banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 02-21-2003, 09:24 PM   #1
justalightfootfan

I've visited this site a number of times over the past few months and am surprised that there is not more discussion about Gord's "condition." Apparently, there have been no statements either from the family or Barry Harvey for a long time. What is going on? I heard that Gord was released from the hospital, but does that mean he went home? I understand about family privacy, but with no information released, one can only wonder...did he have stroke or something like that?

I made one post a few months ago about directing positive energy and was blasted for it. Hope it doesn't happen again.
justalightfootfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 09:55 PM   #2
Auburn Annie

No blast from here - we're all wondering. The only "news" and indirect at that came via Char's report on the Lightfoot Tribute show in Toronto that she attended in mid January. Barry Harvey was there and said he (Gord) had thought about attending but was wary of picking up a respiratory infection (cold or flu) from the crowd, so he was a no-show. He was released to home on or around December 12th. It *would* be nice if EMP sent out a press release update (hint, hint to any staffers lurking-thanks in advance.)

[This message has been edited by Auburn Annie (edited February 21, 2003).]
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2003, 07:41 AM   #3
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

Questions and concerns about Gordon's condition, etc. led to a relative firestorm of controversy here some months back. Privacy was a word we were often told was the reason we should not talk about it. At the time many posters stop posting altogether here and others only lurk, or so it seems. And when it was mentioned that a more detailed "statement" from him or his team would be nice, since we fans do pay the bills, etc. we were told by some that "he owes us nothing". And that of course led to more bickering. So as for your surprise that there is not more discussion of this subject, I for one agree with you. But be careful if you are "sensitive" to negative replies. You may be scolded, or is that scalded? I hope we hear from him soon, in more ways than one.

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2003, 09:58 AM   #4
Sheila Ann

"That's what you get for lovin' me"...
Sheila Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 05:47 PM   #5
2loveandmaplesyrup

Hi, everyone,

I don't know if I'm still welcome here, but after reading this thread, I had to reply. Due to my computer crashing and health problems over the last year, I have been offline for some time. I've kind of been afraid to join in any of the conversations, but I will try and answer a few of your questions.

I don't know a lot of the answers, but I DID see Gord at his Jackson, California concert which was the last U.S. concert he did of that tour. (It was kind of nice because it's very close to my home town, so it was a "night out" instead of a major journey -- LOL. Anyhow, my mom and our pastor (who has been a big fan for years) went, as well.

The concert was probably one of the worst I have ever seen. He basically just rattled through about 20 songs with no intermission and left the stage. Afterwards, when we went backstage to talk with him (and there were only about eight guest passes issued by Barry, which is also unusual), Gord just saw us in the hallway (no green room) and then headed for his plane at Mather Air Field to go back home (didn't spend the night and leave the next day like he usually does). My mother (ever being a mother) commented on the way home that she felt he didn't look well at all. I said, well, he's probably very tired, this being the last concert and all, but she replied, "No, his color is not good. He looks like he really doesn't feel well."

I didn't think too much of it because mothers are always saying things like that. About a week and a half later, I called Barry to apologize to him for Jackson (not a really good venue and very difficult to find out in the booneys -- We live here and had trouble finding it!) and Barry just said to me, "You haven't heard, have you?" I said, "What?" And then he told me that the previous Saturday (I had called on a Monday) that Gord had been rushed to the hospital with severe abdominal pain, had major surgery on Sunday and as we spoke, he was in critical condition.

Needless to say, I was in shock kind of. My mother had been right. He was ill at that concert. I called something like every other week to see how he was doing. He got out of critical condition fairly quickly, but was intensive care for some time. After that, he was in the hospital for about two months. Anyway, a couple of weeks before Christmas, I called and Barry said he was home, which was a real relief to me.

All Barry would really tell me was that it was a weak blood vessel in Gord's abdomen that had ruptured. I asked if it was an aneurysm and he said no, but it was much like that.

Probably the reason Gord didn't show up in the crowd at the concert Char went to was because after major surgery like that and being so ill, one's immune system can become depressed and leave one susceptible to other illnesses. With Gord's age and considering what he has been through, just catching a cold could lead to pneumonia which could be a very dangerous thing.

Okay, I've babbled enough. Just wanted to let you guys know what I know. Perhaps you have just a bit more information which might clear things up a bit. Gord isn't trying to ignore his fans, but remember, if he doesn't protect his health, we could lose him altogether. I think he would just appreciate our patience.

And if anyone is angry that I posted this and showed up here again, I truly apologize. Let me know and I won't post anymore. Just trying to help a bit.

Stay loose, eh?

LAMS
2loveandmaplesyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 06:56 PM   #6
Auburn Annie

Thanks for the post. Since Dr. M's specialty is the spleen, the problem could have been with the splenic artery dissecting or rupturing. Whatever, we're blessed that he pulled through. And you're right about the immune system taking a while to recover from that kind of insult, not to mention disuse of muscles after having been laid out for that length of time. We can wait (maybe not patiently <g> ) until whenever.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 07:54 PM   #7
2loveandmaplesyrup

Auburn Annie,

I was kind of thinking abdominal aortic aneurysm, but I didn't realize the doc was a splenic surgeon. Very possible indeed. Since Gord told me he had been working out and running several miles everyday. I think he even said that in an interview. Could have taken a fall or lifted a weight (in work-out) that was too heavy.

Barry said all will be revealed when Gord is ready to talk about it. So, as you said, we'll just have to wait patiently to find out.

I didn't mean to sound like a know-it-all. Just trying to figure it out. (I work in a veterinary hospital and alas, I'm not as familiar with human anatomy as I am with animal anatomy, so maybe I was trying to put it all together in terms of the wrong species -- LOL! However, I DO watch "ER" like a fanatic.....

Stay loose, eh?

LAMS
Old 02-25-2003, 08:29 PM   #8
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

LAMS,

Just a few months(?) ago I had asked if anyone knew where you had gotten to. It's nice to have you posting again. Welcome? Of course! My post ROLL CALL didn't lure you in so I wondered how you were.

Peace,
Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 08:36 PM   #9
2loveandmaplesyrup

BillW:

WOW!! Thanks for the kind words. It makes me feel good to know that you missed me. I probably didn't get your post roll call because my computer was in Florida being repaired. I have a friend who is a computer wiz and had to move there because his mother is ill, so I had to send the darned thing to him to fix. I just got back online around December of last year.

I've just been a bit afraid to post. In fact, I can't even use my regular username because this site doesn't remember my password or my previous e-mail address, so I just said, heck, I'll just re-register. (However, the site DOES remember my username and won't let me use it again, so I had to change it a bit.)

Anyway, I'm babbling again, but thank you once again for your kind words. You made my day.

Stay loose, eh?

LAMS
Old 02-26-2003, 03:15 PM   #10
Borderstone

Like everyone else the last I heard was about his release from the Hospital and that he was recovering at home in Orillia. Get this though. Entertainment Tonight (when the story broke) reported about Gordon being rushed to emergency surgery,a story that lasted only about a minute. Then,when his birtthday came up on 11/17,there was no mention at all on their Celebrity Birthdays! It seems Gordon's only news-worthy if something's wrong. Typical media. Borderstone,outta here and Alberta Bound!
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 06:51 PM   #11
2loveandmaplesyrup

Borderstone:

You know, that seems to be the truth. The times he has been to my home town (Sacramento), it seems like it was the best kept secret in the country. (Even when Bob Dylan came here last year, I didn't find out about it until two days after the concert.)

But, as bad a venue as it was, at least when Gord came to Jackson (Jackson Rancheria) last fall, there was actually this HUGE sign (Those ads that are on these gigantic sign boards that are about fifty feet big) advertising him. And that one was in Sacramento.

It was kind of funny. Our pastor, as I said, went with us and there were all these magazines with Gord on the cover and they were free. We grabbed a handful of them and on the way out, Father Potter saw another stand and said, "Well, take more! They're free!" (He's a very down to earth sort of guy.) The point of all this is when we saw the sign board coming home, he said, "There you go. Why don't you call them and ask them for THAT poster!" Geez! It would have wallpapered two walls in our apartment. LOL!

To make a long story short, I have many copies of that Jackson Rancheria magazine with Gord on the cover. If anyone would like a copy, please let me know and I'll be glad to send you one. I have a fairly large stack of them and the cover photo, as well as the one inside and the article are rather good.

If you'd like, I could scan it and post it on this group, but there may be some folks who would like to have the actual thing.

LOL! My son was in my room after that concert and he ran across them and his comment was, "Mom, do you think you got ENOUGH copies!"

Stay loose, eh?

LAMS
Old 03-01-2003, 12:24 AM   #12
joveski

the dylan shows last year in sacramento were really good. got them both on bootlegs
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2003, 06:10 PM   #13
Chuck Darling

Hiya LAMS!
This site just ain't the same anymore without people like you,Wes and Janice! hope all is well dear...

Chuck.

------------------
Ever Onward...
Chuck Darling is offline   Reply With Quote