banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 06-29-2004, 11:23 AM   #1
irish47

I was wondering if anyone recalls if they had a similar concert experience with Spanish Moss.
It was early to mid 80s, Gord had just done a couple concerts in the Boca Raton/Ft. Lauderdale area (FL), his next stop was in Wallingford, CT and of course, I was there. I had heard him do Spanish Moss several times before, with no special comment and very much as the recording. But, that was the last time I ever heard him do that song in concert. Also, it's not on the Box Set, not on the newest Greatest Hits. I think most of us would agree, it's one of his best, most under-rated...great melody, great chord progressions, great words that flow...

But at this concert in CT, before the song, he spent about a minute emphatically telling the audience that the Press was wrong, that he COULD do this song without 'breaking down' (ie, tears) and something to the effect, that he didn't know where these 'rumors' came from. I don't think many, if anyone knew what he was talking about regarding the Press...this was still well before Al Gore invented the internet and the local papers would only write after a show, if that.

So he launches into the song, it goes as usual, in very good voice....until the middle part where the instrumental is on the record. In place of the instrumental, he spoke a short, very impassioned verse... all I can remember is that it contained:

"I could never love anyone as much as I love you..."

....totally catching the audience off-guard with it. He finished the song as usual, he DID get through it...but you could see him shake his head vigorously (as was his fashion sometimes), taking deep breaths and looking quite relieved as he turned and went to get a different guitar for the next song. This was all during a standing ovation.... the audience loved the new middle part and I think were really pulling for him, seeing what an emotional experience it was for him.
He did not comment on it further and went to a rock oriented tune next.

My question...did anyone else hear this version or some similar version of Moss? I suppose I'm also a little curious about who it was that affected him so...Cathy Coonley perhaps? Minor, personal point, doesn't really matter.

But the odd thing is, I never saw him return to that song live or on CD...saw at least a dozen concerts after...and then somewhere recently, I think he mentioned the song was "historically inaccurate"...whatever that meant.

Hmmm...as a fellow Romantic, it seems to me, that it was simply too sensitive a nerve, an emotion to ever touch again, so he never did.

Anybody else remember this version of Spanish Moss or anything similar regarding this song?
irish47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 11:23 AM   #2
Shipwrecked_00s

I was wondering if anyone recalls if they had a similar concert experience with Spanish Moss.
It was early to mid 80s, Gord had just done a couple concerts in the Boca Raton/Ft. Lauderdale area (FL), his next stop was in Wallingford, CT and of course, I was there. I had heard him do Spanish Moss several times before, with no special comment and very much as the recording. But, that was the last time I ever heard him do that song in concert. Also, it's not on the Box Set, not on the newest Greatest Hits. I think most of us would agree, it's one of his best, most under-rated...great melody, great chord progressions, great words that flow...

But at this concert in CT, before the song, he spent about a minute emphatically telling the audience that the Press was wrong, that he COULD do this song without 'breaking down' (ie, tears) and something to the effect, that he didn't know where these 'rumors' came from. I don't think many, if anyone knew what he was talking about regarding the Press...this was still well before Al Gore invented the internet and the local papers would only write after a show, if that.

So he launches into the song, it goes as usual, in very good voice....until the middle part where the instrumental is on the record. In place of the instrumental, he spoke a short, very impassioned verse... all I can remember is that it contained:

....totally catching the audience off-guard with it. He finished the song as usual, he DID get through it...but you could see him shake his head vigorously (as was his fashion sometimes), taking deep breaths and looking quite relieved as he turned and went to get a different guitar for the next song. This was all during a standing ovation.... the audience loved the new middle part and I think were really pulling for him, seeing what an emotional experience it was for him.
He did not comment on it further and went to a rock oriented tune next.

My question...did anyone else hear this version or some similar version of Moss? I suppose I'm also a little curious about who it was that affected him so...Cathy Coonley perhaps? Minor, personal point, doesn't really matter.

But the odd thing is, I never saw him return to that song live or on CD...saw at least a dozen concerts after...and then somewhere recently, I think he mentioned the song was "historically inaccurate"...whatever that meant.

Hmmm...as a fellow Romantic, it seems to me, that it was simply too sensitive a nerve, an emotion to ever touch again, so he never did.

Anybody else remember this version of Spanish Moss or anything similar regarding this song?
Shipwrecked_00s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 03:00 PM   #3
joveski

he did it on the Folkworks WNEW Folkfest in 1987. it was the first song he played and he seems to get through it fine..
it sounds very similar to the tracks of gords gold 2
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 04:26 PM   #4
Alberta

He performed "Spanish Moss" in 1997 at the Orillia Opera House when they dedicated the auditorium to him. He actually did a medley of Spanish Moss and Ghosts of Cape Horn. Very cool.

Alberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 04:26 PM   #5
Kenyon

He performed "Spanish Moss" in 1997 at the Orillia Opera House when they dedicated the auditorium to him. He actually did a medley of Spanish Moss and Ghosts of Cape Horn. Very cool.

Kenyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 07:57 PM   #6
2Much2Lose

quote:Originally posted by Shipwrecked_00s:
I was wondering if anyone recalls if they had a similar concert experience with Spanish Moss. ....

....totally catching the audience off-guard with it.

I was at that concert Tom, and must say I'd forgotten all about that! I remember it now with that mental nudge from you. It was the only time I'd heard him say that line, although I have heard him sing Spanish Moss a few times in concert since. Like you and most of the audience members, i didn't have a clue what he was talking about with the breaking down. I think around that time period Parade Magazine had an article about GL that mentioned the concert in Saratoga that he got emotional during, so I wasn't clueless for too long.
I miss the old Oakdale Theater, I miss watching the stage go round and round, and above all I miss going to see Gord on a warm summers evening as I did yearly since 1971.

Thanks for bringing this up again, I enjoyed the trip down memory lane.
jenney
2Much2Lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 07:57 PM   #7
Jenney

quote:Originally posted by Shipwrecked_00s:
I was wondering if anyone recalls if they had a similar concert experience with Spanish Moss. ....

....totally catching the audience off-guard with it.

I was at that concert Tom, and must say I'd forgotten all about that! I remember it now with that mental nudge from you. It was the only time I'd heard him say that line, although I have heard him sing Spanish Moss a few times in concert since. Like you and most of the audience members, i didn't have a clue what he was talking about with the breaking down. I think around that time period Parade Magazine had an article about GL that mentioned the concert in Saratoga that he got emotional during, so I wasn't clueless for too long.
I miss the old Oakdale Theater, I miss watching the stage go round and round, and above all I miss going to see Gord on a warm summers evening as I did yearly since 1971.

Thanks for bringing this up again, I enjoyed the trip down memory lane.
jenney
Jenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 09:45 PM   #8
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

You, know, in March, 1995 at the Star Theater in Merriville, IN, Gord was doing the thing where he would sit on a bench for 5 or 6 songs during the 2nd half of the night. Someone called out if he would do "I'm Not Supposed to Care". He said he'd give it a try, but was not sure if he could go all the way through. He made it about 3/4 of the way through the song and said "I'm sorry...that's it...." I's amazing how you can carry that weight with you in a strange surrounding.
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 09:45 PM   #9
Rob1956

You, know, in March, 1995 at the Star Theater in Merriville, IN, Gord was doing the thing where he would sit on a bench for 5 or 6 songs during the 2nd half of the night. Someone called out if he would do "I'm Not Supposed to Care". He said he'd give it a try, but was not sure if he could go all the way through. He made it about 3/4 of the way through the song and said "I'm sorry...that's it...." I's amazing how you can carry that weight with you in a strange surrounding.
Rob1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 07:56 PM   #10
Borderstone

I'd almost forgotten but back in the 70's GL appeared on the Midnight Special TV show and sang this song and/or I'm Not Supposed
To Care. I could be wrong but I really believe he was shedding tears during the perfomance so perhaps as others have said this subject still haunts him. All of us can relate to that on some level and that's what makes his music so special.
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 07:56 PM   #11
southern_gl_fan

I'd almost forgotten but back in the 70's GL appeared on the Midnight Special TV show and sang this song and/or I'm Not Supposed
To Care. I could be wrong but I really believe he was shedding tears during the perfomance so perhaps as others have said this subject still haunts him. All of us can relate to that on some level and that's what makes his music so special.
southern_gl_fan is offline   Reply With Quote