banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 10-07-2002, 07:11 PM   #1
Veronica

In recent weeks have you been playing your Lightfoot collection more or less frequently than you had been before you heard the news? Why? Thanks for sharing.
Bill
My answer is MORE, although that's hard to do, much MORE. It cheers me up.
Veronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 07:11 PM   #2
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

In recent weeks have you been playing your Lightfoot collection more or less frequently than you had been before you heard the news? Why? Thanks for sharing.
Bill
My answer is MORE, although that's hard to do, much MORE. It cheers me up.
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 09:33 PM   #3
Janice

I too have been listening to more Lightfoot in the past weeks, but in my case I think it is more coincidence than design. I recently spent a week driving around Lancashire, England with a friend and fellow Lightfoot fan. We listened to a tape of various Lightfoot songs throughout our travels. Since my Lightfoot collection is incomplete, there were songs on this tape that I had never heard and other songs that I had not heard often enough to really form an attachment. I was familiar with the titles after seeing them discussed here and in the other sites that I visit, but what a revelation to me to find new favorites among these songs and to actually feel and understand what some of you have been saying about them all along! In that same time period, I received the ‘final four’ as a gift and I’ve spent my time since returning home listening to them. Of the four, Salute is the only album I had heard and that was due to another Lightfoot friend sending me the LP that he didn’t have the means to play anymore. But even then, I only listened to it a couple of times a long time ago. Any of the songs on the other three that I was familiar with came by hearing them in concert and that really isn’t a good setting for narrowing in on unfamiliar songs. It takes me focused and repeated listening to be fully immersed in a song and to feel the depth of it. Well, as I said, the whole experience has been quite a revelation for me
Janice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 10:59 PM   #4
joveski

for me it's been less but this is just a phase to keep the music fresh - nthing to do with the news. leaving it for a bit and then getting back to it brings more enjoyment to the music. i do it with every artist. leaving it for a bit and then getting back into reminds you of how good the music is and this wotrks with GL. listened to SSOL yesterday and DSR over the weekend.
i've listening to warren zevon a bit more cause he only has a few weeks left to live.
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 04:13 AM   #5
jbt

i think it has affected the way i hear the songs much more than how often i choose to play them. as much meaning as the songs have, some particular songs are even louder to me now.
Old 10-08-2002, 04:13 AM   #6
jbt

i think it has affected the way i hear the songs much more than how often i choose to play them. as much meaning as the songs have, some particular songs are even louder to me now.
Old 10-08-2002, 08:28 AM   #7
Gord

I am not religious by any stretch of the imagination but 2 of his rarities certainly are haunting given his current situation. Forgive me Lord and Heaven Doesn't Deserve Me.
Old 10-08-2002, 08:28 AM   #8
Gord

I am not religious by any stretch of the imagination but 2 of his rarities certainly are haunting given his current situation. Forgive me Lord and Heaven Doesn't Deserve Me.
Old 10-08-2002, 12:09 PM   #9
boomergirl

My wife and I have gone nuts in the last couple of months listening to his stuff; it's a Lightfoot overload as we saw him in Vegas in August (twice), then Shadows and Salute were released, and then his health problems.
I like to bang around on the guitar, but I rarely put a song to memory that I can play and sing all the way through. About the only Lightfoot song I'd memorized over the years was Steel Rail Blues. Now, I'm putting about a song a week to memory. So far I've got these Lightfoot songs down:
Triangle (my all time favorite song!)
Auctioneer (I know, not written by him, but fun)
IYCRMM
Romance
Dreamland
Working on Sweet Guinevere (I'm having a heckava time with the timing on this one) and Tattoo right now.
Get well, Gordy...this planet needs you.
boomergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 12:09 PM   #10
seahawk

My wife and I have gone nuts in the last couple of months listening to his stuff; it's a Lightfoot overload as we saw him in Vegas in August (twice), then Shadows and Salute were released, and then his health problems.
I like to bang around on the guitar, but I rarely put a song to memory that I can play and sing all the way through. About the only Lightfoot song I'd memorized over the years was Steel Rail Blues. Now, I'm putting about a song a week to memory. So far I've got these Lightfoot songs down:
Triangle (my all time favorite song!)
Auctioneer (I know, not written by him, but fun)
IYCRMM
Romance
Dreamland
Working on Sweet Guinevere (I'm having a heckava time with the timing on this one) and Tattoo right now.
Get well, Gordy...this planet needs you.
seahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 01:10 PM   #11
formerlylavender

My answer is more. I've been so focused on the final four, but I find myself going back to the various cds as well. I even played Gord's Gold this morning while I was in the kitchen. Also I agree about Gord's music cheering us up. Whenever I'm down, it always makes me feel better.
formerlylavender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 01:23 PM   #12
SomewhereupinMichigan

Definitely MORE! But I go in spurts anyway with most artists. What I have found myself doing of late is...finally...updating/upgrading my collection from original LPs (which had long ago been saved to cassettes) to CDs. This is something I have planned to do for a long time but the realization that Gord is human, too, and both our times on this earth are limited and precious has triggered a real "buying spree" to collect everything on CD. I never really realized (because there are no other artists in my vast LP collection that I have been recollecting on CD) just how MUCH better the quality is with the CDs. It's something we all know and realize since CDs first came out, but not something you truly recognize until you compare by picking up the same CDs as the old LPs! (Or, maybe I'm full of crap and I'd just forgotten how great the music was in the first place! )
SomewhereupinMichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 07:43 PM   #13
mytoyota@earthlink.net

Playing more, plus the GL Tribute versions of his songs. Shadows, seems to be my favorite right now, today and yesterday anyway.
Kim

------------------
paperback dreams . . .
mytoyota@earthlink.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2002, 02:16 PM   #14
Steve DeRosa

I've been listening more and trying to buy more of his albums! Until I landed on this site, I never realized how MANY songs he's written and how many of his songs I've never heard before! I am looking forward to getting more of his albums and hearing songs that will be "new" to me. I am having trouble finding GL's cd's in stores, though.
Steve DeRosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2002, 02:16 PM   #15
Oma

I've been listening more and trying to buy more of his albums! Until I landed on this site, I never realized how MANY songs he's written and how many of his songs I've never heard before! I am looking forward to getting more of his albums and hearing songs that will be "new" to me. I am having trouble finding GL's cd's in stores, though.
Oma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2002, 02:58 PM   #16
Steve DeRosa

Thanks for the info!
Steve DeRosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2002, 02:58 PM   #17
Oma

Thanks for the info!
Oma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2002, 03:34 PM   #18
USA

Oma, you are in for one hell of a treat!!!!
USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2002, 03:34 PM   #19
notsocooldude

Oma, you are in for one hell of a treat!!!!
notsocooldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2002, 09:56 PM   #20
myweim

thats where i get mine at
amazon they are fast and give you up dates on where your shipment is.
myweim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2002, 09:56 PM   #21
lightbunny

thats where i get mine at
amazon they are fast and give you up dates on where your shipment is.
lightbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2002, 05:15 PM   #22
Lee

Yes....Amazon.com rocks!

Never had a problem w/ them.

------------------
"Will Build Satellites For Food"
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote