banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 11-10-2006, 06:48 AM   #1
Jesse Joe

Photo: ALLEN MCINNIS, THE GAZETTE...

http://www.canada.com/montrealgazett...ea1005&k=18931

Strength in softness
With songs destined to outlive us all, Gordon Lightfoot strides into magic territory

Legendary Canadian singer-songwriter Gordon Lightfoot charms fans last night at Place des Arts.
Photograph by : ALLEN MCINNIS, THE GAZETTE
Article Tools
Printer friendly

BERNARD PERUSSE, The Gazette
Published: Friday, November 10, 2006

If there was one defining moment in last night's Gordon Lightfoot show at Salle Wilfrid Pelletier of Place des Arts, it came, surprisingly, in a lesser-known song.

Five songs into his second set, the fragile-looking but cheerful singer-songwriter glided unassumingly into A Painter Passing Through, the wistful title track from his 1998 album. It's a beautiful, delicate and sadly underrated song.

"Once upon a time, once upon a day/ When I was in my prime/ Once along the way," Lightfoot sang, establishing a wistful connection with his mostly-greying audience. With the chorus's self-effacing key line - "I am just a painter passing through the underground" - Lightfoot acknowledged the transience of his physical presence on stage.

It's a sobering reality for both Lightfoot, who would not have been with us last night if a life-threatening condition had its way four years ago, and his fans - who once strutted cockily like the song's protagonist.

But if Lightfoot was just passing through, his art was not, which made the song a celebration. And the romp through his seminal catalogue last night merely showed how many of his songs are destined to outlive us all.

Opening hesitantly with a one-two punch of Cotton Jenny and Carefree Highway, his thin voice betraying the punishment he's taken, Lightfoot didn't take long to relax. Standing ramrod straight and shifting between

six- and 12-string guitars, Lightfoot spent the evening alternating between songs that form part of Canadian folk music's DNA, like Beautiful, Ribbon of Darkness, Sundown and The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald and aficionado favourites like Sea of Tranquility, Never Too Close and In My Fashion.

A polite-sounding backup quartet - Terry Clements on lead guitar, Barry Keane on drums, Rick Haynes on bass and Mike Heffernan on keyboards - added a subtle polish to Lightfoot's easygoing, soothing approach in what might have been one of the softest Montreal concerts in some time.

His confidence and comfort level seeming to grow as the evening progressed, Lightfoot delivered the double whammy If You Could Read My Mind and Don Quixote late into the second set, by which point the concert had entered magic territory.

"Now comes the real test," he said, explaining that the high notes he was about to attempt were a risk. He then performed a soft, haunting, unhurried Canadian Railroad Trilogy that brought all but a few off-beat clappers to a hush.

The painter had passed. With flying colours.

[ November 10, 2006, 13:36: Message edited by: Jesse -Joe ]
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 08:41 AM   #2
charlene

The Master at work .. fabulous!

...onward to the nations capital - Ottawa!
Lightfoot for Prime Minister!
lol
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 08:59 AM   #3
Jesse Joe

This master has to lead the most fantastic life. We pretty much followed him all year 2006, it's as if we were in his entourage. lol

Lightfoot for Prime Minister? Im almost certain he wouldn't want the job...
Old 11-10-2006, 11:15 AM   #4
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Quote:
Originally posted by Jesse -Joe:

could anybody who was in attendance last night,come in Betty M your report is anxiously awaited, throw some light on a strange feature of that photo to which J-J omitted to add the caption/credit:-
"Legendary Canadian singer-songwriter Gordon Lightfoot charms fans last night at Place des Arts.
Photograph by : ALLEN MCINNIS, THE GAZETTE"
On Gord's chin is what may be a new small and dense mini beard, and if it were not for the shadow of a regular mic on his geetar,I would be certain that it is what looks to me like a head mounted near mouth microphone,which would presumably then be part of a headset with earphones replacing the usual wedge on the floor through which Gord could if he wished hear the other members of the "Orchestra".
I think I was told by somebody who would know that Gord alone in the band does not use a wedge at all.
(the other members wedges are individually fed with the sound from whichever other member(s) each individual requires for their own cueing purposes apparently).So just maybe this is a new addition to his personal concert equipment. No doubt I will be able to see for myself next week.

[ November 10, 2006, 10:30: Message edited by: johnfowles ]
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 12:29 PM   #5
brink-

Beautfiul article, fantastic picture. It is just such a relaxed and graceful pose. Lovely.

[ November 10, 2006, 19:21: Message edited by: brink- ]
brink- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 01:00 PM   #6
Gitchigumee

Wonderful, wonderful. Article and photo. I see in the photo he's holding his right hand. Anyone know how it's coming along?
"There was a time in this fair land when the railroad did not run. When the wild majestic mountains stood alone against the sun. Long before the white man, and long before the wheel. When the green dark forest was too silent to be real."
Gitchigumee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 08:12 AM   #7
imported_Next_Saturday

I could be wrong Sir John, but that just might be the shadow from the mic on the stand...
imported_Next_Saturday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 08:22 AM   #8
Peter Bro10

I'd like to echo Gitchigumee here... firstly about the artical and photo. good to see!
Secondly, any news on Gord's recovery from the Transient stroke? sounds like the effects are fading.

For those going to Massey Hall later this week, pleeeeease take pictures galore, maybe include a group shot outside Massey. I could kick myself for missing the opportunity to take a group shot of my group when we were outside the Paramount, Aurora IL show. It's a neat addition to your photo album alony with your ticket stub.

Hey JJ, did you notice the use of "aficionado"? yesterday I couldn't spell it and now I are one!!

Peter Bro10
Peter Bro10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 09:16 AM   #9
Jesse Joe

lol, No Im sorry to say, I did not see this yesterday...aficionado

[ November 13, 2006, 11:09: Message edited by: Jesse -Joe ]
Old 11-11-2006, 09:19 AM   #10
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

I sure hope that he decides to turn the volume back up soon. The last few shows have been a little toooo quiet for my old ears. And with the sing-alongers, the off-beat clappers and the bored chatters it sometimes makes it hard to hear the subtle stuff. But we'll keep coming back, of course.

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 12:08 PM   #11
Betty

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to post this sooner but my computer is on the fritz at home and I had to come to work to do this. And I just wrote the whole thing out and lost it....

Thursday night in Montreal was incredible and the concert was wonderful and absoutely magical.

The reflection in the picture above is only a reflection, he didn't have anything on his face because I couldn't take my eyes off from him and I was in the second row (thank you Bernie).

I got to meet Bernie Fiedler and he was so nice to me. I wanted to meet Barry but by the time I discovered who he was he was surrounded by people.

The Montreal audience was delighted to see Gord and he received at least 3 standing ovations as I recall. Gord said it had been at least 10 years since he had played there and he received a very warm welcome.

I got to go backstage after the concert (thank you Barry) and I met Gordon. What a thrill! There were lots of people waiting to talk with him so I didn't take up much of his time, but I presented him with a rose and a card and he graciously accepted.

I asked him for two things, his autograph on my Harmony CD liner and a picture with him, and I told him I have loved him forever! He obliged the autograph and picture and I will post the picture as soon as I can get back to a decent computer. (it is wonderful)

Also, he was wearing a wedding band (which if memory serves me correctly) he was not wearing in Burlington, VT in August.

His hand seemed fine and I think he played well. He seemed pleased with himself and everyone was pleased with him, that's for sure!

It was a magical night. And I just want to say how friendly, helpful and gracious everyone in Montreal was to us. I sure wish I could go to Toronto.

He did kid about not being able to sing some of the notes he used to, he was jovial, fun and wonderful! But I wouldn't expect anything less.

What a night. I will never forget it!
Old 11-11-2006, 02:59 PM   #12
musky_man

Thanks, Betty ... all good to hear.
Old 11-11-2006, 11:24 PM   #13
charlene

Thrilled to hear how well everything went for you Betty!
way to go!!!!!!!!
can't wait to see the pic!
Char
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 01:22 AM   #14
Paul Farnham

Send a message via Yahoo to Paul Farnham

I had the honor of meeting and chatting with the Gordster back in '02 when he performed in Williamsport, PA. He graciously signed my copies of Gord's Gold Volumes I and II. I'll tell you what boys & girls: I can't imagine that there's enough money on the planet to get me to let go of either one!
Paul Farnham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 02:38 AM   #15
Paul Farnham

Send a message via Yahoo to Paul Farnham

"try to see my side
it's not your ordinary pride
that keeps drivin' me on"
Paul Farnham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 10:59 AM   #16
Peter Bro10

I am very happy for you Betty. I can almost feel the excitment and adrenoline rush just reading your post! I like reading Corfidians "reviews" so much more than newspaper ones...
I have since seen the pic on the other post... excellent!!
Glad to hear you brought the rose.

Peter Bro10
Peter Bro10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 08:11 PM   #17
patybear

Great photo! Thanks for posting this,Jessie-Joe.
I'd have to agree with Next Saturday,Sir John.
It does look more like a shadow from the microphone than a beard.Just my humble opinion.
patybear
patybear is offline   Reply With Quote