banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 05-23-2005, 09:21 AM   #1
delron

Hi everyone,
I'm Gunter, a newcomer to this board from Sydney /Australia. I have been consciously listening to Gordon Lightfoot since 1977, when the "Edmund Fitzgerald" song captured my attention. My first aquisition was the Gord's Gold double LP album and I'm about to complete my collection of officially released Gordon Lightfoot albums.
One of my recently discovered treasures of Gordon Lightfoot rarities is the song "My Love For You" from the "Harry Tracy" movie. I recently ordered this as a DVD when I saw to my amazement, that this movie features Gordon Lightfoot in an acting roll. All the more astonished I was when this unmistakable Gordon Lightfoot song was played, that I had never heard before. I was smitten with this song from the first listening and have done some research about it at the 2 big GL web sites.
First mystery : A tune so unmistably sounding like Gordon, with lyrics also so unmistakably from him - was composed by somebody else ! A mysterious Mr Les Pouliot, another song of whom Gordon sang on an obscure song compilation called "Early Lightfoot" . This song called "Negotiations" I have never heard. Anybody got any idea about who this Mr Les Pouliot is ?
Second mystery : This film is from 1983 (I think), but this song is featured in the set list for a 1978 concert in Los Angeles (22nd of August 1978). Anybody knows since when Gordon had this song in his repertoire, or when he actually recorded the studio version appearing in the Harry Tracy movie ?
Third (and biggest) mystery : Why is a beautiful song like this not officially released on any album ? The sound quality of this Australian Release of this movie is really bad, like somebody used an old VHS copy of the movie and used this for the transfer to DVD and along the way encountered some technical problems. Are there any high quality DVD releases of this movie available ? I conclude this post with the lyrics of this stunning song.

My love for you is as wild and true as the wind o'er the sea
On winter nights so bleak and cold, it always will remain
On summer eves, when the breeze whispers your name
Like a star of this I'll be singing
Oh with you I will spend every evening
And my love like the light above shall shine eternally
At the end of time, you'll still be mine
And I'll be here with thee

My love for you is as wild and true as the wind o'er the tide
As it travels 'round this whole wide world it gathers seeds of love
Through desert sands, through snow and ice and high up above
It gathers all the thoughts of lonely couples
Until the cup of love overbubbles

And with a song it carries on through the skies of blue
At the end of time, you'll still be mine and I'll be here with you

Oh if you ever spend every evening

At the end of time, you'll still be mine and I'll be here with thee
delron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 09:21 AM   #2
Gunter

Hi everyone,
I'm Gunter, a newcomer to this board from Sydney /Australia. I have been consciously listening to Gordon Lightfoot since 1977, when the "Edmund Fitzgerald" song captured my attention. My first aquisition was the Gord's Gold double LP album and I'm about to complete my collection of officially released Gordon Lightfoot albums.
One of my recently discovered treasures of Gordon Lightfoot rarities is the song "My Love For You" from the "Harry Tracy" movie. I recently ordered this as a DVD when I saw to my amazement, that this movie features Gordon Lightfoot in an acting roll. All the more astonished I was when this unmistakable Gordon Lightfoot song was played, that I had never heard before. I was smitten with this song from the first listening and have done some research about it at the 2 big GL web sites.
First mystery : A tune so unmistably sounding like Gordon, with lyrics also so unmistakably from him - was composed by somebody else ! A mysterious Mr Les Pouliot, another song of whom Gordon sang on an obscure song compilation called "Early Lightfoot" . This song called "Negotiations" I have never heard. Anybody got any idea about who this Mr Les Pouliot is ?
Second mystery : This film is from 1983 (I think), but this song is featured in the set list for a 1978 concert in Los Angeles (22nd of August 1978). Anybody knows since when Gordon had this song in his repertoire, or when he actually recorded the studio version appearing in the Harry Tracy movie ?
Third (and biggest) mystery : Why is a beautiful song like this not officially released on any album ? The sound quality of this Australian Release of this movie is really bad, like somebody used an old VHS copy of the movie and used this for the transfer to DVD and along the way encountered some technical problems. Are there any high quality DVD releases of this movie available ? I conclude this post with the lyrics of this stunning song.

Gunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 09:36 AM   #3
Auburn Annie

See http://www.lightfoot.ca/redlestri.htm for more on this song and Les Pouliot.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 09:36 AM   #4
Auburn Annie

See http://www.lightfoot.ca/redlestri.htm for more on this song and Les Pouliot.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 10:02 AM   #5
delron

thank you for this very interesting link ! This answers 2 of my 3 questions.
Old 05-23-2005, 10:02 AM   #6
Gunter

thank you for this very interesting link ! This answers 2 of my 3 questions.
Old 05-23-2005, 10:26 AM   #7
<Reminder>

I also found this tune to be beautiful.
As far as sound quality, my DVD version seems okay, but I'm not sure what standard you're applying. Perhaps you could share who the distributor was ; Mine is from "Platinum", whoever they are.

RMD

Quote:
Originally posted by Gunter:
Hi everyone,

Old 05-23-2005, 10:26 AM   #8
<Reminder>

I also found this tune to be beautiful.
As far as sound quality, my DVD version seems okay, but I'm not sure what standard you're applying. Perhaps you could share who the distributor was ; Mine is from "Platinum", whoever they are.

RMD

Quote:
Hi everyone,

Old 05-23-2005, 03:00 PM   #9
Steele's Tavern

I have the orginal 1983 Vestron version on VHS which is really starting to go. Luckilly, I made a copy.

BTW, ther song is from 1980, not 1983. Harry Tracy was released in 1981, even though it was almost entirely filmed in 1980.
Steele's Tavern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 03:00 PM   #10
Diggerboy91

I have the orginal 1983 Vestron version on VHS which is really starting to go. Luckilly, I made a copy.

BTW, ther song is from 1980, not 1983. Harry Tracy was released in 1981, even though it was almost entirely filmed in 1980.
Diggerboy91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 03:04 PM   #11
Steele's Tavern

I have the original 1983 Vestron version on VHS, which is pretty rough and is really starting to go. Luckilly I made a copy.

BTW, My love for You is from 1980, not 1983. (Harry Tracy was released in 1981, even though it was mostly filmed in '80.) In a 1980 interview with Gord he said the filmmakers saw him play the song on the piano, so they decided to have him record it for the movie.
Old 05-23-2005, 03:04 PM   #12
Diggerboy91

I have the original 1983 Vestron version on VHS, which is pretty rough and is really starting to go. Luckilly I made a copy.

BTW, My love for You is from 1980, not 1983. (Harry Tracy was released in 1981, even though it was mostly filmed in '80.) In a 1980 interview with Gord he said the filmmakers saw him play the song on the piano, so they decided to have him record it for the movie.
Old 05-23-2005, 09:20 PM   #13
Borderstone

Gunter,I recently (almost a year ago)acquired a DVD copy of said "Harry Tracy" movie. I've only watched it once since I don't want to wear it out. (DVD's get ruined too.)

I love the song too despite the fact that it makes me cry. Big grown man like me! Then again,I dedicated it to a woman I'm no longer seeing. I have the song but it's recoreded from the DVD. I hope someday it's out on a CD.

Welcome by the way!
Old 05-24-2005, 07:46 AM   #14
delron

My version of the Harry Tracy DVD is an Australian region free release in PAL format, by a company called Force Video. I could imagine that the degradation in sound might be a result of the conversion from the original NTSC format and would like to ask, whether somebody could provide me with a DVD-R copy of an NTSC version, to test this theory. (I feel it is ok for me to ask for this, since I bought this DVD already)

With the contribution about Gordon saying in an interview that the film crew saw him play this song on the piano :
Is it possible, that we hear Gordon himself play this haunting piano accompaniment on this track ?
If yes, is this the only example of Gordon playing the piano on a studio production ?
Old 05-24-2005, 07:46 AM   #15
Gunter

My version of the Harry Tracy DVD is an Australian region free release in PAL format, by a company called Force Video. I could imagine that the degradation in sound might be a result of the conversion from the original NTSC format and would like to ask, whether somebody could provide me with a DVD-R copy of an NTSC version, to test this theory. (I feel it is ok for me to ask for this, since I bought this DVD already)

With the contribution about Gordon saying in an interview that the film crew saw him play this song on the piano :
Is it possible, that we hear Gordon himself play this haunting piano accompaniment on this track ?
If yes, is this the only example of Gordon playing the piano on a studio production ?
Old 05-24-2005, 09:49 AM   #16
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Quote:
My version of the Harry Tracy DVD is an Australian region free release in PAL format, by a company called Force Video. I could imagine that the degradation in sound might be a result of the conversion from the original NTSC format
I see that Gunter is concerned that his PAL converted DVD might have sufferred quality loss during conversion from NTSC.
I have converted many PAL videos to NTSC and vice-versa using a basic digital converter(a Samar USA CDM-630)

and have never had any noticeable quality loss.
I am not really an expert yet in this but so far in my experience it seems to me likely that once a video has been digitally created it should then play in both formats.In fact I have proof of that statement because not only can I here in the USA csatisfactorily play two PAL DVDs(a UK purchased copy of the superb video describing in his own words how Paul Simon created the "Graceland" album) and a copy of the Simon and Garfunkel/Everly Brothers "Old Friends" 2003 concert DVD (which I actually bought it on-line from a dealer in Holland both for myself and for my sister in Stockport, Cheshire, UK so both copies are marked PAL format and indeed play perfectly(here on a standard US issue Toshiba DVD Player through a JVC NTSC television and in the UK on a UK issue DVD Player through a Sony PAL television.I also believe that "catman" Ron Chidgey in Melbourne very happily plays a US sourced Reno DVD on his Aussie PAL player
and that other prominent Melburnian joveski is interested in mpg vcd files (see below) so maybe he might like to comment here?? I know that video CDs (VCDs) made from downloaded mpeg-1 video files (*.mpg) (or converted from a wmv format video file (*.wmv) then burnt to a CD-R likewise play satisfactorily on both NTSC and PAL "standalone" DVD players,plus as a bonus that the relevant VCD-format file on the resulting video CD is stored thereupon as a file with a dat file extension (*.dat) which can be associated/played with Windows Media Player (and most likely Apple Quicktime for MAC addicts???) so that the VCD may be played by the standard cd-rom drive on your computer.I am planning a tutorial on making video cds etc and will investigate this fact more before writing it.
OK this was a little off topic but if anyone has any pertinent comments I would be delighted to hear them either here or direct by email to me at fowlesjohn@hotmail.com
Sorry ladies for ther techie talk I was just trying to help here you understand
John Fowles
I Mean No One No Harm

[ May 24, 2005, 09:57: Message edited by: johnfowles ]
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 09:49 AM   #17
johnfowles

Quote:
My version of the Harry Tracy DVD is an Australian region free release in PAL format, by a company called Force Video. I could imagine that the degradation in sound might be a result of the conversion from the original NTSC format
I see that Gunter is concerned that his PAL converted DVD might have sufferred quality loss during conversion from NTSC.
I have converted many PAL videos to NTSC and vice-versa using a basic digital converter(a Samar USA CDM-630)

and have never had any noticeable quality loss.
I am not really an expert yet in this but so far in my experience it seems to me likely that once a video has been digitally created it should then play in both formats.In fact I have proof of that statement because not only can I here in the USA csatisfactorily play two PAL DVDs(a UK purchased copy of the superb video describing in his own words how Paul Simon created the "Graceland" album) and a copy of the Simon and Garfunkel/Everly Brothers "Old Friends" 2003 concert DVD (which I actually bought it on-line from a dealer in Holland both for myself and for my sister in Stockport, Cheshire, UK so both copies are marked PAL format and indeed play perfectly(here on a standard US issue Toshiba DVD Player through a JVC NTSC television and in the UK on a UK issue DVD Player through a Sony PAL television.I also believe that "catman" Ron Chidgey in Melbourne very happily plays a US sourced Reno DVD on his Aussie PAL player
and that other prominent Melburnian joveski is interested in mpg vcd files (see below) so maybe he might like to comment here?? I know that video CDs (VCDs) made from downloaded mpeg-1 video files (*.mpg) (or converted from a wmv format video file (*.wmv) then burnt to a CD-R likewise play satisfactorily on both NTSC and PAL "standalone" DVD players,plus as a bonus that the relevant VCD-format file on the resulting video CD is stored thereupon as a file with a dat file extension (*.dat) which can be associated/played with Windows Media Player (and most likely Apple Quicktime for MAC addicts???) so that the VCD may be played by the standard cd-rom drive on your computer.I am planning a tutorial on making video cds etc and will investigate this fact more before writing it.
OK this was a little off topic but if anyone has any pertinent comments I would be delighted to hear them either here or direct by email to me at fowlesjohn@hotmail.com
Sorry ladies for ther techie talk I was just trying to help here you understand
John Fowles
I Mean No One No Harm

[ May 24, 2005, 09:57: Message edited by: johnfowles ]
Old 05-24-2005, 02:27 PM   #18
Steele's Tavern

Quote:
Originally posted by Borderstone:
Gunter,I recently (almost a year ago)acquired a DVD copy of said "Harry Tracy" movie. I've only watched it once since I don't want to wear it out. (DVD's get ruined too.)
Border, you should get a DVD player/VCR combo that can dub from DVD to VHS so you can make a copy (unless the DVD is copy-protected, that is)

BTW, don't worry about yours getting ruined. Mine is MUCH worse.
Old 05-24-2005, 02:27 PM   #19
Diggerboy91

Quote:
Originally posted by Borderstone:
Border, you should get a DVD player/VCR combo that can dub from DVD to VHS so you can make a copy (unless the DVD is copy-protected, that is)

BTW, don't worry about yours getting ruined. Mine is MUCH worse.
Old 05-24-2005, 02:50 PM   #20
violet Blue

Ya know John, they have twelve step programs for techno geeks now. :D

[QUOTE]Originally posted by johnfowles:
I have converted many PAL videos to NTSC and vice-versa using a basic digital converter
violet Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 03:13 PM   #21
johnfowles

[quote]Originally posted by violet Blue Horse:
Now Now violent equine
I did after all that absorbing infomercial apologise sumptiously
"Sorry ladies for the techie talk I was just trying to help here you understand"
John Fowles
I Meant No One No Harm
Old 05-24-2005, 03:13 PM   #22
johnfowles

[quote]Originally posted by violet Blue Horse:
Now Now violent equine
I did after all that absorbing infomercial apologise sumptiously
"Sorry ladies for the techie talk I was just trying to help here you understand"
John Fowles
I Meant No One No Harm
Old 05-24-2005, 06:29 PM   #23
charlene

Sir John - as long as you continue to feed me cake you can talk all the techie talk you want!
lol

Char
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 06:29 PM   #24
charlene

Sir John - as long as you continue to feed me cake you can talk all the techie talk you want!
lol

Char
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 08:01 PM   #25
Borderstone

Hi Dig. B! Well,funny you should mention DVD's & VHS. I just a few days ago bought a new (seperate) VCR. I have a DVD plyer too and much as I would have loved to get the "combo",right now that kind of item is selling for more than I can afford to pay.

The VCR (due to their decling popularity) was a steal at just over $30. Nice Sylvania model,easy to use.

I really don't "tape" things anymore. Not just because I haven't had a VCR in awhile but it justy no longer intrests me to do so. Nice suggestion though,maybe if I was younger and had more free time like I used to.

In fact I have nearly 25 VHS tapes of music related things I recorded off TV in 1991 to 1993. 6 hours apeice,which means...when in the heck will I be able to watch 'em all?? LOL!

Been me,later!
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote