banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 11-30-2017, 11:59 AM   #1
charlene

Default CTV - W5 feature on Gordon airs Dec.2 @ 7 eastern

CTV’s W5 (Canada) has done a feature on Gordon that will air nationally on Saturday, December 2 at 7pm eastern The interview has been done by veteran news anchor Lloyd Robertson. Check your local listings for airing time and channel in your area. If the show is archived at their website a link will be posted shortly after airing.
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 05:25 PM   #2
charlene

Default Re: CTV - W5 feature on Gordon airs Dec.2 @ 7 eastern

Sat.Dec.2 at 7 eastern-Canadian tv - CTV. Interview with Lightfoot. (open link for preview) http://www.ctvnews.ca/w5/w5-exclusiv...e-79-1.3703156
George Hoff, W5 Producer
Published Friday, December 1, 2017 1:30PM EST
Last Updated Friday, December 1, 2017 2:21PM EST

It’s a drizzly Sunday afternoon in Nanaimo, British Columbia.

The roadies spent the morning setting up the stage equipment at the Port Theatre and everyone is preparing for the show called “Legendary Lightfoot”.

The band knows every song, every lick, everything their boss, Gordon Lightfoot, will demand of them in a few hours. They’ve performed with him hundreds of times.

The night before, they’d played in Vancouver. But here they are, a few hours later, on stage doing another thorough sound check. Because that is the way Lightfoot works. He’s been performing for more than 70 years and still everything needs to be checked out.
Ask anyone around Lightfoot what his routine is on show day and they’ll talk about the hours he spends tuning his guitars. And, when I have a chat with him backstage, he is quick to tell me, “I still need to tune my guitars.”

Now 79 years old, Lightfoot has just wrapped up his latest tour. He toured North America performing 78 shows starting in Texas and ending in Burlington, Ontario. And every night, Lightfoot says he wants one thing: “I really want it to sound good. I want to continue… Our output is pretty good right now. We’re really pouring it on.”

His very first performances were as a boy standing on the dining room table in Orillia, Ontario singing for his family and friends. He was only around eight years old when he sang on the local radio station and just 13 when he lit up the stage at Massey Hall in Toronto for the first time.

That performance earned him a mention in The Toronto Star. The reviewer noted that one of the highlights was “Gordon Lightfoot, 13 year old boy soprano of Orillia singing Schubert’s “Who is Sylvia.” Lightfoot would go on to play the venerable Massey Hall more than 160 times during his hugely successful career.

Back in Nanaimo, the fans at the sold-out show can’t wait to see and hear the music of one of Canada’s most revered singer-songwriters. One concert goer gushes, “I just love Gordon Lightfoot. Period.” And another sums up her feelings about Lightfoot: “He’s just so Canadian.”

And when Lightfoot takes the stage, he begins a two-hour show, 26 songs from his legendary songbook.

His drummer Barry Keane recognizes how privileged he is to be on the stage with Lightfoot: “Lucky me,” he says, “I’m part of greatness.” And Keane acknowledges that greatness every show.

As the crowd applauds Lightfoot’s number one hit, “If You Could Read My Mind”, Keane stands at his drum kit and applauds his boss for a song Keane says, “Is one of the greatest songs ever written.”
Old 12-02-2017, 12:14 AM   #3
T.G.

Those of us who gave up TV would LOVE it if someone records the segment and posts it to YouTube (hint, hint) ...
T.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 07:07 PM   #4
charlene

I will check to see if it is on their website/Facebook in the next few days.....
Old 12-02-2017, 08:12 PM   #5
charlene

just watched the Atlantic Canada feed.. very nice interview with Lloyd...he was quite relaxed and open..
Old 12-02-2017, 09:11 PM   #6
buzzard

What a great interview! The entire piece was extremely well done IMHO.

Brian
buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 09:47 PM   #7
charlene

W5 TV interview: https://youtu.be/mTzbff0dvFA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTzb...ature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTzbf...ature=youtu.be
Old 12-03-2017, 09:58 AM   #8
lighthead2toe

Thank you so much for this Char.

It's Gordon Lightfoot as we know him; his gifted true individual self, a no hang up guy who shares inspiration, mentoring, a warmth of family importance and a wealth of musical knowledge.
This combination has won the hearts and minds of fans across the globe.
lighthead2toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 10:01 AM   #9
jj

The heroism of the Wreck...

What lyrics convey that?

29 lives. Many young. Talk about heartbreak.
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 12:43 AM   #10
T.G.

Thank you!
T.G. is offline   Reply With Quote