banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 04-24-2005, 08:16 AM   #1
JPH

It is 5 Am on Sunday. I am up early after last nights concert because I like so many others left at intermission. WHAT A DISGRACE !! I paid top dollar for seats on the 2nd row, center. If I had been on an isle I would have left earlier. I have NEVER seen so many people leave a concert so early in my life. I attend about 50 concerts a year at Cerritos so I have some knowledge and experience in this. I personally spoke to over 25 people while leaving and everyone had the same words. He looked terrible and sounded like CRAP. I could not believe how many other people took a night out of their life and paid good money and left at intermission. It appeared as if many of those leaving were running to get away as was I and my guest. A word from me "Gordon, STOP NOW" and leave the music to those who still can. :o
Old 04-24-2005, 08:16 AM   #2
LakewoodMan

It is 5 Am on Sunday. I am up early after last nights concert because I like so many others left at intermission. WHAT A DISGRACE !! I paid top dollar for seats on the 2nd row, center. If I had been on an isle I would have left earlier. I have NEVER seen so many people leave a concert so early in my life. I attend about 50 concerts a year at Cerritos so I have some knowledge and experience in this. I personally spoke to over 25 people while leaving and everyone had the same words. He looked terrible and sounded like CRAP. I could not believe how many other people took a night out of their life and paid good money and left at intermission. It appeared as if many of those leaving were running to get away as was I and my guest. A word from me "Gordon, STOP NOW" and leave the music to those who still can. :o
LakewoodMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 08:19 AM   #3
SilverHeels

Kim,
were you there. Will you please give us your opinion?
Thank you.
Old 04-24-2005, 09:05 AM   #4
talbot10

Quote:
Originally posted by LakewoodMan:
It is 5 Am on Sunday. I am up early after last nights concert because I like so many others left at intermission. WHAT A DISGRACE !! I paid top dollar for seats on the 2nd row, center. If I had been on an isle I would have left earlier. I have NEVER seen so many people leave a concert so early in my life. I attend about 50 concerts a year at Cerritos so I have some knowledge and experience in this. I personally spoke to over 25 people while leaving and everyone had the same words. He looked terrible and sounded like CRAP. I could not believe how many other people took a night out of their life and paid good money and left at intermission. It appeared as if many of those leaving were running to get away as was I and my guest. A word from me "Gordon, STOP NOW" and leave the music to those who still can.
"I could not believe how many other people took a night out of their life and paid good money and left at intermission"

Wow that is rough. They took a nite out of their life to go a concert!!! must be difficult. Lakewood, Gordon Lgihtfoot was very very sick. he has made an incredible recovery. The fact that he is out there still plugging away and performing is an amazing thing. Bob Dylan sounds different then her did 30 years ago too. Give Gord a break. H is getting stronger every show and to his fans one of his concerts is still priceless (not to mention darn good!). This is the wrong venue to try to get sympathy for your rought nite out.
Bill Hall
talbot10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 09:12 AM   #5
Auburn Annie

Quote:
It is 5 Am on Sunday. I am up early after last nights concert because I like so many others left at intermission. WHAT A DISGRACE !! I paid top dollar for seats on the 2nd row, center. If I had been on an isle I would have left earlier. I have NEVER seen so many people leave a concert so early in my life. I attend about 50 concerts a year at Cerritos so I have some knowledge and experience in this. I personally spoke to over 25 people while leaving and everyone had the same words. He looked terrible and sounded like CRAP. I could not believe how many other people took a night out of their life and paid good money and left at intermission. It appeared as if many of those leaving were running to get away as was I and my guest. A word from me "Gordon, STOP NOW" and leave the music to those who still can.
Either LakeWoodMan only knows the Gord of 30 years ago or the other posts on Corfid from concert goers are from folks who have bad hearing or are otherwise delusional. Nobody else has yet reported a run for the exits. I see your membership in this group began only this morning. Is there a coincidence here?
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 09:12 AM   #6
Auburn Annie

Quote:
Either LakeWoodMan only knows the Gord of 30 years ago or the other posts on Corfid from concert goers are from folks who have bad hearing or are otherwise delusional. Nobody else has yet reported a run for the exits. I see your membership in this group began only this morning. Is there a coincidence here?
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 09:28 AM   #7
SilverHeels

I just had a bad thought. Could it be that monster kid has surfaced again?
Bill and Annie - well said. Knowing how volatile I can be, I thought it better to let another tell LakewoodMan what we think.
Thanks, guys.
Old 04-24-2005, 10:14 AM   #8
charlene

Lakewoodman - when was the last Lightfoot concert you attended?
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 10:14 AM   #9
charlene

Lakewoodman - when was the last Lightfoot concert you attended?
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 10:48 AM   #10
All is well

Hey folks! My first post. I've been checking the discussion page for a while now for news and views regarding the 2005 tour. I didn't feel a great need to post until this morning's Cerritos review (LakewoodMan).

I can't imagine the arrogance it would take to leave during a concert, especially one of Gord's. The fact that he battled back to get into playing shape after all he's been through is a testiment to the man's will to perform for others. Let's just be grateful he's back.

As ColoradoSue pointed out, anyone who's bothered to pick up the Harmony album knows the current state of Gord's voice. Since LakewoodMan knows of the existence of this discussion page, I would think that he's been aware of some of the discussion of the past several weeks regarding Gord's vocals? As for how he "looked terrible", maybe LakewoodMan has been staring at too many 70's album covers.

Can we say that concerts in general are like pizza (or sex)? Even when it's bad, it's still pretty good.

So I'm flying down to LV for the Sunday concert at the Orleans (closer than Massey) and some sightseeing. I'm very much looking forward to it.

Keep up the excellent reporting!

Cheers,
Elderberry
Old 04-24-2005, 10:48 AM   #11
Elderberry

Hey folks! My first post. I've been checking the discussion page for a while now for news and views regarding the 2005 tour. I didn't feel a great need to post until this morning's Cerritos review (LakewoodMan).

I can't imagine the arrogance it would take to leave during a concert, especially one of Gord's. The fact that he battled back to get into playing shape after all he's been through is a testiment to the man's will to perform for others. Let's just be grateful he's back.

As ColoradoSue pointed out, anyone who's bothered to pick up the Harmony album knows the current state of Gord's voice. Since LakewoodMan knows of the existence of this discussion page, I would think that he's been aware of some of the discussion of the past several weeks regarding Gord's vocals? As for how he "looked terrible", maybe LakewoodMan has been staring at too many 70's album covers.

Can we say that concerts in general are like pizza (or sex)? Even when it's bad, it's still pretty good.

So I'm flying down to LV for the Sunday concert at the Orleans (closer than Massey) and some sightseeing. I'm very much looking forward to it.

Keep up the excellent reporting!

Cheers,
Elderberry
Elderberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 10:55 AM   #12
byKimberly

Send a message via AIM to byKimberly

It was a fabulous show! I loved it!
This person obviously has a problem and ail can tell you is that all the seats in the front of the theater were full the whole time, so there is one complete fallacy in his testament.

I am dead tired or I would write a review.

There is no one like Gordon Lightfoot. No band could produce the same sound or quality of material. I will say that the second half of the show was more right on, but there this was a fabulous show. Gord did start some songs over, but that was just his perfectionist ways. The crowd that I witnessed was really digging the whole show.
Kimberly
--

Life is short . . .
Old 04-24-2005, 11:03 AM   #13
Janie

....and then I woke up!
As the cliche goes, there's a first time for everything and reading "LakewoodMan"'s post has given me another first!
I think there has been enough comment from Gord's November shows to San Diego to indicate that Gord is just fine, giving us all we could ask for and more, and LWM should be relegated to another world. However, next week I'll be able to judge for myself...after more than 30 years of seeing Gord in concert, you can be sure I'll be VERY unbiased!
Janie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 11:03 AM   #14
hkusam

....and then I woke up!
As the cliche goes, there's a first time for everything and reading "LakewoodMan"'s post has given me another first!
I think there has been enough comment from Gord's November shows to San Diego to indicate that Gord is just fine, giving us all we could ask for and more, and LWM should be relegated to another world. However, next week I'll be able to judge for myself...after more than 30 years of seeing Gord in concert, you can be sure I'll be VERY unbiased!
hkusam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 12:31 PM   #15
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

Quote:
QB] It is 5 Am on Sunday. I am up early after last nights concert because I like so many others left at intermission. WHAT A DISGRACE !! I paid top dollar for seats on the 2nd row, center. If I had been on an isle I would have left earlier. I have NEVER seen so many people leave a concert so early in my life. I attend about 50 concerts a year at Cerritos so I have some knowledge and experience in this. I personally spoke to over 25 people while leaving and everyone had the same words. He looked terrible and sounded like CRAP. I could not believe how many other people took a night out of their life and paid good money and left at intermission. It appeared as if many of those leaving were running to get away as was I and my guest. A word from me "Gordon, STOP NOW" and leave the music to those who still can. [/QB]
Hey LWMan,
Calm down dude you don't want to have a stroke. As Lou Reed said 'valium would've helped...' you need to move on and leave the good seats to people who can discern quality. Try three 10mg tablets with a Diet Coke.
Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 12:32 PM   #16
on-susan's-floor

Obviously this man is trying to get attention for some reason--something lacking in himself?? He paid "top dollar" for tickets, and (in my opinion) he witnessed a miracle!--Gordon Lightfoot, who struggled back from near death, and much pain and despair, to the man he was last night on that stage!
\"Didn't feel so cold and tired<BR>Stretched out before her fire<BR>Rollin' smokes and drinkin' up her wine<BR>And I remember candlelight<BR>And singing 'til we could not sing no more<BR>Then fallin' warm asleep on Susan's floor\"
on-susan's-floor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 12:32 PM   #17
Brave Soul

Obviously this man is trying to get attention for some reason--something lacking in himself?? He paid "top dollar" for tickets, and (in my opinion) he witnessed a miracle!--Gordon Lightfoot, who struggled back from near death, and much pain and despair, to the man he was last night on that stage!
Brave Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 12:37 PM   #18
on-susan's-floor

(I hit the wrong key and got cut off.)
I didn't see all those "empty seats" after the intermission. Don't know where they were . . .
Gordon did not "look terrible" (see Kimberley's cell phone photos)--and though he didn't sound like the Lightfoot of 20 years ago--he sounded darned good to me, and I was thrilled with the whole thing. More later.
\"Didn't feel so cold and tired<BR>Stretched out before her fire<BR>Rollin' smokes and drinkin' up her wine<BR>And I remember candlelight<BR>And singing 'til we could not sing no more<BR>Then fallin' warm asleep on Susan's floor\"
on-susan's-floor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 12:37 PM   #19
Brave Soul

(I hit the wrong key and got cut off.)
I didn't see all those "empty seats" after the intermission. Don't know where they were . . .
Gordon did not "look terrible" (see Kimberley's cell phone photos)--and though he didn't sound like the Lightfoot of 20 years ago--he sounded darned good to me, and I was thrilled with the whole thing. More later.
Brave Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 02:01 PM   #20
Sydney Steve

Settle down devotees. It is rumoured Lakewood's first letter of complaint was to Santa Claus and related facts including that Santa's outfit was a bit bright, that he should go on a diet and that he wanted a green tractor not a blue one. (Gee I'm a cheap shot merchant aren't I ?)

You people who saw that concert are best placed to comment. The content of Lakewood's posting will do more to promote discussion and reviews than he could imagine so from my persective that has to be a positive . If there was even a hint of humour in Lakewood's posting I would sense I was being wound up but I think he was serious...
Kim's photos indicate to me GL's health is much better. To me he looks no worse than in the Reno concert live DVD - maybe a bit better. No substitute for the opinions of those there though.
Old 04-24-2005, 02:34 PM   #21
Dean

To Al True Lightfoot Fans:
I attended the concert last night with my wife and four close friends.We all came away thrilled with Gord's performance.In short he sounded GReat!

Here is the set List:
1. Spanish Moss
2.Don Quixote
3.Minstrel of the Dawn
4.Harmony
5.Never Too Close
6. Ghoasts of Cape Horn
7.Triangle
8.Cotton Jenny
9.Ribbon of Darkness
10. the Wreck of the E.F.
INTERMISSION 20 minutes
Set 2
1.Christian Island
2.Baby Step Back
3.Waiting for You
4.Shadows
5.Restless
6.Beautiful
7.Ring Them Bells
8.If You could Read My Mind
9.Rainy Day People
10.Bitter Green
11.On the High Seas
12.Early Morning Rain

Encore: Old Dan's Records

The entire concert was fantastic but what do I know I have only listened to Gord for 30 plus years and have been to Many of Gord's concerts in California dating back to 1973. The true highlights from last night were:
Spanish Moss,D.Q., Minstrel,Christian Island,Shadows,Ring them Bells, IYCRMM,Bitter Green, EMR,Old Dan's Records.
Gordon Lightfoot sounded and looked great.His voice is strong. F.Y.I. I did not notice any people leaving early, in fact the house was packed from start to finish. John Wallace California.
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 02:34 PM   #22
jwallace4914

To Al True Lightfoot Fans:
I attended the concert last night with my wife and four close friends.We all came away thrilled with Gord's performance.In short he sounded GReat!

Here is the set List:
1. Spanish Moss
2.Don Quixote
3.Minstrel of the Dawn
4.Harmony
5.Never Too Close
6. Ghoasts of Cape Horn
7.Triangle
8.Cotton Jenny
9.Ribbon of Darkness
10. the Wreck of the E.F.
INTERMISSION 20 minutes
Set 2
1.Christian Island
2.Baby Step Back
3.Waiting for You
4.Shadows
5.Restless
6.Beautiful
7.Ring Them Bells
8.If You could Read My Mind
9.Rainy Day People
10.Bitter Green
11.On the High Seas
12.Early Morning Rain

Encore: Old Dan's Records

The entire concert was fantastic but what do I know I have only listened to Gord for 30 plus years and have been to Many of Gord's concerts in California dating back to 1973. The true highlights from last night were:
Spanish Moss,D.Q., Minstrel,Christian Island,Shadows,Ring them Bells, IYCRMM,Bitter Green, EMR,Old Dan's Records.
Gordon Lightfoot sounded and looked great.His voice is strong. F.Y.I. I did not notice any people leaving early, in fact the house was packed from start to finish. John Wallace California.
jwallace4914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 02:49 PM   #23
byKimberly

Send a message via AIM to byKimberly

Thanks, for taking the time to write the set list, JW.
Kimberly
Old 04-24-2005, 03:23 PM   #24
Dean

Hi Kimberly, You are welcome, but I just noticed that i left off one song. Gord also sang Poney Man. I also forgot to mention that On The High Seas was another standout for me as this was the very first time that I have ever seen Gord do this one live.He Nailed it! J.W.
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 03:23 PM   #25
jwallace4914

Hi Kimberly, You are welcome, but I just noticed that i left off one song. Gord also sang Poney Man. I also forgot to mention that On The High Seas was another standout for me as this was the very first time that I have ever seen Gord do this one live.He Nailed it! J.W.