banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > Small Talk

Old 04-11-2004, 09:23 PM   #1
Borderstone

I say that,without a doubt,undebateably,no contest,hands down,the worst year ever for popular music? "1989!" Why? Where to begin?

How about 32 #1 singles in a calendar year? I know that sounds like a good thing but what it really meant was that record sales had reached an,almost,all time low! Gee,i can't understand why! With such deep,serious thinking man's music groups & singers as: The Fine Young Cannibals,NKOTB,Michael "Rock On" Damien and of course ....Milli Vanilli!!

Not just the "music" that accompanied this "dreadlocked dancing duo" but the fact that these guys won a Grammy for best new artist over...well...ANYBODY! Then the humiliation of having to give it back and also the humiliation of their fans,who shelled out money! I had sympathy for Rob Pilatus' shame and his later suicide but still,Milli Vanilli,sheesh!

Lastly,the 80's themselves came to a bigger crashing end then the 1970's ever did. Every group and music trend had been overexposed and played out. So,if you ever wondered why '90s music wasso drastically diferent,that's why. 1989,except for Janet Jackson's Rhythm Nation LP,Roxette (who I thought should have been Best New Artist!),and the good acts that were left over,'89 was a waste! I can't imagine anything worse! Been me,later!

Oh! Oh! ..and Bobby Brown.

------------------
Borderstone,gonna post some lines tonight!:D
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 05:49 AM   #2
Janice

I don't care who sang it (since we know it wasn't Milli Vanilli)Blame It On The Rain was still a very cool song

quote:Originally posted by Borderstone:
I say that,without a doubt,undebateably,no contest,hands down,the worst year ever for popular music? "1989!" Why? Where to begin?

How about 32 #1 singles in a calendar year? I know that sounds like a good thing but what it really meant was that record sales had reached an,almost,all time low! Gee,i can't understand why! With such deep,serious thinking man's music groups & singers as: The Fine Young Cannibals,NKOTB,Michael "Rock On" Damien and of course ....Milli Vanilli!!

Not just the "music" that accompanied this "dreadlocked dancing duo" but the fact that these guys won a Grammy for best new artist over...well...ANYBODY! Then the humiliation of having to give it back and also the humiliation of their fans,who shelled out money! I had sympathy for Rob Pilatus' shame and his later suicide but still,Milli Vanilli,sheesh!

Lastly,the 80's themselves came to a bigger crashing end then the 1970's ever did. Every group and music trend had been overexposed and played out. So,if you ever wondered why '90s music wasso drastically diferent,that's why. 1989,except for Janet Jackson's Rhythm Nation LP,Roxette (who I thought should have been Best New Artist!),and the good acts that were left over,'89 was a waste! I can't imagine anything worse! Been me,later!

Oh! Oh! ..and Bobby Brown.

Janice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 09:48 AM   #3
Doug Letcher

I think that the 80's was a great decade for music. As far as the worst year for music,
I don't know, but the worst decade for music, well, we're in it.

Later
Doug Letcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 03:21 AM   #4
Borderstone

Janice,don't get me wrong,I bought all of their singles (mainly because i'm a record collector anyway) and I liked "Rain" and "Girl,I'm Gonna Miss You" too.
It's just the overall falseness and deception that bug me. That and the music on the rest of their hits could have been better.
By the way,the people that did sing it were named Charles Shaw,John Davis & Brad Howe (who were deemed not visual enough MtV,in reality they were just thought to be too old being in or near their 40's). A little female back-up in there too.
As for the 80s,maybe if there had been less use of the sythesizer! Been me,later!

------------------
Borderstone,gonna post some lines tonight!:D
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote