banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 02-03-2009, 04:48 PM   #1
JohnStinson

Default John Stinson

Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald

j

Last edited by JohnStinson; 02-20-2009 at 10:58 AM.
JohnStinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 10:59 AM   #2
jj

Default Re: John Stinson

that's just great, john! wonderful all around, and A1 stage presence

i remember a clip of this from your website montage and would like to hear full version of others such as restless

question - those bed tracks are great but will you and Paul be teaming up in the future and just going with one guy on rhythm and one on lead without beds? the thing that always terrified me about using beds is that if a lyric is forgotten, you can't just keep vamping until it comes back to the tip of the tongue because the bed track just keep surging forward, lol

anyhow, you have that recovery method calmly mastered ...i would have panicked and marhed off stage in ashley simpson SNL fashion...heh heh

keep em coming and give us the heads up when you and PB are appearing, cheers
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 01:10 PM   #3
JohnStinson

Tx JJ, You are right about playing with the 'Band'. I like this 'band' cause they play all the songs i want to without complaining.

I've started to pull that performance (actually 2 different nites)apart and put up the songs on YouTube. It was about 35 GL songs all together. Didn't get them all on the video and some are out of focus and blocked by the guests.

Paul and I have been practicing(drinking) a bit and we'd like to do something soon. We are trying to decide which songs we want the 'band' and which ones we don't. Its not always an easy decision.

hope you're well
john
Old 02-04-2009, 01:51 PM   #4
podunklander

WOW...great performance John! thanks for sharing your vid
Old 02-04-2009, 02:48 PM   #5
JohnStinson

High and Dry... over the years this song would always come to mind for me when asked to play something. I also found it interesting as having background vocals by Kathy Smith (supposedly). There was apparently..more Kathy background but was taken out before release.

john
Old 02-05-2009, 01:16 AM   #6
Nightingale

Very nice, John I love High and Dry...such a great song.
Am I dreaming or did you do a cover of "I'll Tag Along"? If so, I would love to see it posted here or at the YouTube site....it was outstanding.
into the broad ocean..."

G. Lightfoot "Tattoo"
Nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 07:21 AM   #7
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightingale View Post
Am I dreaming or did you do a cover of "I'll Tag Along"? If so, I would love to see it posted here or at the YouTube site....it was outstanding.

a segment of it appears at 1:10 - agreed, wonderful stuff

YouTube - Massey 2008 - Friday Pub Jam Montage

nice work by John and the rest of the gang for that matter (TG, RonJ, PaulB, Paul2)

note: i couldn't find a power outlet where i was (trying to be distantly and discreetly) stationed at the pub so i was on limited battery power and so could only capture short clips of tunes, mainly for the purpose of blending a short montage in order to give non-attendees a flavour and attendees a wee keepsake...agh, my juice ran out before John sang I'm not Supposed to Care, that was a highlight for me

Last edited by jj; 02-06-2009 at 09:00 PM.
Old 02-05-2009, 01:29 PM   #8
DawnsMinstrel

Excellent John! The tonal quality of your voice is quite similar to G's. I wish I could have been at that pub jam to meet and play with all of you!

-Tim
DawnsMinstrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 03:31 PM   #9
lighthead2toe

John, I'm so happy to see this. It does the heart good believe me. You really have a talent for Gord's material and no doubt others as well.
We'll do it up nice for the pub jam this year if Gord is on for the Massey Shows in November.
Keep pickin'. Ron J.
lighthead2toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 09:42 PM   #10
JohnStinson

Truly thankful for your kind words...

BTW...I think the way you showed me to capo for lowerd E string to D with 2 capos is Great ...I do it all the time now.

You're the best
john
Old 02-06-2009, 04:47 PM   #11
JohnStinson

I have posted some new videos on You Tube. Black Day In July, Second Cup Of Coffee. Have a look and let me know what you think. Slow down ...speed up...remember the lyrics...I wrenched my back 5 days ago...can't move... Thats why i am typing into Corfid all the time.
Go GL!

My Channel is

http://www.youtube.com/user/002002jes

Apparently if you 'subscribe' ...you are notified if any new videos are posted.
(Just learning how this stuff works)
Old 02-07-2009, 01:15 AM   #12
lighthead2toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnStinson View Post
Truly thankful for your kind words...

BTW...I think the way you showed me to capo for lowerd E string to D with 2 capos is Great ...I do it all the time now.

You're the best
john
Thanks John.
The late "Rick Fielding" was the guy who showed me how to do that and a very talented man he was.
He worked on and off with Gord at Steele's Tavern on Yonge Street back in the sixties.
A true friend he was and a really underrated guy.
He did a wonderful arrangement of "Early Morning Rain" in those days of which Gord gave him the "thumbs up."
There's a lot of stuff that I would love to go on about but it's getting close to my "milk and cookie time" so we'll save it for another day.
Cheers, RJ.
lighthead2toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 01:54 AM   #13
Nightingale

Glad to see your videos going on YouTube, John. It's such a fun place for music lovers to enjoy all you talented people. Love going there and listening.

I think you will like it once you get used to it and people discover your channel.
There are lots of nice people to meet and great music to discover...hope you have fun with it.
into the broad ocean..."

G. Lightfoot "Tattoo"
Nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 08:11 AM   #14
jj

Icon14 Re: John Stinson

Quote:
Apparently if you 'subscribe' ...you are notified if any new videos are posted. (Just learning how this stuff works)
yes, if you subscribe to your fave cover artists, it makes coming here and checking for any new adds pretty much redundant

that's the big plus if covers were sorted by Song as you could see any new adds rise to the top of the forum

unfortunately, one can't subscribe to youtube to be notified of new covers of your fave songs (by any Artist)...you can search for song titles but often these are often audio mp3s of the actual tune with a static pic of the artist or a clever slideshow accompanying the tune...oh well, the final results of the Florida count are already in and acted upon, lol

john, love those two new adds...yeah, you've really got it goin' on!

you've got 50 to go to keep up with David's tally and 250 to go to cover the Gord catalogue

hope you can play & record while lying flat on your back

get well, cheers

Last edited by jj; 02-08-2009 at 12:31 AM.
Old 02-07-2009, 02:37 PM   #15
JohnStinson

what the blazes...

All GL songs covered...recorded...hacked at...played... and replayed. Till I get them right. LOL!!

I may not be pretty...
I may not be smart ...
But even the ....

Oh I can't finish anything.
tx
John
Old 02-07-2009, 09:32 PM   #16
JohnStinson

I posted another Gord tune. I'm up to 9 or 10 ....200 to go. LOL!!
GO GO ROUND is there

Funny thing. At 1:28 min into the video something strange happens. What was that. Right in the middle of the guitar lead instrumental part.

Thanks for listening...John
Old 02-07-2009, 09:43 PM   #17
charlene

just a little tuck..
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 10:45 PM   #18
jj

Quote:
At 1:28 min into the video something strange happens. What was that. Right in the middle of the guitar lead instrumental part.
nice once again!
i am used to that sort of interference when filming and as a matter of fact the worst offenders are folks at GL jam sessions...the primary reason i cut away to photo stills during the montages is because i have no choice, i'm really just trying to hide the fact that a butt (usually large, lol) is smothering my lens as i trying film...the worst part is it blocks the mic often also and effects the consistency of the level which you gotta deal with in post...that's why i love when the sound it captured through the sound board for video....leading to my question...do you have the ability to record through the board at you gigs? that way we wouldnt have to listen to folks talking during your great work...let me know where you're next gig is...i have pm replied to you ...
Old 02-07-2009, 10:54 PM   #19
charlene

JJ - at the next Massey get your camera etc. right up front..folks can move over, stay out of the way of it and hopefully be quiet!
Old 02-08-2009, 12:30 AM   #20
jj

you mean massey hall wont i get ushered out?? lol, kiddin

but the main reason i stay back (if i can't get soundboard audio) is the sound capture is better not so close to the speakers...and i dont like obstructing others from their view....anyhow, the fowles's have gold season tix

btw, i wasn't referring to 'your' or anyone here's rear, it was the strangers coming in and out mostly...they are also the chatterers, except the one gal from the beaches who just loved all, especially mr. Stinson!

the real obstructions came at the 2006 hotel jam, that was a bad spot - what we need is a perch to shoot from...anyhow, the audio is the must

JohnS appears here to just use a beer cap resting on a table as a tripod, it works, eh....btw, i've caught humans making all sorts of tucks and rearrangements on film, lol....i've also got folks on audio not realizing their comments about other fans or performers are clearly coming through, oh boy

what would be nice is a power outlet and a second cam filming, yup
Old 02-08-2009, 11:04 AM   #21
JohnStinson

funny stuff..

Seriously though.. besides those 2 performances last year and that 'too much wine' evening at Paul's, I have not recorded any other videos. It is now on my mind how to improve the quality of them going forward. Not sure what the first step is but I will at least be conscious of it.

One isssue is file format..Even when I upload my software WINDVD allows me to save a video in many different formats. I did some in .wmv and others in mpeg -4 theatre .avi The .avi were bigger files..so maybe they were better quality.

This might be a good thread ...its related to Covers but its not a cover.. Will the 'thread police" pull me over if I get it wrong.

As always...thanks for listening.. ( I sound like Frasier)
john
Old 02-09-2009, 12:35 PM   #22
charlene

I'm sure JJ can help with the techie stuff regarding videos.
hell - just have him come over and record them with his handy dandy camera!
Old 02-10-2009, 08:27 AM   #23
JohnStinson

I put a few more GL cover videos up on You Tube.

Rainy Day People
I'll Do Anything
Carefree Highway
Go Go Round

13 GL Songs so fare.... 204 to go...or there abouts

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=...es&view=videos

john
Old 02-10-2009, 10:15 AM   #24
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
I'm sure JJ can help with the techie stuff regarding videos.
hell - just have him come over and record them with his handy dandy camera!

when I first saw John's videos last year i thought they deserved better audio capture for starters...here is my pm to him back in July:

"let me know if doing Richmond Hill gig again or elsewhere, maybe I can spin video for your promo purposes" cheers, Jim

i sent anogther last week asking if he and paul wanted to record out this way, as my ability to scoot up to york region is limited these days...of course, if the rink melts i will have some time free up, lol

John, if you're back is still bad, if you're in a wheelbed, it's all downhill to here on the 407

i would like to hear a raw recording without the bed tracks

note: they SFAWN and EMR video they did was wonderful, that's more like it these talents deserve decent recording, especially audio
Old 02-10-2009, 05:31 PM   #25
JohnStinson

Nightingale asked for I'll Tag Along a ways back. Never played it before. I trip on it a little bit.

Heres a raw video of it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/002002jes

jj. The old JVC camera i've been using is at least 9 or 10 years old. I was checking it the other day for audio in so I can take the sound right from the board. But alas it doesn't.