banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > Small Talk

Old 02-22-2011, 05:46 PM   #26
charlene

Default Re: Canadian Health Care

Our banks are not allowed to do the things the banks in the U.S. do/did. The government doesn't allow it as it would be the govenment that would have to bail them out and that's not what the government is for.
House prices have risen in some areas, sales might be a bit slower but interest rates are static but expected to rise. Mortgage terms have been changed by the Finance Minister as well. Canadian home owners can't get into the deep trouble so many Americans find themselves in.
Sadly it's not just corporate greed.. The mindset of 'i want it, i'll buy it' has taken over with so many people be they the poor, middle or rich class of folk... Cheap credit is not cheap in the long run if bills don't get paid but folks put off today what they will never pay tomorrow. and then they're in quite a pickle. The consumerism is rampant everywhere but not as bad here.
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:15 PM   #27
RM

Nice summary. Any word on the new guitar player ?
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:20 PM   #28
charlene

nope - no word.. I don't think there will be any announcement at this time.. If at all.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:11 PM   #29
teherie

As a U.S. Citizen, I just made a trip to the Emergency Room two weeks ago. I have a top shelf plan that I contribute a portion of the premium to each month along with a $500 deductible, 10% co-insurance plus my $75 ER co-pay as well as my monthly contributions toward the cost of my insurance coverage. Overall, it costs around $12,000 annually for my wife and me between me and my employer. I might add that I received excellent, compassionate treatment from everyone I came into contact with that night.

In my case, I will pay the first $575 out of pocket plus 10% of the next $1,500. The irony is that my U.S. hospital ran a CAT scan and sent it to Australia to be read at 2 AM in the morning. I was in the ER for 4.5 hours. My insurance carrier will be overbilled by the hospital who will in turn accept the actual payment that my insurance company pays since the provider participates with Blue Cross/Blue Shield. In essence, those with private health insurance subsidize those on medical assistance or without coverage or lacking the ability to pay.

Contrast that with a trip to the ER with my son at Parry Sound, Ontario about 8 years ago. We waited 15 minutes, saw the doctor and he sent us up the street to a pharmacy for an over the counter remedy that fixed the problem in about two days.

In the end, does it really matter whether you pay your premium via a payroll tax imposed by the government or by salary deduction from your paycheck? In either system, those with the ability to pay or connections will always move to the front of the line for treatment.
teherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:55 PM   #30
charlene

There is no front of the line situations here.. There are a few places set up with some diagnostic machinery that can be accessed by paying high prices if you don't want to wait but nobody in the ER (or doctor's office or clinic) is seen on any basis other than the medical emergency that brought them there,..not how they paid into the health care system or how much money they do or DON't have or if they even have a job.
I just recently read that health care dollars spent in the U.S. per person equals around 7 grand as opposed to just over 3 grand here in Canada.
I'll have to remember where I read that...
Old 03-02-2011, 04:13 PM   #31
RM

How's this story playing in Canada ?

http://www.lfpress.com/news/london/2...-17391716.html
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:35 PM   #32
charlene

It's in all the papers..more of a family's wishes vs. medical recommendations.
I'm pretty sure it's not news anywhere other than here in the southern Ontario/southwest ontario area. Altho I am sure this sort of dilemma plays out in hospitals/hospices/nursing homes all around the world on any given day..
tough on everybody.