banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2005, 01:05 AM   #51
Sheryl

Send a message via AIM to Sheryl

O.K., Richard, I have a bit of trivia for you!! A song was written about the San Fernando Valley and hit No. 1 on the Billboard chart on April 29, 1944. It was sung by Roy Rogers (you've heard of him?!) in the 1943 movie, "San Fernando Valley." Here are the lyrics for you:

"Oh I'm packin' my grip and I'm leavin' today,
cause I'm taking a trip California way
I'm gonna settle down and never more roam,
and make the San Fernando Valley my home.

I'll forget my sins, I'll be makin' new friends,
where the West begins and the sunset ends
Cause I've decided where yours truly should be
and it's the San Fernando Valley for me.

I think that I'm safe in statin',
she will be waitin' when my lonely journey is done
And kindly old Rev'rend Thomas made us a promise,
he will make the two of us one

So I'm hittin' the trail to the cow country,
you can forward my mail care of R.F.D.,
I'm gonna settle down and never more roam
and make the San Fernando Valley my home."

And here's the website for more info about the lovely place where I grew up! http://www.americassuburb.com/home.html

Originally, orange groves were everywhere. As more veterans from the Korean War and WWII got married and moved their families here, the groves became more sparse as more housing tracts were built. There is still the occasional grove here and there, and many homes still have at least one or two orange trees. I've lived here my whole life and love it.

Oh, one more thing. The movie, "Chinatown" with Jack Nicholson was loosely based on the bringing of water to the Valley. Here's another quote from the website:

"Nothing altered the Valley's future like the opening on Nov. 5, 1913 of an aqueduct between the Eastern Sierra's Owens Valley and a reservoir west of San Fernando. The waterway designed by William Mulholland transformed a parched region into an irrigated greenbelt."

Perhaps you remember the name of John Huston's character: Mulwray.... coincidence? I think not.

Also, one last interesting tidbit:

The Beatles first performance in Los Angeles caused a frenzy that ran for several days. Fearing wild fans, officials barred the band from using Burbank Airport. The Fab Four stayed in a private home since no hotel could stand the onslaught of fans.

Hours before their first sold-out concert at Hollywood Bowl the evening of August 23, 1964, Beatlemania hit Studio City. The Beatles dropped in on for a "secret" press conference at the Cinnamon Cinder, a nightclub for teenagers at 11345 Ventura Boulevard.

The Cinder belonged to Bob Eubanks, the KRLA disc jockey (now TV personality) who also presented the Beatles concert. He thought the club would be a quiet place to let writers interview the band. He was wrong.

At about 7 p.m., the Beatles tried to sneak in. Word got out, however, and Ventura Boulevard was mobbed. "More than 400 teenagers staged a mass attack," the now-defunct Valley Times reported. One 15-year-old girl threw herself in front of the Beatles' limousine, but was unhurt.

Fans who didn't get to see the Beatles at the Cinder or the Bowl always had the drive-in. That week, "A Hard’s Day Night" was screening at the Sepulveda Drive-in."

Did I mention that I grew up in Studio City?! Verrry interesting place!

[ April 17, 2005, 01:16: Message edited by: Sheryl ]
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 07:31 PM   #52
Janie

Hi Sheryl,
Wow, I'm overwhelmed and hardly know where to begin to reply.
Orange trees in your back yard sound spectacular and exotic. I suppose faraway places do that to you. Hey, bring some pictures if you can....love to see them.
Î do remember Chinatown so I suppose I've seen some of the sights of the valley as it was "supposed to be" in 1940 or so.
....where on earth did you dig up that song from?
So a little trivia in return...Gord's video Harry Tracy was filmed on Vancouver Island just north of where I live!
See you in a couple of weeks
Richard
Janie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 07:31 PM   #53
hkusam

Hi Sheryl,
Wow, I'm overwhelmed and hardly know where to begin to reply.
Orange trees in your back yard sound spectacular and exotic. I suppose faraway places do that to you. Hey, bring some pictures if you can....love to see them.
Î do remember Chinatown so I suppose I've seen some of the sights of the valley as it was "supposed to be" in 1940 or so.
....where on earth did you dig up that song from?
So a little trivia in return...Gord's video Harry Tracy was filmed on Vancouver Island just north of where I live!
See you in a couple of weeks
Richard
hkusam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 10:40 PM   #54
Sheryl

Send a message via AIM to Sheryl

We're only going to have 3 hours to meet and greet, Richard! I think everyone will be bored by my bringing pictures of my yard, LOL!!! If I get brave, I'll take a picture or two and post it on the Test Forum (trying to get a bit more faith in myself on that front). However, I will talk off your ear and listen just as well when I see you! I visited Vancouver when I was 13 or so, beautiful area! I loved putting one foot on U.S. soil and the other on Canadian soil and saying, "Hey, Daddy! I'm in two countries!" Hey...I was 13! (too many years ago!) Insofar as that obscure San Fernando Valley song goes...I remember hearing it on a radio station about 20 years ago. They were playing obscure (or older) songs and this one came up... and it just stuck in my memory. I googled for it so I could find the link (John, aren't you proud of me?). I think we should continue this stuff on the non GL topic section... I'm getting off topic!
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 10:56 PM   #55
Janie

ok...I'll meet you there in the next day or so...when ever you get a chance to sit at the computer. This has been a long post hasn't it? though that's ok; the basic thread was started by Gord!
Richard
Janie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 10:56 PM   #56
hkusam

ok...I'll meet you there in the next day or so...when ever you get a chance to sit at the computer. This has been a long post hasn't it? though that's ok; the basic thread was started by Gord!
Richard
hkusam is offline   Reply With Quote