banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2006, 11:11 AM   #26
Auburn Annie

And for what it's worth, his religion, if any and whatever, is his own business. We're just nattering among ourselves, taking up bandwidth.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 04:24 AM   #27
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

Quote:
Originally posted by Auburn Annie:
And for what it's worth, his religion, if any and whatever, is his own business. We're just nattering among ourselves, taking up bandwidth.
I agree. But so is the number of wives & divorces he's had and the names of his kids and pictures of his house. I could go on but you take my point ? With so many fans and so many of us on this board what one person finds interesting and exciting another person will find invasive and/or boring. A topic that is indeed just nattering among ourselves will fade away and die a natural death. An interesting topic can stay around for months and sometimes years.

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 05:17 AM   #28
<Nattering on Nantucket>

Quote:
Natter: To talk idly or chatter.

So what's your problem? I see no ill effects that can be brought on by "nattering". It's harmless.

Sure, religion as it pertains to Mr. Lightfoot is his personal business, but make no mistake about it Auburn Annie, when a songwriter writes lyrics which browse the topic of God, people will wonder what his personal beliefs are.

Being that we are homo sapien sapiens (at least most of us!), which believe it or not have the capability to reason, think and talk amongst ourselves, sometimes, sometimes we will exercise our right and show off our skills by discussing such topics.

We identify with Gord on many different levels, his speak of religion is just one of them. There is nothing wrong with discussing this topic and we don't need a "boss lady" to tell us we're just taking up bandwith by "nattering" about a topic that some of us find interesting. How rude.

Auburn Annie, if you don't like this thread, why do you feel the need to post in it and which such rude comments? You all talk about his drinking problems, his kids, his ex-wives, whether or not he wore a wedding ring at his latest concert, where his house his at, if it's sold, what brand of cigs he smokes, if he smokes pot, if he still drinks, when he stopped drinking, and the list goes on and on and on. I guess you've never taken part in any such conversation. I'm sure you've Googled and hurridly posted your findings here on many similar topics.

Of course religion is personal. We didn't know that?? So are songs of love, lost love, heartbreak, lust, death, life, Heaven, the devil, ships sinking, burning and passing each other in the night, children, sex, killing whales, and a plethora of other topics, some not so personal and some personal. Lightfoot has written songs about all of the above and this forum and discussed, or "nattered" about them all. It all depends on who's eyes your looking through to determine how "personal" it is or isn't.

His illness back in 2002 was also personal wasn't it? I remember nothing but talk and speculation about this, depsite his family making a public statement (via the straw boss) that this was a very hard time for them and they wanted their privacy. Yet, on the one and only Lightfoot forum, rumors and speculation were rampant, despite his families wishes.

So please, gently step down from that high horse and back into reality.
Old 06-06-2006, 05:17 AM   #29
<Nattering on Nantucket>

Quote:
Natter: To talk idly or chatter.

So what's your problem? I see no ill effects that can be brought on by "nattering". It's harmless.

Sure, religion as it pertains to Mr. Lightfoot is his personal business, but make no mistake about it Auburn Annie, when a songwriter writes lyrics which browse the topic of God, people will wonder what his personal beliefs are.

Being that we are homo sapien sapiens (at least most of us!), which believe it or not have the capability to reason, think and talk amongst ourselves, sometimes, sometimes we will exercise our right and show off our skills by discussing such topics.

We identify with Gord on many different levels, his speak of religion is just one of them. There is nothing wrong with discussing this topic and we don't need a "boss lady" to tell us we're just taking up bandwith by "nattering" about a topic that some of us find interesting. How rude.

Auburn Annie, if you don't like this thread, why do you feel the need to post in it and which such rude comments? You all talk about his drinking problems, his kids, his ex-wives, whether or not he wore a wedding ring at his latest concert, where his house his at, if it's sold, what brand of cigs he smokes, if he smokes pot, if he still drinks, when he stopped drinking, and the list goes on and on and on. I guess you've never taken part in any such conversation. I'm sure you've Googled and hurridly posted your findings here on many similar topics.

Of course religion is personal. We didn't know that?? So are songs of love, lost love, heartbreak, lust, death, life, Heaven, the devil, ships sinking, burning and passing each other in the night, children, sex, killing whales, and a plethora of other topics, some not so personal and some personal. Lightfoot has written songs about all of the above and this forum and discussed, or "nattered" about them all. It all depends on who's eyes your looking through to determine how "personal" it is or isn't.

His illness back in 2002 was also personal wasn't it? I remember nothing but talk and speculation about this, depsite his family making a public statement (via the straw boss) that this was a very hard time for them and they wanted their privacy. Yet, on the one and only Lightfoot forum, rumors and speculation were rampant, despite his families wishes.

So please, gently step down from that high horse and back into reality.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:29 AM   #30
Auburn Annie

Oh for pity's sake - MORE bandwidth wasted. Sorry if you misread my post. It's just in the greater scheme of things Gord's beliefs are his own and what we think matters not to him or the universe. That includes religion, politics and the price of eggs. Lighten up, folks (and that includes the homo sapiens among us.)

I'm leaving now to do more important stuff, like look after my mother for the morning. Carry on without me for a while.

Climbing down off my high horse now..........
Old 06-06-2006, 06:29 AM   #31
Auburn Annie

Oh for pity's sake - MORE bandwidth wasted. Sorry if you misread my post. It's just in the greater scheme of things Gord's beliefs are his own and what we think matters not to him or the universe. That includes religion, politics and the price of eggs. Lighten up, folks (and that includes the homo sapiens among us.)

I'm leaving now to do more important stuff, like look after my mother for the morning. Carry on without me for a while.

Climbing down off my high horse now..........
Old 06-06-2006, 11:01 AM   #32
brink-

lol Annie, while takiing care or your mother, doing all the wondeful research you do for us, taking care of your family, feeding the dog and covering his newly dug holes, please remember to feed and water your high horse and remember you can have your opinion too, just as everyone else...don't be gone too long.

Deb
brink- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 04:36 AM   #33
geodeticman

Send a message via AIM to geodeticman

I think there is a full moon out. LOL YES. There is. I think what is happening, (setting aside spurious corrolations between full moons and unusual behavior), is intelligent people having differing opinions, and bad days, good days, and overall just being bipodal hominids.

Don't we all have a right to our opinion, as long as it is within the bounds of good taste,
spoken with respect for one another and thankfulness for the right to the above ?

I just read several well made points of view, and a few defensive, and a few journalistically balanced with both sides of the same point in the same post ( well done !).

The family's wishes sound like a fair point.

As far as religion, I have learned to be VARY careful about this one, ....but why ?...well it IS reasonable to not espouse any ONE religion eggregiously in a forum not meant for prosthelytizing (sp?) over another.

But is it reasonable to NOT welcome a few thoughtfully made comments on the FACT that some (actually, a lot of) Gord's lyrics are in any event spiritual, if not religious?

Actually, the examples are rife. I would personally point out "Make Way For the Lady" with lyrics (by memory): "shake hands with the Father, the Son and the.. Holy Ghost.. the impossible believer, and the Heavenly Host" Hmmm I'd say those are religious lyrics, but does that mean Gord's message is religion, any one religion, or that his music is religious ? Not necessarily at all.

Does the fact that a painter paints a picture of say... people in poverty at Christmas while a circle of steel revolves mean that Christmas is beset by sadness ? Perhaps, but only the artist knows. We were intended, I think... to enjoy it and draw our own conclusions.

I must agree, despite the generally agreed upon three things to not bring up in polite discussion - politics, religion, and (dang it whats that third one....LOL) that this a fair forum for thoughtful, intelligent , if not sparkling reparte about the question of his lyrics that generally speaking, quite often mention man's spirituality.

And perhaps therin lies the considerate middle ground: Gordon writing frequent, or occassional (opinion) religious or spiritual (opinion) lyrics does in and of itself demand that we agree that Gord is spiritual (and yes, that is private IMHO), but rather that clearly, his lyrics frequently, and whole songs (less frquently) are at least spiritual in nature.

The music, the thought, the pondering, the exploration of [religion], all fair to say come up undeniably. May we draw conclusions ? I don't think so.... but its only fair and reasonable to appreciate intelligent comments on both the hypothesis and the null hypothesis both in the most balnced comments I've read. I thought all had some good points.

I maintain again that what we generally agree on as truisms about Gord are no revelations to most members, but finer points about his lyrics SHOULD be enjoyed as foddder for discussion and examined like a fine painting.... and may we not be presumptious enough to announce what the painter was thinking? Rather, speculate within good taste what we see/hear.

Seems cool to me. Sounds.....human. I welcome discussion about it, personally. I am inclined to agree Gord at least thinks about, and writes about, what sounds to me very mcuh like Christian Spirituality. His own religion ? Waaaay to private a subject, I agree.

I am only expressing my opinion, and do not mean to espouse what many of us would generally agree upon as being my own ideas, just truisms as they may be. I am catching myself speaking somewhat circularly, please accept my apologies for that fact. I've enjoyed each posting in this brave thread... where most fear to tread...
geo Steve

[ June 12, 2006, 05:09: Message edited by: geodeticman ]
geodeticman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 06:31 AM   #34
charlene

Regardless of what Lightfoot song I am listening to they are always spiritual moments for ME, the listener...

charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 06:31 AM   #35
charlene

Regardless of what Lightfoot song I am listening to they are always spiritual moments for ME, the listener...

Old 11-19-2017, 12:18 PM   #36
charlene

Default Re: Lightfoot Religion

this very, very brief chapter of his life in the late 60's where he looked into but did not join is in the new book..LIGHTFOOT by Nicholas Jennings.. His marriage to Brita was falling apart and he was seeking help. He went to the TO offices and submitted himself to the ''processing'' via "E-METER.. Just talking to someone about this marital problems helped and he was declared "Going clear"..successfully rid of those memories and repressed memories of past trauma. It was just a brief flirtation but he never stuck with it, ''but it was good to have someone to talk to, a bit like seeing a psychiatrist.".. he was also escaping into the comfort of the bottle.
Old 11-23-2017, 11:16 AM   #37
Rob1956

Default Re: Lightfoot Religion

I suspect that if Gord had been involved with Scientology, there would have been a big stink if he tried to leave. Anyone who becomes a member and tries to leave, well, Scientology makes your life very difficult. That's known. Someone as famous as Gord, really would've been raked over the coals. Gord was raised a Protestant, a member of The United Church of Canada, the largest denomination in Canada after the Catholic Church. There was a merger with the Methodist Church of Canada, but United of Canada was officially formed in 1925. I could be wrong, but I suspect one or both of Gord's parents were members of the United Church of Canada.
Rob1956 is offline   Reply With Quote