banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 10-30-2013, 08:46 PM   #1
charlene

Default Joliet, IL-Rialto Theatre-Oct.30-2013

Rick pics:
No, folks, it's not the Vatican. welcome to the front lobby of the Rialto Square Theater.-RH

Back to the Rialto in Joliet, IL, 5 years later. It was a lousy day to fly around here.We got diverted to Midway because the ceiling was too low to land here.So, we took a little ride down Route66 to get here.No sign of Jake and Elwood
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	No, folks, it's not the Vatican. welcome to the front lobby of the Rialto Square Theater.-RH.jpg
Views:	453
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	6423   Click image for larger version

Name:	Back to the Rialto in Joliet, IL, 5 years later. It was a lousy day to fly around here.We got di.jpg
Views:	455
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	6424  
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:42 PM   #2
redhead

Default Re: Joliet, IL-Rialto Theatre-Oct.30-2013

G.L. put on a very good show last night. He graciously thanked everyone for coming out on a Wednesday evening in such terrible weather, and performed the following songs:

Set List:

The Watchman’s Gone
Waiting for You
Don Quixote
I’d Rather Press On
A Painter Passing Through
Christian Island
Rainy Day People
Shadows
Beautiful
Carefree Highway
Cotton Jenny
Ribbon of Darkness
Sundown
Did She Mention My Name

Intermission

Sweet Guinevere
The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald
Never Too Close
All The Lovely Ladies
If Children Had Wings
Wild Strawberries
Let It Ride
Minstrel Of The Dawn
If You Could Read My Mind
Restless
Baby Step Back
Early Morning Rain
Song For A Winter’s Night

Encore: In My Fashion

As you can see from Rick's pic's, the theater was absolutely gorgeous and the acoustics were great too...although we had a bit of trouble catching what G.L. was saying at times, because he wasn't always speaking directly into the microphone.

Otherwise, it was another great performance by "The Man" and his exceptionally talented band.
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 05:17 AM   #3
paskatefan

Thanks for the review/playlist. Happy to see he sang "In My Fashion!" That's the first time I've noticed that he's done it as an encore.
paskatefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:20 AM   #4
imported_Ordinary_Man

Well, it happened to me again. Someone else posted the setlist before I got home.

So I will give the fashion report. You KNOW you want to hear what Gord was wearing.
Opening set, the Red jacket, black jeans and white boots. Second set, changed to black (or dark anyway) jacket with black boots and I guess the same jeans.

He introduced a song in the second set with this little gem that never gets old: "This next song is titled Meet Me By the Rockpile Honey and I'll get a Little Boulder."

Carter got several appreciative hands for solo work and stood near Gord for Sundown and Baby Step Back.

As usual, Gord in better voice for the second set. I thought I read earlier this year that Now and Then was in the mix and was hoping to hear it. (I was at the Davenport IA show earlier this year and he didn't do it there either). But I got All The Lovely Ladies and If Children Had Wings back to back so very happy with that.

Don't think I'd heard The Minstrel of The Dawn in years so that was nice. And since the show was getting late, I just KNEW that IYCRMM was gonna follow it.

Gord got a laugh with the "polka dot underwear" line in Wild Strawberries. Also got a chuckle when explaining the writing of Song for A Winter's Night during a summer thunderstorm in Cleveland. And a few folks finished Ribbon of Darkness before he slid into Sundown.

And I love that he's put Christian Island into the mix lately too. The first song I taught myself on the guitar a LONG time ago and a lovely song.

A rainy and blustery night in Joliet IL but warm and perfect inside the Rialto Theatre.

Steve
imported_Ordinary_Man is offline   Reply With Quote