banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 12-07-2007, 05:33 PM   #26
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles
Default Re: CBC special based on "Gold Rush" book

Google alerts today brought me an interesting comment about a new DVD at:-
http://www.nowtoronto.com/issues/2007-12-06/music_dvdtip3.php
it is certainly headed
DVD Tip
SHAKIN' ALL OVER (EMI)
Oh yeah!
I tried googling for it but really only found the original book at
Amazon.com:..."><font face=Amazon.com:..." />Amazon.com:... Anyway the nowtoronto article had this to say:-
This music documentary based on Nicholas Jennings's book Before The Gold Rush on the rise of Canadian popular music in the 60s and 70s aired on CBC last year, and makes its way to home video this week. Unfortunately, this is still very much a whitewashed version of the story that only alludes to the important contributions of black R&B artists, particularly on the Yonge Street strip in Toronto.
While it's great to see brief snippets of the Ugly Ducklings, the Haunted, Joni Mitchell, Lighthouse and others, as well as hear the key players discuss their influences, there's far too much screen time wasted on pointless commentary from woefully inarticulate contemporary artists like Hawksley Workman, Matthew Good and Sarah Slean, who can barely put a sentence together, let alone offer some insight into the work of performers they barely know. And who really needs to hear Margo Timmins groaning through American Woman when explosive footage of Jackie Shane tearing up the Sapphire Tavern backed by Frank Motley and the Hitchhikers would've been far more exciting?
The bonus material consists of longer solo interview segments with Burton Cummings, Randy Bachman, Gordon Lightfoot, Bruce Cockburn, Sylvia Tyson and a few others, which prove to be quite revealing and should've been part of the original broadcast.
NOW | DECEMBER 6 - 12, 2007 | VOL. 27 NO. 14

I am naturally wondering if the DVD has really been released and if so is there as hoped for more of Gord on it than was broadcast??
I did some more determined googling at http://www.google.ca searching for "emi dvd"
and found
http://jam.canoe.ca/Music/Lowdown/2006/01/30/1418246-ca.html
which said back in January last year when the 2 hour show was aired
"EMI Music Canada will release a DVD and companion CD based on "Shakin' All Over," the two-hour documentary about Canadian pop music in the '60s that airs tonight (Jan. 30 2006) on CBC Television at 8 p.m. ET.
It's going to have a life beyond the TV special," says noted Toronto music journalist Nicholas Jennings, who wrote the book "Before the Gold Rush -- Flashbacks To The Dawn Of The Canadian Sound" (Penguin Books), on which the film is based, and served as the writer and associate producer of "Shakin' All Over."
Details have yet to be worked out with EMI such as track listing and additional content, but Jennings says the DVD and CD should be out this year, "maybe the spring, maybe the summer"
Perhaps one of you Canucks could contact Mr Jennings and remind him that it is now winter 2007!!
I refused to give up so I also searched at
http://www.emimusic.ca/
and found

VARIOUS ARTISTSShakin' All Over: Canadian Pop Music In The 60's - DVD Video
Available Dec. 11, 2007
EMI Canada
but there is a stoopid error on that site because clicking the "shakin" picture opens up an entirely different various artists item
Various Artists
"Halo 3 Soundtrack"

shopEMI price: $15.49 CDN

Availability:
NOT IN STOCK: This product is not in stock. We hope to be able to make this product available within one to five weeks.
It appears to be only CD anyway and had this forecast

Expected Release Date: December 31, 2008
at http://www.shopemi.com/comingsoon.asp
I fared no better so perhaps a local phone call to:-
(905) 624-2246
is in order (where 905 is greater Toronto)
rereading the earlier postings here I am still very keen to see a pair of television broadcasts. the fantastic March 1968 CBC showcase

that produced the ultra rare performance of "Face Of A Thousand People" and a copy of this seems to exist in the CBC museum
and a very dynamic show on BBC2 TV back in either 1971or 1972 that included a fantastic rendition of Farewell To Nova Scotia and Miguel

(where Sir does not signify that I am a fully benighted Knight just a Bt which signifies a humble Baronet -?? read the wiki!)
I meant no one no harm
Once inside we found a curious moonbeam
Doing dances on the floor

Last edited by johnfowles; 12-07-2007 at 05:44 PM. Reason: emphasised the years
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 06:06 PM   #27
vlmagee

Send a message via AIM to vlmagee Send a message via MSN to vlmagee

The DVD will be available from Amazon Canada on December 11th. I have a short article about it at my web site gordonlightfoot.com. I asked Nicholas Jennings if he knew about a US release, and he didn't know.
vlmagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 06:43 PM   #28
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfowles View Post
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]
the fantastic March 1968 CBC showcase...a copy of this seems to exist in the CBC museum
we no longer see updated listing of the CBC theatre showings...many budget cuts, it seems to all be winding down except for HNIC, Mercer and Mansbridge...even the Hour appears to be mostly repeats

wouldn't be surprised if that '68 show got sold off during one of their purges...or it could have just somehow quietly walked away from the museum or it may have got yanked loudly, in Rusty and Jerome fashion

audio preserved is a gem regardless of the snap and crackle....sure hope that video pops up
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 07:35 PM   #29
charlene

CBC better not fool around with Casey and Finegan!
lol

I was happy when I read about this DVD a while ago as my tape of the TV show isn't too great..

Hey Santa - did you get that hint?

I just took a quick look at my copy of the book - I never noticed or don't recall anyway, that it's autographed by Jennings..
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 03:35 PM   #30
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

As invariably happens when I do a search here I found an old thread that I had forgotten about to which I could now add some later detail in the case of his thread I did eventually last year in fact track down a copy of the Shakin All Over DVD on Ebay for $3.99 plus $6.50 shipping (click the reduced size image 640 pixels wide below to view the full sized scan of the case insert 2128 pixels wide)

I have however to admit that I was somewhat disappointed by it because despite having been a resident of Montreal from 1964 to 1969 I did not recognise much of the content, but then I did not listen very much to the top 40 genre of music preferring instead the better sound of the middle of the road output of the then new FM broadcasting stations in particular CJFM on which I first heard the wonderful richness of voice of this Lightfoot geezer in 1966 singing his monster hit Spin Spin, then his simply incredibly beautiful cover of Ewan McCall's The First Time Ever I saw Your Face.
Also as said Gord's two minutes (actually nearer three minutes) was rather limited and comprised mostly clips from the awesome 1972 BBC In Concert broadcast (namely EMR and DSMMN, which on that DVD is the uncredited second part of a medley that opens with For Lovin Me. But it was good to hear Burton Cummings tribute stemming from his attendance during Expo 67 at Montreal's New Penelope coffee house (the same week that I too saw Gord there for the first of to-date 88 concerts), now nearly 50 years later I remember that it was in a basement and here is a screenshot from the DVD showing its signboard

according to the poster

it was at
378 Sherbrooke Street West, Montreal
Google Streetview found 366 then two small shops/cafes between it and the present day Hilton Garden Inn which is either at 380 or 400 and as this screenshot shows opposite Hutchinson

so I guess that that basement is no more
I also found a 2004 obituary of Gary Eisenkraft, a pioneering Montreal folk and rock club entrepreneur of the 1960s who founded the 60 seater Penelope and then the 200 seater New Penelope see:-
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...ns/topics/9253
It was also remiss of the DVD insert artwork creator to omit Gord from it. I have pored all over the full sized copy and there is no Lighfoot image thereupon, yet there are of Joni Anne and Leonard and two of the inferior and IMHO greatly overrated Canadian Leg End Neil Young.
A poor and shaky compilation all over!!!

(where Sir does not signify that I am a fully benighted Knight just a Bt which signifies a humble Baronet -?? read the wiki!)
I meant no one no harm
Once inside we found a curious moonbeam
Doing dances on the floor

johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote