banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 07-04-2008, 08:31 PM   #1
Shutup and Deal, I'm Losin'
spammer

Default "Fade-offs" that fade off later.....

When I listen to the song "A Lesson In Love" from the 'East Of Midnight' album, at the end when it fades off, it keeps on playing about 5 seconds longer than it does on 'Songbook'. I wonder what the deal is? And are there any other songs that do this? (I think I heard someone say that on the 2002 Greatest Hits album, "The Wreck Of The E.F." fades off sooner)...
Shutup and Deal, I'm Losin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 10:06 PM   #2
joveski

Default Re: "Fade-offs" that fade off later.....

since the tracks on songbook were probably remastered, they would have went back to the original master tape, so it can be different. sometimes the channels are reversed and things like that get done
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 11:33 AM   #3
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy

The person who edited the tape probably clipped the ending a bit to save space.

Cathy
Old 07-08-2008, 10:16 AM   #4
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy View Post
The person who edited the tape probably clipped the ending a bit to save space.

Cathy
you are probably absolutely correct Cathy all four Songbook CDs were carefully compiled to utilise to the full the standard audio CD maximum of 74 mlnutes. that was incidentally the size agreed to by Sony of Japan and Phillips of Holland when they drew up the specification for a standard digital compact disc that was allegedly designed to hold an entire performance of Beethovens 9th Symphony which on average just so happens to take 74 minutes!!
Further on that theme.I was in a local Shoprite supermarket over the weekend and spotted a special display rock of the Warner Greatest Hits CD series of some 15 CDs that includes Ray Charles Yes and of course Gords Gold all are presented in identically styled artwork including this familiar one.
[img]
http://www.johnfowles.org.uk/lightfo..._new_cover.jpg
[/img]
If this image fails to display blaim the bulletin board not me , but click the proffered link to see the Greatest Hits Gord's Gold artwork if you need a reminder. OK?? I almost give up so I will attach a clickable thumbnail instead
I think that everyone concluded that the ostensibly redesigned artwork signified a complete reissue of Gords Gold and several fans myself included therfore bemoaned rhe evident fact that the advantage was not taken to correct the original compilation which at 72 minutes was slightly less than 74 minutes and omitted the 3:28 track A O 8th Avenue due as the CD insert coyly says
"the track "Affair On Eighth avenue" which appears on the double album and casette has been omitted so as to facilitate a single specially priced compact disc".There was therefore some discussion on and criticism of Warner's decision to "reissue" it exactly as before,despite the inclusion of A O 8th Ave putting the total just over the magic 74 minutes
I can now having looked at a copy reveal the reason for some of the confusion.It was not a reissue as such but a simple repackaging because that artwork reproduced above is not the actual CD insert at all only the front of a cardboard sleeve that encloses the original CD exactrly as it used to be!!!
On the back of the sleeve is a listing of the original CD's 21 tracks but no mention of A O 8th Avenue at all at all.
Obviously each individual CD in the series has a reproduction of the original artwork
and therefore to save the cost of redesigning GG's artwork they simply used the original's "as is"
OK perhaps they should have rehashed the CD to include A O 8th Ave
but my guess is that the Greatest Hits series was put together as cheaply as possible to get sales and I have to admit that at $9.99 plus tax in a supermarket it is a real bargain that should bring a new wave of Lightfoot fans into the fold.
Discuss
[img]
http://www.johnfowles.org.uk/lightfo..._new_cover.jpg
[/img]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gords_Gold_new_cover.jpg
Views:	483
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	1951  

(where Sir does not signify that I am a fully benighted Knight just a Bt which signifies a humble Baronet -?? read the wiki!)
I meant no one no harm
Once inside we found a curious moonbeam
Doing dances on the floor

Last edited by johnfowles; 07-09-2008 at 02:51 PM.
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 06:54 PM   #5
Shutup and Deal, I'm Losin'
spammer

They should have put AO8A back on Gords Gold if they had room to reissue it. They shouldn't have ever taken it off in the first place. One of the non re-recorded songs should have been taken off. What the heck-fire were they thinkin'?
Shutup and Deal, I'm Losin' is offline   Reply With Quote