banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 01-28-2014, 12:06 AM   #1
charlene

Default The BLACKLIST-SUNDOWN

The Blacklist with James Spader had SUNDOWN playing at the end of tonight's episode...awesome!
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 12:08 AM   #2
Kelly Davis

Default Sundown on 'The Black List'

Was watching the end of 'The Black List' on NBC tonight.

"Sundown" was featured prominently at the end.

Gordon made a little extra cash tonight, I suppose. (Way to go, Gord !!)

It sounds great on t.v. !!!!!

Kelly Davis
Kelly Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 12:37 AM   #3
charlene

Default Re: The BLACKLIST-SUNDOWN

I'll scout around online to see if I can find a video..if not I'll just videotape the tv.lol
Old 01-28-2014, 01:39 AM   #4
Melissa

This was already my favorite TV show because of James Spader, now it's my favorite because the producers (or writers or somebody), obviously, have excellent taste in music!

It would be very interesting to find out how that came about. I had always heard (don't remember the source) that Gord was not interested in having any of his songs in commercials, TV shows or movies, but that he'd been approached many times. That's one of the reasons I almost fell off the couch when those opening "Sundown" chords started at the end of "The Blacklist" tonight! I'll definitely be watching that episode a few times. Will probably even buy it! Wow, even more royalties for Gord! Excellent!

Melissa
Melissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 07:59 AM   #5
Dave, Melbourne,Australia

In Aug2009, I posted:
This Saturday's episode of the Australian travel series "The Great Outdoors" featured houseboat holidays around the world. During a segment on Canadian houseboat holidays, we heard an instrumental part of "Sundown" followed by about half of "Carefree Highway" sung by Gord.
Dave, Melbourne,Australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 10:56 AM   #6
charlene

Old 01-28-2014, 11:51 AM   #7
niffer

I have never watched The Blacklist. What was the context of the song? Was it background music, or part of the story somehow?
niffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 11:55 AM   #8
charlene

It was background music but lyrically suited to the ending...and he was playing it on a turntable - it wasn't just in the background-He actually intentionally played it while he did what he did...(not how Lightfoot intended it about a girlfriend stepping out on him tho) but about betrayal of another sort.. I LOVE James Spader and this show is amazing...
Old 01-28-2014, 12:06 PM   #9
charlene

at 43 minutes: hope you can see it.. http://www.zzstream.li/2014/01/the-b...us-agency.html

http://www.zzstream.li/2014/01/the-b...us-agency.html

U.S. viewers: http://www.tvfanatic.com/2014/01/the...ode-13-online/
Old 01-28-2014, 12:08 PM   #10
Auburn Annie

His music has been associated with a few TV shows. IIRC If You Could Read My Mind played at the end of an episode of Cold Case - that show had the best mix of storyline and period music ever.

Just looked it up - season 3, episode 8, "HONOUR" The synopsis: A pair of POW tags are discovered in an abandoned drug den, leading Rush and the team to re-examine the 1972 shooting of a Vietnam veteran. They discover his wife had been having an affair while he was fighting in the conflict, and her lover becomes their prime suspect - but more sinister motives soon rise to the surface.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 12:43 PM   #11
niffer

We have a Primetime On Demand channel with our cable package. I will definitely have to check it out
niffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 01:49 PM   #12
charlene

http://www.nbc.com/the-blacklist/
Old 01-28-2014, 03:14 PM   #13
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auburn Annie View Post
If You Could Read My Mind played at the end of an episode of Cold Case - that show had the best mix of storyline and period music ever.
yeah, i dont watch much non-music/non-docs/non-sports but i've seen this a bit (wife pvr's it) and seems to be done pretty nicely... that blonde lead gal needs to eat a few cheeseburgers....
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 05:51 AM   #14
Dave, Melbourne,Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auburn Annie View Post
His music has been associated with a few TV shows.
In Nov2010 I posted:
"I'm Not Supposed To Care" was used on an episode of the 1970s series "James at 15".
Dave, Melbourne,Australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 11:20 PM   #15
Rob1956

I also recall "Race Among The Ruins" on James at 15 as well.
Sundown jibed perfectly when Spader shot the woman who was wearing a satin nightgown or dressing gown and slumped back in her chair. "I can see her lying back in a satin dress" was synced up nicely with that image.
Rob1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 11:13 AM   #16
charlene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7mztM8qaeM
Old 06-25-2015, 09:11 AM   #17
charlene

a clip below starts after the shooting and when Red puts the needle on the album to play SUNDOWN.. ..the whole episode was at: (a full storyline of the ep is at the link) http://www.nbc.com/the-blacklist/epi...rus-agency/113

Meanwhile, Red blasts a Gordon Lightfoot song in Diane Fowler's living room, an invitation to a confrontation. Fowler claims she acted in the interest of his protection, and "they" came into the Post Office to make a point. Saying, "you talk too much," Red shoots her. He has an agreement with Fitch, not her. She offers to tell him the truth about what happened to his family - which Red wants to know more than anything. But if Diane knows the truth, then someone else does too. Blam, blam, blam. Three shots, Diane Fowler is dead. It's not long before Mr. Kaplan arrives to clean up.

Old 07-16-2015, 08:21 AM   #18
charlene

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2015/...st-soundtrack/ ALBUM with SUNDOWN and other music on the show to be released.

Any fan of “The Blacklist” will tell you how important the music is to the success of the show. The producers seem to find the perfect songs to fit so many crucial moments, and music montages seem to conclude almost every important episode and tie up what every character is doing.

Beyond that, certain songs have influenced some of creator and executive producer Jon Bokenkamp’s storytelling choices – and even character names. Bokenkamp and the show’s music director, John Bissell, shared with Speakeasy an inside look at the show’s musical choices, which will be showcased on “The Blacklist: Music from the Television Series.”

The album, set for an Aug. 21 release, includes a mix of well-known songs such as “Beyond the Sea” by Bobby Darin and “Sundown” by Gordon Lightfoot, as well as several more obscure titles such as “Run from Me” by Timber Timbre and “Welcome Home” by Radical Face. The album also contains a never-before-released, slowed-down version of Dolly Parton’s hit “Jolene,” that caused quite a buzz when it was first played on “The Blacklist” late in season one.

Bokenkamp fell in love with the slower version of “Jolene” after hearing it on YouTube. He quickly named one of the characters on the show “Jolene Parker,” and knew the song would be perfect for the big reveal where Jolene is shown to be an undercover secret agent.

“She was named something else but we quickly changed her name,” Bokenkamp said. “I remember thinking it will really make it look like we know what we are doing if this character that we have known as Jolene for the past four episodes has this big reveal and we use this weird, haunting Dolly Parton song.”

Bissell added, “The label thought we were nuts. They were going to deny us outright and not let us use this slowed-down version of the song. But it was Dolly, and her management thought it was a great idea and allowed us to use it.”

Bokenkamp also recalled the first time he heard the song “Run from Me” by Timber Timbre, which ended up influencing the story of an episode called “The Kenyon Family.” In that one, Liz Keen (Megan Boone) is chased around the woods by a creepy giant of a man.

“We had been talking about an episode where we would have some weirdos in the woods and I heard this song and I was like, ‘Wow, that’s it!’” Bokenkamp said. “The episode began to be constructed around this song which says, ‘Run from me, darlin’.”

Bokenkamp admits he is musically ignorant to some extent. The executive producer didn’t even know who Gordon Lightfoot was until Lightfoot’s classic song “Sundown” was chosen for a key moment late in season one. Yet he describes Bissell – who has worked as musical supervisor for a variety of shows and films, such as “The Hurt Locker” and “The Bridge” — as a veritable library of musical knowledge.

Bissell, who became a Hollywood music supervisor 20 years ago when he realized he didn’t have the temperament to be a director, said he is constantly listening to music for the show – except in one specific setting. “The car is my ‘peace spot,’” he said, adding that he prefers listening to music on a turntable, not a digital music player.

Bokenkamp, meanwhile, also offered a preview of the coming season, which is scheduled to start filming in about a week and a half. The scripts aren’t coming together quite as quickly in the past because, “the first 10 or 12 episodes are a real paradigm shift,” the executive producer said. “We kind of blew up the format. It’s not like Red sits down on a park bench with Liz and says ‘Here’s the Blacklister that I want you to go catch.’ That’s not what the show is when we come back. They are on the run and they are fugitives.”

Even though Liz isn’t part of the FBI anymore, the show will still target a different member of the Blacklist each week, he added. Could Liz still call Aram and ask for help with tricky computer problems? “She can try, but the FBI team is looking for her in a very serious way,” Bokenkamp said. “She is a fugitive.”

Fans will also learn more about Raymond Reddington (James Spader) in season three. “As an audience member, I want to know how Red does this stuff. How does it work? Who is this guy?” Bokenkamp said. “So Liz becomes our eyes and ears into Red’s world.”

“The Blacklist” season three is scheduled to premiere Sept. 24.

Here is the track list for “The Blacklist: Music from the Television Series”:

1. “Citizens” by Alice Russell
2. “Welcome Home” by Radical Face
3. “Wicked Game” by Emika
4. “Beyond the Sea” by Bobby Darin
5. “Major Tom” by Peter Schilling
6. “Sundown” by Gordon Lightfoot
7. “Made of Stone” by Matt Corby
8. “Angel of Small Death and the Codeine Scene” by Hozier
9. “Blood on My Name” by The Brothers Bright
10. “Jolene (Slowdown)” by Dolly Parton
11. “Black Eunuch” by Algiers
12. “Run from Me” by Timber Timbre
Old 09-29-2016, 11:44 PM   #19
charlene

Last night it was IYCRMM - clip is embedded in their Facebook page... (they are doing a doc on fans of Gordon Lightfoot and his music - WEBSITE @ http://www.lightheaded.org/ )

VIDEO @ https://www.facebook.com/heartandseo...6164398369758/