banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 07-28-2008, 01:42 AM   #26
Nightingale

Default Re: Which G.L. Songs Make You Smile And Sing Along?

Hi TimeTraveler,
I think we have the same taste in music...lol. Those are all my favorite 'sing along' songs too

Jeffyio, You sing LOUDLY....lol. Dream Street Rose is a great song, love that one and I don't know why it isn't on my list. Gordon has so many great songs that it's hard to remember them all.

Char, you finally got back from vacation Lucky girl!
Haven't heard Drifters yet. No doubt, I will like it
into the broad ocean..."

G. Lightfoot "Tattoo"
Nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 10:01 AM   #27
charlene

you'll love Drifters..

been home from Florida for a month but will be off to Nova Scotia on the 8th of Aug.

charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 12:35 PM   #28
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy

Nightengale, Val Magee designed and hosts the site.
As far as the finger picking goes, I've been doing it for a very long time, and it's actually easier for me to do than holding on to a pick is. I have trouble with that, and usually buy picks that have a thin piece of cork glued to the back.

Cathy
Old 07-29-2008, 01:34 AM   #29
Nightingale

Char,
Nova Scotia sounds very exotic to a girl from Indiana...lol. Hope you have a great time.

Cathy, whatever you do, just keep doin' it...lol. Sounds good!
My hats off to Val for her work on your site. She does a nice job with it.
into the broad ocean..."

G. Lightfoot "Tattoo"
Old 07-29-2008, 05:17 AM   #30
Martyn Miles

' Too Much to Lose ' from Songbook. I love to sing along to that one.
Martyn Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 08:33 AM   #31
geodeticman.5

NOVA SCOTIA MAPPER'S BORING SHOP TALK ABOUT A CALL FROM ALLSTATE POST

Char - I hope you did have a good trip to Nova Scotia - sorry I bothered you when you were oot and aboot .

Warning - this post contains non-sequiter random thoughts and only remotely has anything to do with Nova Scotia and hence little to none to do with the thread - so
its ok to skip right on over....if trivia and a little map thinking is fascinating to you read away..... LOL I've just had too much caffeine......(Jangle eeeerrr aaaaaahhhg zzZapp!)

Note - one last chance - he** i just read it and i skipped it....

Just thought I'd warn you. This... is how strange cartographers think sometimes....begging the pardon of the 4 or so other mappers in corfid.

OK, so the other day ( on the way to the forum...)LOL, I am at my desk pretending to do something important, when in fact I am just about to log into corfid, when (allegedly) ALLSTATE calls. the gist: "Hello this is Joe sajflfjl (muffled last name so you'll never remember) calling FOR Allstate, I notice your next monthly payment is coming up due and just wondered if you would like a free month of blabberyblabbeyblabberty(not letting me get a word in edgewise like NOOOOOO)....so on so on,,,,,,,then.....

having worked in a phone sales room when I was eighteen and was a starving young handsome man with dreams and ideals but quickly sold out so I could eat by calling people and doing what he was doing on the phone.(j/k I did not sell out - I actually confronted them on the alleged "magic show tickets for handicapped children to the high school auditorium" - when i realized they could not fit over 4000 tickets sold in an auditorium with seating for 900 - I called the school... confronted my boss, and got fired

the next day even though I had star sales and was promoted to sales mgr in 3 weeks.....so ignorant i was what a schmuck,,,,anyway) - THEN..... I said "hold on a second... what is your name again.... can you spell that..and you are "with" Allstate, or you are calling "for" them - which is it ? - blabberty blabberty... WAIT... "OK you are not with allstate. you don't even know when my next bill is. And you want to sell me one free month of autoclub ? I allready am

*Cliff notes highlight here down is the mappy stuff alittle:

a member of the roadside autoclub..... you idiots....(i thought) - heres the mapper stuff - i asked "what time did you say it was there where you are ?" for no intelligent reason.... and Joe a;sogha;uh responded ( a time that was three hours later than here in mtn std in colorado) and I said...wait a minute..... that would put you in....lesseee here... threee hours times 15 degrees longitude per hour on the map... 45 degrees or so east of me.... did you say you wer up north or down south (trick question a hahah) and he said -oh uhmm i am sorta up north... and i said "aha ! that means, by virtue of what HAS TO BE ATLANTIC TIMEZONE, VERY FEW PLACES ARE IN ATLANTIC ZONE ON THE MAINLAND" - not ENTIRELY true, but he swallowed and said OKEEEEE, I continued -

so if you are in ATLANTIC TIME,, and YOU ARE UP NORTH..... mmmm you've almost got to be in the maritime provinces like say Newfoundland or Nova Scotia, right ? AAnd ALLSTATE does not mail me from there ! ha ! - and he said, deflated "OK you're right - I am actually calling from Nova Scotia, and I do not work for Allstate. We are a phone room like you asked, and

* Cliff notes highlight again - the only mappy talk ends here the rest is total drivel....

are selling upgrades to your Allstate policy for platinum roadside service. I then realized, OK i don't want to be an a**ho**, so i said "OK... but you don't have access to my account if you are not with Allstate right? Soooooo how can you upgrade for free what I already have...?" . He said he'd have to call back. Schyeaaa, and monkeys 'll fly out of my...."

So I tried to ease up more on him, and said " Look, I used to have to do similar to what you are doing... I know its tough. But tell people up front who you are an employee of..... because the phonerooms are largely scams... did you know that even the legal ones get up to 90% of gross sales from whomever hired them, including charitable causes sadly, and pure sales calls ?",- instead of the magic show tickets, or in his case - the net cost of the allstate road club upgrade, and 10% commonly is whats left GROSS to go to the "policemans memorial fund" or what have you.

* Cliff notes - geo steve here gets the dodge from HIS OWN INSURANCE AGENT....

Of course there are far more legit ones, but even police now are saying do not give money to the police over the phone.....Well, I asked my agent about it, and he said - its a scam by (company name that is 3 letters long all the same letter and its not the last... letter of the alphabet...ahem... aaahemmmm) they hired a phone room in Canada (I said "actually, Bob, - its in the maritime provinces - thats about 45 degrees east of us you know Bob...)" . He eyes possible exits, shoots his cuff to check his watch, and says "Uhm say Steve, I have to call a guy right back/go to lunch/theres a fire/gotta go/ just dont give em money you are in our road club allready....."

*Cliff notes: after Steve gets blown off, he figures out a tuff one to guess, but....
Highlight for attentive readers - a little more mappy stuff, and historical Scottish stuff,
a wee bit lad, and maybe a little bit morrrrre

Somehow, I was sensing inately, being fortunate enough to have discerning social interpretive skills of body language and quite often for some reason - signs of boredom....subtly, that he did not wish to talk about the geography of the Maritime Provinces and HOW I KNEW THEY HAD TO BE UP THERE OUT IN THE RAGING ATLANTIC COAST NORTHEAST OF HUDSONS BAY AND IN NOVA SCOTIA THAT MEANS NEW SCOTLAND THAT IS WHERE MY GRANDFATHER CAME FROM AND I HAVE RED HAIR COMING IN UP FRONT ON MY HEAD CAUSE MY GREAT-GREAT GRANDFATHER WAS FROM SCOTLAND AND THEY HAVE RED HAIR AND RUDDY BEARDS LIKE MINE,...AND DID YOU SEE BRAVEHEART AND SIR WILLIAM WALLACE / AND THERE IS A TOWN IN SCOTLAND ABOUT 28 MILES EASTERLY OF EDINBURGH NAMED AFTER MY FAMILYS LAST NAME AND THAT IS WHERE WE ARE FROM. AND WHAT? YOU SAID YOU HAVE TO GO OR THERE IS A FIRE OR ITS LUNCHTIME ? OK WELL I'LL CATCH UP WITH YOU NEXT TIME BOB WHEN YOU........(sound of door closing and then car driving away, me standing there like *I* had the app't, shot my cuff, looked at my watch, and clucked about the time and an app't... said good by to his staff and asked them if they knew of Nova Scotia.... LOL not everyone, sadly, is absolutely fascinated by maps, places,longitude and latitude, and forensic maply interrogation results...... lol....well at lest no one argued that my field should use the word geodesic not geodetic,or vice versa whichever i say first lol.....

*Cliff notes - end of any material you may be responsible for, and an attempt by the author to remember why in the he** he posted this.......

OK well then yes Nova Scotia thats up there, and hope you had a good trip Char, and
NightinGale I hope you get to go beyond the edge of the map of Indiana up to the Maritime Provinces - you know my great-great grandfather was from........ LOL

later ~geo Steve may the Lord help you if you read all that w/o pity
geodeticman.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 09:04 AM   #32
charlene

I'm heading to NS on Aug.8-20.. was in Florida in June..

There are lots of 'call centres' in the Maritimes..but many are being outsourced even further away-over to India etc.
Old 07-31-2008, 01:59 AM   #33
Nightingale

Hi Martyn,
Yes, Too Much To Lose....that's a good one to sing along with.

Welcome and I hope you enjoy the time you spend here with us.
into the broad ocean..."

G. Lightfoot "Tattoo"
Old 07-31-2008, 07:33 AM   #34
geodeticman.5

Char - I think its going to take me about 5 -6 different forms of msg to get the Nova Scotia trip distinguished properly from the Florida trip...lol . I did wonder why the call
centers were in the Maritimes, but then again - why not ? India , huh ? Thats going to
hurt the economy in the Maritimes. - sigh-

Martyn: yes, welcome ! Come on in, sit down, and have a spell ! The Martyn first name is recurrent in my Mother's side of the family history. I feel as though I know you..

SONGS THAT MAKES ME SMILE of GORD'S: ( & SING ALONG )n
* Hi'Way Songs - "to the blue Canadian sky I'll say a prayer for the world out
there..." & "When I'm here on my own sod, it feels so good to be home by God "

&* Cold On The Shoulder - that GREAT clippety-clop rhythm reminds me of great horse-
back riding trips in the Rockies with my wife - who was *much* more horse-wise
than I LOL.

~geo steve

p.s. sorry for the Nova Scotia Allstate blabberty-blabb post - another attempt at
humour. I like the theme of this thread and should stay on it.
Old 08-02-2008, 10:59 PM   #35
timetraveler

I'd say go ahead & give it a try. One of my other favourite tunes that I'm rather fond of is Mother Of A Miners Child. You can almost see the love he has for his wife & child in it, and how he would like things to be better for them, not to mention how much he seems to appreciate what his wife does for him. I suppose that it would qualify as a romantic sort of tune.
timetraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 09:00 PM   #36
mandoann

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
you'll love Drifters..

been home from Florida for a month but will be off to Nova Scotia on the 8th of Aug.

Char, I totally agree with you on Drifters; one of my favourite favourites!

I guess you'll be on your way to N.S. tomorrow; hope you have a great trip!

I have a song I don't thinks been mentioned: Dreamland. (I've been gradually adding CDs to my iPod that I hadn't heard since I palyed them on vinyl. I had just added Endless Wire for "If Children Had Wings", and was waiting for the train to the airport last Frday. Dreamland just blew me away, I just loved it so right away.)

Sweet Guinevere was a bonus too (my Mom was born in Pittsburgh P-A)!

There are so many songs that make me smile (and it's hard not to sing along with his songs) but this is just the latest one I rediscovered.

- if you meet him you will be/ the victim of his minstrelsy/ he'll sing for you a song

"You could wrap me around your finger"
mandoann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 10:01 PM   #37
charlene

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandoann View Post
Char, I totally agree with you on Drifters; one of my favourite favourites!

I guess you'll be on your way to N.S. tomorrow; hope you have a great trip!

I have a song I don't thinks been mentioned: Dreamland. (I've been gradually adding CDs to my iPod that I hadn't heard since I palyed them on vinyl. I had just added Endless Wire for "If Children Had Wings", and was waiting for the train to the airport last Frday. Dreamland just blew me away, I just loved it so right away.)

Sweet Guinevere was a bonus too (my Mom was born in Pittsburgh P-A)!

There are so many songs that make me smile (and it's hard not to sing along with his songs) but this is just the latest one I rediscovered.
Yep - I'm outta here at 4:30 p.m. on Friday..arriving in New Scotland at 7:30 (time difference down east) I'll be on-line and checking in..
y'all behave now..
Old 08-07-2008, 10:25 PM   #38
geodeticman.5

Char - I finally wrapped my head around this trip of yours versus upstate NY ! Have a great trip to "New Scotland"..... and yes -I love Drifters too.

best,
~geo steve