banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 05-09-2012, 12:06 PM   #1
charlene

Default ALL LIVE review

http://top100canadianblog.blogspot.c...lightfoot.html

Monday, April 30, 2012MUSIC REVIEW OF THE DAY: GORDON LIGHTFOOT - ALL LIVE

Forty, fifty years from now, people are still going to be saying, "I saw him at Massey Hall." Gordon Lightfoot is associated with the venerable building in a way only a special few become; like Elton John at Madison Square Garden, perhaps. Lightfoot's yearly shows at the Toronto venue are the highlight of his year, and of course, for the audiences as well.

This album is made up of shows recorded at Massey Hall from 1998 to 2001 by the folks from Grant Avenue Studio in Hamilton. Such is the quality that not an overdub or fix has been made, not a change to the original mix. Kudos to the engineers, first. Then, of course, to the musicians, Lightfoot's long-serving and proficient group, plus Gord himself, daring what few have done over the years, releasing a truly live album. If there are shaky moments, they are few and far between. It is, however, the Lightfoot of 10-plus years ago, of stronger voice before his serious illness, but he still puts on a fine show these days. Why he sat on the tapes for so long is a question, but it's a strong and enjoyable set.

I like that it's not a greatest hits; there are lots of favourites for sure, but it's liberally blessed with lesser-known numbers and some of his then-recent and woefully overlooked numbers. As this has the chance to be a strong seller for Lightfoot, hopefully songs like A Painter Passing Through, Shadows and especially 1993's Restless will become better known. They certainly sit strongly among the best-known ones here, If You Could Read My Mind, Sundown, Carefree Highway, and of course, Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald and Canadian Railroad Trilogy. In fact, those numbers are such a part of our conscious, it's the lesser-known ones that proof most enjoyable here, showing how truly deep the man's songwriting catalogue is.

It galls me to know that in the U.S. and England, critics and music snobs have little time for Lightfoot. Well, screw 'em. This is our culture, our folk music.
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:05 PM   #2
Dan O'Malley

Default Re: ALL LIVE review

got my copy today! played it twice and felt like like i was back in toronto! Gordon is not a household name here in england, but i have converted several people! Just 6 months and i'll be back there! (front row too!!!)
Old 05-09-2012, 04:46 PM   #3
Lisa J

Send a message via AIM to Lisa J

I have all the time in the world for Lightfoot,but then I am neither a critic or a music snob... Just a die hard fan. Some of us Americans thank you for sharing him with us.
I haven't stopped playing the LIVE cd since I got it. some of the song choices make me smile as they are not what most people would expect to hear. I love it that Ringneck Loon is on this Cd, for example. Christian Island and IYCRMM are my two personal favorites, but I love them all.
Lisa J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:06 PM   #4
imported_Next_Saturday

Here's the promotional video on the "All Live" Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10150813347537814
Old 05-09-2012, 05:24 PM   #5
charlene

I PVR'd the ad last week..while hanging some Lightfoot related artwork in my den.It was quite funny..
..I was going to record it with my camera from the tv and post it to youtube..lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5597.jpg
Views:	492
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	5000   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5598.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	5001  
Old 05-10-2012, 10:30 AM   #6
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Interestingly that promo features the original momentous artwork, so it must be a Walmart advert??
Our copies have recently arrived from Amazon and are the momentless version
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	available now2.jpg
Views:	456
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	5002  

(where Sir does not signify that I am a fully benighted Knight just a Bt which signifies a humble Baronet -?? read the wiki!)
I meant no one no harm
Once inside we found a curious moonbeam
Doing dances on the floor

johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:43 AM   #7
Dan O'Malley

My copies outer packaging had "massey hall moments" on it, and when i ripped the cd onto my media player, the same thing came up!
Old 05-10-2012, 11:08 AM   #8
Moose

My copy (bought off the rack at Archambault in Quebec) did not have "Massey Hall Moments" but my media player doesn't recognize it as anything. It plays fine & I love it but I had to enter all the info manually.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 01:08 PM   #9
charlene

TV AD here says "Available IN STORE and ONLINE"..no mention of any particular store..also shows both covers at different times during the ad..
Old 05-19-2012, 11:57 PM   #10
DellroyGM

Good review, Char. I basically agree with you. The only (little) peeve is the narrow range of time the songs cover - three years!? - but, as I said, it's a small one.
Completely agree with kudos to Gord, the band, and the engineers who produced such a great recording that they could be presented as is...all the tracks sound good!
As for the music snobs - pah! - they have no idea what they're missing!
-DellroyGM
DellroyGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:57 AM   #11
charlene

My bro-in-law in Florida ordered the CD from Wal-Mart online for me and despite the pic being the 'old' one for the cover it was delivered with the new one. At the store it is also the new one..
Old 05-20-2012, 11:48 AM   #12
jj

Our culture, but everybody's music

Interesting..Traditions:

Lightfoot at Massey
Elton at Madison Square Garden

Joel at Yankee Stadium?

please add others...

____ at ______
jj is offline   Reply With Quote