banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 03-18-2003, 11:22 PM   #26
BrightSide

Saw Gord at Merriweather (SP?) Post Pavillion in Columbia, MD, in the early 70s. I had a friend who was a big fan, and I'm ashamed to say that I was so young and ignorant I didn't pay much attention and spent the evening socializing! I remember being impressed, as I had expected to be, with the sheer beauty of his voice. (Back then, it was quite common for "Don Q" to be playing in the background of a not-too-raucus party.) I thought he was like Tom Rush or Linda Ronstadt, though--a voice; an interpreter--I didn't even know he wrote almost all of his songs! (To paraphrase one of his titles, Forgive Me, Gord!)

It was the latter-day re-release of his older stuff that opened my eyes and ears. Thank you, Rhino Records and Thane Tierney!
BrightSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 11:22 PM   #27
MaryEllen

Saw Gord at Merriweather (SP?) Post Pavillion in Columbia, MD, in the early 70s. I had a friend who was a big fan, and I'm ashamed to say that I was so young and ignorant I didn't pay much attention and spent the evening socializing! I remember being impressed, as I had expected to be, with the sheer beauty of his voice. (Back then, it was quite common for "Don Q" to be playing in the background of a not-too-raucus party.) I thought he was like Tom Rush or Linda Ronstadt, though--a voice; an interpreter--I didn't even know he wrote almost all of his songs! (To paraphrase one of his titles, Forgive Me, Gord!)

It was the latter-day re-release of his older stuff that opened my eyes and ears. Thank you, Rhino Records and Thane Tierney!
MaryEllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 07:51 AM   #28
char

I saw Gord for the first time at Massey Hall in May 1973 when he got up on stage with Kris Kristofferson. It was a Kristofferson/Rita Coolidge concert that was awesome. I had shot of all the rolls of my film and had sat back to enjoy the show. Gord had a bit of a time getting up on stage (he seemed to have imbibed a few prior to the concert) and sang Bobby Magee with Kris. I always wondered if I had dreamt it or not becaue I never saw a picture of them until SONGBOOK came out and there they were together!! I WASN"T crazxy!
lol
Char
i did get some WONDERFUL pics of Kris tho!!

char is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 01:10 PM   #29
macjames

I have been a big fan since back in my toddler days when my dad used to play Gordon on the record player.

My first concert was in April of 2001 at the Fox theater in Detroit. I had front row center stage with my husband. He bought them for me for my 26th birthday a week later. It was absolutely great. After that I seen him in October of 2002 at Michigan Theater in Ann Arbor and I had tickets for his concert at the Wharton Center at Michigan State in October of last year but it was cancelled beacuse of Gord's illness. But I am so glad he is getting better.
macjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 01:10 PM   #30
christinefrommichigan

Send a message via AIM to christinefrommichigan

I have been a big fan since back in my toddler days when my dad used to play Gordon on the record player.

My first concert was in April of 2001 at the Fox theater in Detroit. I had front row center stage with my husband. He bought them for me for my 26th birthday a week later. It was absolutely great. After that I seen him in October of 2002 at Michigan Theater in Ann Arbor and I had tickets for his concert at the Wharton Center at Michigan State in October of last year but it was cancelled beacuse of Gord's illness. But I am so glad he is getting better.
christinefrommichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 04:39 PM   #31
TheWatchman

Wes, you better bring more than paper towels my friend.lol Read on.

You will need Draino as the water in the shower was hovering my knee caps. Bring some TP as all he had was coffee filters for toilet paper. This was about 10 years ago and he is now married and cares more about the little things.
TheWatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 05:27 PM   #32
Shelby

Hello this this my first post ever here so hello. I am a HUGE fan of GL. The first time I saw GL was in Suite St Maire MI in (?)1997/1998 it was dinner with gl and than concert since than i have seen him 6 times in differet places but what struck me was christine from michigans post below i was at all the same concerts and i thought how ironic. anyway great site and ill be back...
Shelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 05:27 PM   #33
maggiemae

Hello this this my first post ever here so hello. I am a HUGE fan of GL. The first time I saw GL was in Suite St Maire MI in (?)1997/1998 it was dinner with gl and than concert since than i have seen him 6 times in differet places but what struck me was christine from michigans post below i was at all the same concerts and i thought how ironic. anyway great site and ill be back...
maggiemae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 07:09 PM   #34
Paul J B

Great Topic Wes!

My first show was the Salute tour and was in Highland Hts, Ohio at the now torn down Front Row Theatre..In the round..When Gord plugged in you could hear a collective gasp from the crowd, Gordon assured everyone it would be alright!

Chuck

------------------
Ever Onward...
Paul J B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 07:09 PM   #35
Chuck Darling

Great Topic Wes!

My first show was the Salute tour and was in Highland Hts, Ohio at the now torn down Front Row Theatre..In the round..When Gord plugged in you could hear a collective gasp from the crowd, Gordon assured everyone it would be alright!

Chuck

------------------
Ever Onward...
Chuck Darling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 08:08 PM   #36
ChristopherPennington

I saw GL in concert once at Carnegie Hall, 2 or 3 times at Philharmonic Hall (both in NYC), and once at Princeton (NJ), during the early to mid 70s. At Princeton GL had a great warm-up act with him - except that now I can't remember if it was Stu Nunnery or David Pomeranz. I have what I believe to be the one and only albums by both of these guys! Anyone ever hear of either of them? Anyway, in the late 80's I was lucky enough to see GL one more time at the Westbury Music Fair on Long Island.
ChristopherPennington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 08:08 PM   #37
70sFan

I saw GL in concert once at Carnegie Hall, 2 or 3 times at Philharmonic Hall (both in NYC), and once at Princeton (NJ), during the early to mid 70s. At Princeton GL had a great warm-up act with him - except that now I can't remember if it was Stu Nunnery or David Pomeranz. I have what I believe to be the one and only albums by both of these guys! Anyone ever hear of either of them? Anyway, in the late 80's I was lucky enough to see GL one more time at the Westbury Music Fair on Long Island.
70sFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 08:17 PM   #38
ChristopherPennington

Shows what I know...an internet search reveals that David Pomeranz is a very accomplished songwriter/musician that I imagine many of you have heard of. He certainly has more than one album and has written quite a few songs for other people! http://www.davidpomeranz.com/biography.html.
Stu Nunnery, on the other hand, seems to be as obscure as I thought - it was probably Stu Nunnery who I saw. Was anyone else at that Lightfoot concert in Princeton?
ChristopherPennington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 08:17 PM   #39
70sFan

Shows what I know...an internet search reveals that David Pomeranz is a very accomplished songwriter/musician that I imagine many of you have heard of. He certainly has more than one album and has written quite a few songs for other people! http://www.davidpomeranz.com/biography.html.
Stu Nunnery, on the other hand, seems to be as obscure as I thought - it was probably Stu Nunnery who I saw. Was anyone else at that Lightfoot concert in Princeton?
70sFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 08:47 PM   #40
SomewhereupinMichigan

Maggie: You must mean Sault Sainte Marie...just call us "Soo"!
SomewhereupinMichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 10:28 PM   #41
Mist O' The Morn'

I was doing coffee houses and folk clubs in the early 70's, and while I was working through Michigan in 1970 I attended my first Lightfoot performance. I was mesmerized, and although I had performed a fair number of his songs throughout my sets, I really didn't appreciate his talent until I heard him that night. After that, I just built a greater song list around his music. To this day, I have never been disappointed with anything he's created.

------------------
restless shadows
Mist O' The Morn' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 10:28 PM   #42
walls

Send a message via MSN to walls

I was doing coffee houses and folk clubs in the early 70's, and while I was working through Michigan in 1970 I attended my first Lightfoot performance. I was mesmerized, and although I had performed a fair number of his songs throughout my sets, I really didn't appreciate his talent until I heard him that night. After that, I just built a greater song list around his music. To this day, I have never been disappointed with anything he's created.

------------------
restless shadows
walls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 09:45 AM   #43
Shelby

quote:Originally posted by SomewhereupinMichigan:

yeah thats what i meant. where in michigan are you from?
Shelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 09:45 AM   #44
maggiemae

quote:Originally posted by SomewhereupinMichigan:

yeah thats what i meant. where in michigan are you from?
maggiemae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 06:13 PM   #45
Borderstone

Gee whiz wess! You lucky guy! You got to see him in concert in his hey-days! I was only 5 then,darn it. Then again,I hadn't heard of him yet. I have told this a few times and I said I wouldn't again but the 1st time was August 6th,2002 at the Dodge Theater here in PHX,AZ. What a cool,relaxed concert that was. I had 10th row seats,which were pretty good. Just before the end of the first 1/2 though,I noticed no one had occupied the 2nd row! (Apparently,the Ticketmaster cashier fibbed about those being taken.) So,I moved up there and in the 2nd 1/2 I was virtually face to face! I sang right along and sometimes blended in with his voice,at least that's the way it sounded. After the show about 30 audience members and I stuck around for autographs and surer enough he and ther band gave 'em. I shook hands with him and patted him on the back saing good show! Not bad for a f 1st concert from him! Borderstone,outta time and A.b.!
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 06:19 PM   #46
Borderstone

I'm on a different computer now. The last one had sticky buttons. eeeewww.
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 07:56 PM   #47
SomewhereupinMichigan

MaggieM: at the moment I'm in Owosso...west of Flint about 20 miles. The Soo is a sometimes location though. You?
SomewhereupinMichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2003, 02:19 AM   #48
Brenda

October, 1972 at San Jose Civic Auditorium. I was fortunate in that I knew most of his tunes as the acoustics were lousy. During the week they played high school and some college basketball games there as well as "professional" wrestling matches. "Old Dan's Records" had just been released so the bulk of his material was from that album and "Don Quixote" which had been released in the spring of that same year. Was not terribly talkative that night and performed only three or four tunes from his UA days. I kind of wanted to see Red Shea, but I got over it in a hurry. Rick Haynes played bass. He played "Canadian Railroad Trilogy" about midway through the second set, which I would find later to be a departure from the norm. The audience was appreciative and well mannered. (Aren't we all?)
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2003, 02:19 AM   #49
Westernstar9

October, 1972 at San Jose Civic Auditorium. I was fortunate in that I knew most of his tunes as the acoustics were lousy. During the week they played high school and some college basketball games there as well as "professional" wrestling matches. "Old Dan's Records" had just been released so the bulk of his material was from that album and "Don Quixote" which had been released in the spring of that same year. Was not terribly talkative that night and performed only three or four tunes from his UA days. I kind of wanted to see Red Shea, but I got over it in a hurry. Rick Haynes played bass. He played "Canadian Railroad Trilogy" about midway through the second set, which I would find later to be a departure from the norm. The audience was appreciative and well mannered. (Aren't we all?)
Westernstar9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2003, 10:24 AM   #50
dglatta

Dec. 15, 1973 at the University of Iowa Fieldhouse. It was a triple bill with Waylon Jennings, Kris Kristofferson, and Gordon Lightfoot. Billy Swan was also onstage and sang his then hit, "I Can Help". The biggest memory I have of the concert is all three of the headliners on stage singing 'Goodnight Irene" as an encore. It was one of those concerts you wish you could relive! (And I think the tickets for unreserved seats were $5.95!)
dglatta is offline   Reply With Quote