banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 11-22-2003, 09:54 PM   #1
Porter

Hello,does anyone know if the "single",(NOT ALBUM),release of the song "BITTER GREEN",which had string orchestration added,has ever been released on CD,and if so,what are the particulars regarding the cd release? Thanks for reply,Yawtre.
Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 09:54 PM   #2
Yawtre

Hello,does anyone know if the "single",(NOT ALBUM),release of the song "BITTER GREEN",which had string orchestration added,has ever been released on CD,and if so,what are the particulars regarding the cd release? Thanks for reply,Yawtre.
Yawtre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 10:44 PM   #3
SomewhereupinMichigan

The version on the Songbook 4-CD Boxed Set indicates that it was "also issued as United Artists single #50447 10/68." I don't know that this definitively identifies it as the version you are interested in. Upon giving it a fresh listen I would not say that it is given a full string orchestration treatment and, frankly, I'm trying to remember if I have ever heard a version that matches your description. Most of Gord's very early 1960s material did not have string orchestration. That came about after his early 70s success when he teamed up with, in particular,Lee Holdridge & Nick DeCaro and lasted through the releases of the latter 70s. In the version of Bitter Green on Gord's Gold, you'll find orchestration produced by Holdridge, though again it is not full string orchestration. Most, if not all, of the early-released takes of Bitter Green found on various albums and/or CDs are the same non-orchestral version. The tracks for Gord's Gord were re-cut versions which contained the orchestration. Not sure this tells you what you are looking for, but hope it helps.

SUIM
SomewhereupinMichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2003, 12:45 PM   #4
Porter

Thanks for you reply to my inquery,SUMI. I am familar with all the versions you have mentioned,there was,however,an orchestrated version of the original UNITED ARTISTS '68 release,(which was on the Back Here On Earth album). This was released at the same time,or shortly before,the album was released. It was released as a single. Anyone else know anything regarding this inquery? Once again SUMI,thanks for your reply. Yawtre

[This message has been edited by Yawtre (edited November 23, 2003).]
Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2003, 12:45 PM   #5
Yawtre

Thanks for you reply to my inquery,SUMI. I am familar with all the versions you have mentioned,there was,however,an orchestrated version of the original UNITED ARTISTS '68 release,(which was on the Back Here On Earth album). This was released at the same time,or shortly before,the album was released. It was released as a single. Anyone else know anything regarding this inquery? Once again SUMI,thanks for your reply. Yawtre

[This message has been edited by Yawtre (edited November 23, 2003).]
Yawtre is offline   Reply With Quote