post.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 05:05 PM   #52
Affair on Touhy Ave.

Quote:
Originally posted by Shazia:
Best: Lightfoot!

Worst: Summertime Dream

Okay...my choices may be drastically different than some of yours
I'm confused here. on Wyane's site did mentions the Two Tones album released in 1962
and this link here says 1965 and lists the very same songs that are listed on his 1st UA album. referring to Johns post.
Affair on Touhy Ave. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 05:36 PM   #53
Shazia

Oops!

Gotta clear one thing here.

I meant best and worst album COVERS, not best and worst albums!! But that was the topic though, wasn't it? (best covers, that is)
Shazia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 07:55 PM   #54
GJA

My favorite is Gord's Gold. Very...studly? Oh yes!
Old 08-03-2005, 08:31 PM   #55
Borderstone

Now that 2 years have gone by since I commented last,I can now add "Harmony" to the list of best covers. It's a simple "at home" picture (even though it's kinda posed)and it says to me,"The music in here is simple but very enjoyable".

I don't think i can say the same for,"Complete Greatest Hits". I'm sure i might have said it before,but Gord looks like he just came from swimming on that cover. :D

The picture on the back of the little CD booklet would have been better!
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 04:20 PM   #56
MaryO

Hmmmm...

Yep, definitely Gord's Gold is up there just for sheer "hunkiness", but the reverse side of SHADOWS (I'm fairly certain it's the SHADOWS album) that shows Gordie in a three piece suit is TO DIE FOR, IMO. Is he gorgeous or WHAT ???
MaryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 07:10 PM   #57
<T.C.>

Gord's best album cover (I think) is DQ. Strapping young man in his leather jacket complete with some beard action and longer hair. A very cool machismo look.

"women want him and men want to be him"

T.C.
Old 08-06-2005, 06:54 AM   #58
DJ in MJ

As far as actual Gord pics go, the only one I don't care for is East Of Midnight. It looks too posed and too 80s. Nothing natural about it. Most every other public pic of Gord captures some of the essence of the man himself.

As for album design, Did She Mention My Name and Sunday Concert concentrate much more on graphics and lettering than they do on Gord. Now mind you, you can't tell a rook by its hover, as they are both great LPs, but I'm not fond of the artwork on these two.
DJ in MJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 05:32 PM   #59
Borderstone

DJB,I can tell you from having been a teen in the 1980's,that as far as music,movies & some T.V. shows were in that decade,"natural" is the last thing they would be!

After the 1970's ended,a great deal (or almost all) of what that decade was about was "kicked to the curb" or forgotten. The 80's were about being almost unemotional,indifferent... but at the same time being supposedly flashy and styled (ala "Miami Vice" or the other fashion nightmares of that time.)

Gordon (or the executives at WB) was or were trying to keep pace with the times. The last thing most teens of my generation wanted to hear was a middle aged/adult contemporary artist. (Don't worry,I was not one of them! ). I remember hearing "Anything For Love" on our local AC station & I liked it.

They sure as heck went with Steve Winwood at that time though!

If anything in the 80s was natural I'd give credit to:
U2,John Mellencamp,the music of Men At Work,Bob Seger,Suzanne Vega,Bruce Hornsby and others who don't come to mind at just this moment.
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 05:56 PM   #60
Affair on Touhy Ave.

HERE'S MY QUESTION. WHY WOULD THEY EVEN CARE WHAT TEENS THOUGHT ABOUT lIGHTFOOT AS LONG AS THEY HAD AN AUDIENCE OF SOME SORT? I'M SURE MOST KIDS IN THE 70S WERE NOT CONCERNED ABOUT LIGHTFOOT EITHER.WHILE I'M SURE THERE ARE SOME EXEPTIONS FOLK MUSIC IS PROBABLY MORE LIKELY AIMED AT ADULT AUDIENCES. also sorry about the cap didn't realize I hit the CL button.
Affair on Touhy Ave. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 06:06 PM   #61
brink

I agree Touhy, the kids weren't into folk at that time. Although teenagers were the buying public at that time, and still are (disposable income) all types of music is sold not just what teenagers listen to. Remember in the 1970's Gord was already in his mid to late 30's not on the top of a teen's list. But as a young adult, I certainly enjoyed the Gord pictures on the albums and a natural, unposed look was appealing. Look at the other albums covers in the day Walter and the posed ones looked stupid. That said, I certainly can look at Gord posed or natural.
brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 06:54 PM   #62
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

Quote:
Originally posted by &lt;T.C.&gt;:
Gord's best album cover (I think) is DQ. Strapping young man in his leather jacket complete with some beard action and longer hair. A very cool machismo look.

"women want him and men want to be him"

T.C.
Well said ! although I don't really want to 'be' him, LOL

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 11:40 PM   #63
<T.C.>

Ya know BillW, I don't think I'd really want to be him either. That said, I wouldn't mind having a little bit of musical talent. The only thing I can play is a CD. BTW, that saying "Women want him and men want to be him" came from the first Austin Powers movie, maybe somewhere else before then. I'm not sure.

T.C.
Old 08-07-2005, 07:08 PM   #64
Borderstone

I'd like to be Gordon Lightfoot,that is,if he never ever had a personal problem in his life!

I can handle the singing,the touring,the studio,the nicer calmer version of fame he enjoys but I wouldn't want to go through any of the most serious things he has! I don't think I'd handle those things too well.
Old 08-23-2005, 12:21 AM   #65
BendRick

I agree with most of you, the Don Quixote album cover is Gord's best, followed by his Gord's Gold cover. The worst seems to be Summer Side of Life. It doesn't even look like Gord.
PS I'll be at the concert in Reno (actually Sparks) Nevada, Sept. 17, front row, with my arm on the stage, hope to see some of you there.
BendRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 11:45 AM   #66
ELizabeth

My favorite album cover was the Lightfoot! cover. The half-face shot of that young and very fine GL is beautiful to me. So is the older GL but in a much different way. He sure looked great at Wolf Trap - hair nicely styled, a double white shirt and a lovely brocade
vest. Didn't notice his trousers did you BillW?

[ August 24, 2005, 13:24: Message edited by: ELizabeth ]
ELizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 01:03 PM   #67
paddletothesea2

Get your facts straight.
Dream Street Rose cover IS from a photo!! A live photo take at one of his concerts!

Salute? Looks like hes been drinking for two weeks?? Actually this this HIS 1st cover since he quit drinking!!!! He has been sober ever since.

Cathy Smith NEVER was convicted of murdering John Belushi. He OD'd is the short and simply answer.

Worst COver?? Wasnt there one called "lightfoot" that did not have a photo at all on it??? That would be my choice.

Shadows??? He looks exactly like that during that period...look at the photo archives on this site. I even have photos of him at concerts and he looks the same.

His first album is a classic looking James Dean sort of feel...
paddletothesea2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 01:28 PM   #68
ELizabeth

Paddletothesea2- However correct you may be in your email, your post came across to me as written by someone who needs attitude adjustment.
ELizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 03:44 PM   #69
Auburn Annie

Cathy Smith was convicted in 1986 of involuntary manslaughter (for Belushi's accidental overdose from the cocaine/heroin speedball she injected) and served 15 months in prison.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 03:44 PM   #70
Auburn Annie

Cathy Smith was convicted in 1986 of involuntary manslaughter (for Belushi's accidental overdose from the cocaine/heroin speedball she injected) and served 15 months in prison.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 05:42 PM   #71
MB

Worst is Gord's Gold (fashion impaired):]]
Best is Sundown.
Mikey
MB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 07:03 PM   #72
Borderstone

Has anyone ever noticed how "very" similar the covers are to "EOM" and "GG 2" ?

I took a real good look at them and I realized something I never noticed. The shirt he's wearing on GG 2,is the same shirt he wore under the white jacket on the previous LP! You may also notice his expression on both is almost 100% the same!

I think when they shot the East Of Midnight cover,they air-brushed outthe background and went with black. Then when they did the GG 2 cover,they used a shot without the jacket and (possibly) put the background back in.

So in a way,these 2 albums have the same cover! I like the outdoor shot on GG 2 by the way.