banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 05-31-2018, 02:56 PM   #1
lighthead2toe

Default Classic Lightfoot Live

To hear live on stage that classic Lightfoot sound that one would hear in Massey Hall during the 70's when Gord played there, you would have heard it at the Midland Cultural Centre in the quaint little North Ontario town of Midland last Saturday night.

The "Classic Lightfoot Live" band with John Stinson vocalist on six and twelve string guitar, Eric Kidd on lead guitar and harmony, (both students of Red Shea, Gord's original lead guitarist) Steve Eyers, Gord's nephew on bass and harmony, Jimmy Jones, innovative keyboardist, and Malcolm Gould providing that subtle Barry Keane percussion sound complimented with a sharing of his unique "knee slapping" skill, this amazing group of highly dedicated Lightfoot sounding artists took the stage and delivered the goods.

With an early arrival I was lucky to connect with the guys as John likes to use my Gibson B45, 12 string on a few tunes which I gladly oblige.
We then met for a bite to eat before the show giving us an opportunity to share the good vibes that float around prior to a Classic Lightfoot live performance.

To a full house Classic Lightfoot Live provided a complete compliment of Gord's material including the hits of course but hearing "Too Much To Lose," a rare tune written for the movie, "Cool Hand Luke," and "Inspiration Lady," a later release and "Minstrel of the Dawn; now that's consideration that a Lightfoot audience really appreciates and was noticed by the elevated applause.

This part of Ontario is where the inspiration for many of the Lightfoot songs originated.
It's the Georgian Bay region and the preservation of this region is of major concern to many who appreciate just how precious this part of the country really is and they want to keep it that way.
Classic Lightfoot Live shares that sentiment so a spokesperson from from the Georgian Bay Great Lakes Foundation group was given the stage to make an appeal for support which was met with a huge round of applause. Highlighted in the appeal was the issue of invasive fish and erosion.

John extended an invitation for me to join him at his home next morning for a coffee before I got on the road for my trek back to Toronto which I gladly accepted and so happy that I did.
He was there with his lovely family to greet me and gave me a grand tour of the classic tongue and groove log home which John, together with the help of his family built with pride and dedication with their own hands.
You would need to see this piece of artistic structure in order to pick up on the full effect a work of fine art could have on any individual. I'm still riding on the high of being there just for a few hours.
On the front deck overlooking Georgian Bay with Christian Island in full view we sat, chatted, met neighbours (all Lightfoot fans) and basked in the warmth of the morning sun.
Now this could be my inspiration any day!

For Gordon Lightfoot fans who, like me thinks about and longs for a desire to go back into that nostalgic world of Lightfoot live sound from a foregone era, then I would highly recommend attending a "Classic Lightfoot Live" performance and you will achieve that experience.

So now it's on the road for me and, with a touch of sadness not wanting to leave, it can be a long way back home.
lighthead2toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 10:13 AM   #2
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles
Default Re: Classic Lightfoot Live

Like the man said it sounds like it was a Magnificent Outpouring

(where Sir does not signify that I am a fully benighted Knight just a Bt which signifies a humble Baronet -?? read the wiki!)
I meant no one no harm
Once inside we found a curious moonbeam
Doing dances on the floor

johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 05:11 PM   #3
lighthead2toe

On Aug 30th in the acoustically refined concert hall of the Charles W Stockey Theatre in the picturesque town of Parry Sound, Ontario, Classic Lightfoot Live made it happen "like it happened once before" and hopefully for many more times to come. Interest in attending a concert performance of this talented group is generating constantly.
Next gig is Sept 30th in St. Catherine's.

On a beautiful summer's afternoon upon arrival at the Parry Sound Bayside Inn I was greeted by a welcoming gentleman behind the desk who mentioned there were several folks who booked rooms to attend the concert that evening as well. All very promising.

A short walk down the street passing by the well "cared 4" homes and gardens is the "Stockey" (as it's referred to) Theatre which also houses the "Bobby Orr Hall of Fame."
Parry Sound is the hometown of NHL hockey legend Bobby Orr.
Charles W Stockey was a generous financial contributor to the construction costs of having the theatre built, hence the naming.

At the time of my arrival backstage the band was in the midst of their soundcheck.
Lead singer, John Stinson likes the sound of my Gibson B45 twelve string guitar in select Lightfoot songs so it was delivered well intoned and placed in it's respective guitar stand.
It's a treat for me to be seated in the hall and listen to that instrument being played, especially by one who knows how to use it, and the added compliment of the full sounding Gordon Lightfoot like orchestra puts an extra layer of icing on the cake.

A very welcomed request came my way to be MC for this concert and what a delightful surprise that was. It had not entered my mind but was indeed a wonderful honour as well as a new experience for me and one which I thoroughly enjoyed.

As was expected the band put on an extraordinary performance to a full house and the extended applause and standing ovations evidenced all that very prominently.

The songs were interspersed with most interesting stories by the band members highlighting events leading up to the song. It was a well thought out and well coordinated show.

During the intermission, Mary Muter, spokesperson for the Georgian Bay Great Lakes Foundation gave a most interesting and up to date address regarding matters of grave concern for the Foundation.
The region is facing major challenges dealing with invasive species which require complex solutions involving government agencies as well as local communities. Classic Lightfoot Live is totally in support of this very dedicated and worthwhile organization. The inspiration for many Gordon Lightfoot songs originated here in this region.

With the intermission done the second half is well underway and the band is on fire! The songs are rolling out there in flawless fashion; Minstrel of the Dawn, Beautiful, Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald working it's way to Canadian Railroad Trilogy to finish the set. Then of course the applause kicks in, standing ovation and the encore, Talking in your Sleep and finishing off with Cotton Jenny. An amazing concert it was!
Now it's back to the green room for the crew to unwind with a nightcap and fond farewell to each other with sights on the next Classic Lightfoot Live performance.

On with the Summertime Dream before the autumn wind goes whistlin'.

Last edited by lighthead2toe; 09-06-2018 at 10:55 AM.
Old 09-03-2018, 06:56 PM   #4
charlene

sounds like a magical time for everyone.. seeing the Stinson abode would be a great treat for sure!!
I am hoping to get to a show so will be in touch RJ! (Bowmanville was Aug.31 ! - I missed it thinking it was for end of September! damn!

https://www.facebook.com/pg/GordonLi...teBand/events/
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 10:30 AM   #5
lighthead2toe

Hey Char.
You can "tag along" for the St. Catherine's gig. Pretty sure I'll be going. Having a connection with this group makes me feel like a brand new man.