banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 07-10-2008, 09:41 PM   #1
geodeticman.5

Default Hello old friends; geodeticman "geo steve"

The point of this thread, at risk of unintentionally drawing too much attention, is too let you know I am back and have not fallen off of the earth. "geo steve" as most of u called me vs. geodeticman. I've had a major loss in life and am sorry I have not logged in for so long.

I have missed you guys a lot. It is good to be back. The temporary (I hope) geodeticman.5 I have requested from the bosses to set back to my old geodeticman.

I am very, very sad to report to those of you who I had regular exchange with that my wife, Merry, has passed away - 4/18/08 nigh on 3 months ago. You were all such a source of kind strength and inspiration as she and I fought the vey long medical fight, and indeed Gordon's music, as always, was instrumental in helping me re-center ( in progress).

I have been in heavy mourning, and why I have not logged in sooner I will never know. During the long medical struggle I droppped off loggin in, perhaps almost a year ? I'll have to see. Now, as widower, trying to re-build my life as it were, am very happy to see some very familiar names !

And good Lord - StoneWall Studios /ThomasJ157 are now up to 84 videos ? INCREDIBLE and indeed beautiful. I have watched them in You Tube for about 2 months now; entranced.

Oh - I also, at my daughters provocation - under her initial construct - have a home page in MySpace - geodeticman. the URL is http://www.myspace.com/geodeticman - and then proceed to profile page with an old Ptolemeian antique map backdrop, a Don Quixote painting in lieu of a photograph for now, and a music playlist with Gordon of course and other eclectic tastes of mine. I thought MySpace was a problem-frought venue for a younger crowd than me; but so far it is non-problematic and other family is on board, too. It is under construction but I would welcome input. Please advise of any grave problems you guys are aware of. It is a tad cloying "me-ism"-centric. But, with Gord's music in it, can't be all bad, eh ?

Also, by virtue of circumstance, my e-mail URL has changed to
mamies8dad@hotmail.com - for my 26 yr old wonderful daughter Mamie - without whom I could never have survivied losing Merry. And I am, as father, supposed to helping HER through it.... she's amazing.

I've missed you all.... can I come in and blather away once again ?

I hope this unintentionally presumptuous thread and post is a humble way to re-enter and say hello - I have not forgotten any of you. :~)
geo Steve
geodeticman.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 11:04 PM   #2
Don Quixote

Default Re: Hello old friends; geodeticman "geo steve"

G-Man,
Great to have you back, but I mourn with you the loss of your wife. I'll say a prayer if you like. Please don't be a stranger here.
Best,
DQ
Don Quixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 11:49 PM   #3
brink-

Welcome back Steve, so sorry about Merry. I know you both had quite a struggle, I hope she has found peace and that you will soon too. Glad that Mamie is helping you and that you are helping her.
You have some catching up to do. Nice to see that you are a Stonewall/TJ fan too.
brink- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 12:11 AM   #4
charlene

Not wanting to intrude I have wondered where you have been..I had a feeling..and hoped you'd take your time and find your way..I am sorry beyond words..
I will investigate your site..
Mamie is a treasure for sure.
welcome back.
char
another "Cancer the Crab"...
love Don McLean -"Castles In The Air".. wow..
"the music plays and everyone must dance"..
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 01:48 AM   #5
geodeticman.5

Thank you somusch, DQ, Brink, and Char. This means alot to me. I hope to see a few more familiar names saying hello too. I hope the last year has treated you all well.

Char are you moving up to Moderator-Emeritus ? Semi -retiring from the huge duties, or as it sounds, assisting. or being assisted ? Thanks for the comments on the MySpace profile page. I've always loved that song too - "Castles in the Air" . I sneakingly suspect many Gord fans have Arthurian dreams of some sort - I do. Thanks for the kind words.

DQ - thank you for the prayer - how goes the Spanish professorial gig ? You might know the origin of the Cervantes protagonist in the drawing in my MySpace profile ; ) - I found it surfing- not sure where now.

Brink - Thank you so much. Missed you guys. I remember back when you offerred some great kindnesses involving travel in Colorado - and I never forgot how selfless that was. Yes - I am totally blown away by StoneWall/TJ vistorys and especially like:
*Too Late for Prayin'
*Your Love's Return
*The First Time (Ever I saw Your Face)
*Spanish Moss
*Beautiful - all of 'em
*Circle of Steel
*Pee Wee's Baby Step Back - a Warner/Reprise pro vid ?
-and about 80 others - those guys with you folks help are on a major artistic roll - I can't believe Moose/Early Morning Music has not sent a letter or such yet - they'll love it. What a tribute !

You 3 single-handedly raised my survival points by 50% just by hearing back from you - thank you so much. I miss Merry so much I could die. It has totally taken my mind away from my own pending surgical/medical pursuits, of which I will not trouble you guys. She was my life for 28 years...... and of course my Mamie, without whom I'd be lost now, God Bless her. Must've done something right between Merry and I raising her...
geo Steve
Old 07-11-2008, 05:20 AM   #6
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

Welcome back Steve,

Words fail me. You seem to have the strength and support you need at this time. Glad that you've rejoined us here. If nothing else it should prove a healthy diversion from time to time. We'll keep you in our prayers.

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 07:26 AM   #7
Jesse Joe

Welcome back Geo Steve, really sorry to hear about your loss.

All the best to you.
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 07:49 AM   #8
Yuri

Very sorry for your loss Steve. I hope the future will offer you some of the same joy you shared with Merry. Welcome back to your Corfid family.
Yuri
Bugs! - http://thunderhouse4-yuri.blogspot.com/
Yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 09:21 AM   #9
Rainbow Trout

Steve, I am so sorry to know of your loss. Hopefully you will find comfort and peace in coming back to corfid, it's a great group of people who seem to have alot of compassion for others. Welcome back and grace and peace to you.
Rainbow Trout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 10:30 AM   #10
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy

Welcome back, Geo Steve. I'm really sorry to hear about Merry's passing. Hang in there. It helps to be around friends.

I have a myspace page too, but rarely go there to see what's happening. I just don't have the time!

It's great to have you back.

Cathy
Old 07-11-2008, 10:36 AM   #11
formerlylavender

I'm very sorry to hear about your loss. Hopefully being back on corfid will be a comfort and catching up on all that you missed will keep your mind "distracted" if only for a while.
formerlylavender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 12:17 PM   #12
Sundown17

Steve,

I am so sorry to read about Merry's passing. Your post was not presumptuous at all. We are grateful and honored that you came back to us after such a devastating loss.

You've come back to the right place. Blather away and more than once in a while please. You know are among friends here. Children can be a blessing. Helping you may be the help Mamie needs for herself too.

Cool music on your myspace. In fact I smiled at the memories a lot of the titles evoked. A very well thought out sampling.

Again, my deepest condolences Steve and Mamie.

Cherish the memories.

Yours in Gord,
Diane
Sundown17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 12:31 PM   #13
lighthead2toe

Welcome back Steve and my condolences to you and Mamie. Corfid is a good comfort zone to hang out and the solace provided by the folks here will no doubt help lift your spirits. Hang in there. RJ.
lighthead2toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 12:44 PM   #14
Sundown17

Steve,

Just had to come back and tell you that I have been listening to your myspace playlist while doing my usual morning (okay, okay, it's afternoon...but I work nights...anything before 5 pm is morning to me. lol) internet travels. It's been an amazing addition to my cyber routine. Thank you!

Diane
Old 07-11-2008, 12:45 PM   #15
lighthead2toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri View Post
Very sorry for your loss Steve. I hope the future will offer you some of the same joy you shared with Merry. Welcome back to your Corfid family.
Yuri
Yuri I can't tell you in words how wonderful the feeling was going through all your accomplishments shown here. To simply say you are one amazing guy would be an understatement. The stamina you possess could teach a lesson to many. You and Cathy are a wonderful couple and I sincerely hope that you will be one among us at the next Lightfoot gathering in Toronto. Ron J.
lighthead2toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 01:12 PM   #16
Jenney

Welcome back Steve. My deepest, deepest condolences on your loss.
I don't post much here, for some reason my home computer won't allow me too with the new format, but I still read Corfid often.

Glad to see you back here.

Jenney
Jenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 04:39 PM   #17
geodeticman.5

My God - you guys are all amazing. I am embarrassed to say I feel I have come home from a war; torn clothing and a rucksack at your door. And to welcomed into the warmth the way all of you have hear; I... am ttoo choked up. I will address each of you in thanks give me alittle time.... Yury's story is indeed a tribute to human strength, faith, compassioon, and victory, still being of lighthearted and enjoyable comport to read words from. Your canoe epics link blew me awaw. Cathy, Jenney, Ltootoe, Sundown17, formerlylavender,BillW, Jessie-Joe,Rainbow, Char, Don Quixote, and Brink, I am missing some I know but THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart. Your heartfelt welcomes and condolances bring good tears- you know the kind. As old Sachmo sang, it is truly a "what a Wonderful world" - God Bless you all. I look forward 2 hearing from those of you compelled to say howdy yet too.

And Sundown17 - thanks for the thumbs up on my first cut, needs some work, many URLS are cross-linked or something, on MYSpace playlist.

This is one hell of a special family in here.

edited for mispelling of Char - was var oops and Rainbow

Last edited by geodeticman.5; 07-11-2008 at 08:52 PM.
Old 07-11-2008, 08:08 PM   #18
Yuri

Yikes guys! How did I get woven into this thread? This is Steve’s “welcome back”. However, I do understand how Steve feels about this Corfid clan. During the darkest moments of my own ordeal, the cards, letters and e-mails that poured in were invaluable in lifting my spirits. I’ve saved them in a binder and continue to cherish them. Picture this blubbering fool opening a ‘Get Well’ card signed by Gord and the boys, which Jenney arranged to have sent my way. You guys are priceless….

Other than my Cathy, I’ve had three close friends in my lifetime. One continues to fight his adulterous wife in court after she willingly traded her marriage & two children for a new boyfriend. My other childhood friend has phoned me once in the two years post injury - finding the time during a concert intermission. The third, and perhaps closest died of a massive heart attack a year ago. He was a year younger than myself. So you can certainly understand how comforting it is to spin some Lightfoot and correspond with the friends I’ve made through Corfid.

Losing one’s mobility is one thing but losing one’s partner & loved one is quite another. Life’s values certainly look different when viewed from the other side of a catastrophic event. Count your blessings and treasure your friends & loved ones while you can. I guarantee you, whenever it ends, it will be far too soon………..now I’m blubbering again……

Hang in there Steve…

Yuri
Old 07-11-2008, 08:33 PM   #19
Borderstone

Yo Geo!! Borderstone here. Welcome back! It's always a great thing when well known members make a return to the site.

Hope you're settin' a spell and are here to have fun too. Nice to see you back.
Old 07-11-2008, 08:47 PM   #20
geodeticman.5

Yuri,
You speak heartfelt words from a man who knows from whence he speaks. Your canoeing and corresponding story is truly an inspiration to me, an avid (previously and hopefully again, oxygen on my back, may be a LLama named Tony or 2 har ) outdoorsman, cannoeist/canoer, backpacker,snowshoer,former climber, and God how I miss it. I relive it listening to Gord's lyrics of the wilderness, and reading great stuff like you layed down. You hang in there, too buddy - you set the bar for comebacks.

I have not taken my wedding ring off in the almost 3 months now, and don't know how or when. I look at hers, and figure I'll give to my daughter when her someday daughter gets married, or : ladies ? what do i do ? with it ?
Thank you Yuri - you are an inspiration to say the least. We must correspond on the J-stroke merits, Old Town's classic logo demise, et al
thanks ~ geo steve
Old 07-11-2008, 08:51 PM   #21
geodeticman.5

Yo Bo: Thanks for the hearty welcome back. Thank you. As for sittin down for a spell, I might sit down and have a spell . Mixture of emotions . you know. It is increasingly cheerful for me in the two days I am back in corfid. You guys should be lined up on the walls around pools, and ringing the railings on weatherdecks - your saying "what the he** is he talking about?" - Lifesavers ! Thats what you all are.... thank you for the warm welcome.
~geo steve
Old 07-11-2008, 10:35 PM   #22
Yuri

Quote:
Originally Posted by geodeticman.5 View Post
I have not taken my wedding ring off in the almost 3 months now, and don't know how or when. I look at hers, and figure I'll give to my daughter when her someday daughter gets married, or : ladies ? what do i do ? with it ?
I ain't no lady but this old romantic curmudgeon suggests buying a nice gold chain, stringing the ring onto it as a pendant and wearing it over your heart - where your love for Merry still resides...
Old 07-11-2008, 10:57 PM   #23
Sundown17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri View Post
I ain't no lady but this old romantic curmudgeon suggests buying a nice gold chain, stringing the ring onto it as a pendant and wearing it over your heart - where your love for Merry still resides...
That's a lovely idea, Yuri.

The biggest thing though, Steve, is not to worry about it. Keep Merry's ring, keep yours on as long as you want to. You will know when the time is right to do elsewise.

Diane
Old 07-11-2008, 11:10 PM   #24
geodeticman.5

Yuri and Sundown17 - thank you for the idea Yuri and the advice Sundown - it helps .... thats just what one of my old, old friends wife said to me too - I'd know the time. Yuri I like that idea.. 'cep my luck I'd fall forward, and pierce my one good lung left with the rock I bought Merry 29 years ago. LOL . Humour is not a bad thing on sad things is it ? geo steve
Old 07-12-2008, 04:44 PM   #25
geodeticman.5

Thank you all one more time; I hope I've named you all in thanks, Borderstone I replied to your howdy, but I want to thank you here formally.

You guys are unlike any other on-line venue of any kind I have ever encountered. Is it Gord's music that, beyond the obvious common denominator of loving his music, have all been profoundly influenced in our life by it ? Thats not overstaing it for me. IT must also be that GOOD, compassionate, and humane people are drawn to music filled with humanity, compassion, and is GOOD... Great !

As I mentioned in another thread, Mamie brought me home last night ( my daughter) 2 CD's she ordered from Bogey's. Its the local new and used CD and LP store in our small, olde town part of this growing highland bedroom community to Denver, for Fathers day back then, and in our comparitively sleepy little burg in the midst of burgeoning county growth got two harder to find CD's for her, and I bought one.

She got me a new replacement Sundown, and a hard to find Salute!. I ordered myself and bought Harmony. I am blissfully listening to "Is There Anyone Home" on Sundown on repeat, and LOVING IT as Maxwell Smart would say. Once again , thank you all for such a warm welcome back and your helpful and sincere condolances, and stories have all been of immense help.

I've been experiencing some uncharacteristic ups and downs in the last three days, even compared to the expected bumps and valleys of grieving in the last 11 weeks; some unexpected "highs" thanks to you guys and Gordon's music - the new CD's were like Christmas in July ! May all of you have a great week to come and weekend now; and be filled with the healthy high from Gord's music. You may all bill me for therapy at $320/50 minute hour American for your kind responses in this thread and others. j/k on the $320 part... gulp LOL Sincerely,
~geo Steve