banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 01-19-2004, 01:36 AM   #1
AZroute74

Does any of your friends or co-workers,associates,family members,neighbors,bosses...E.T.C think G.L. music or general folk music or even country music sux!! or ask you," how can you listen to that garbage"? How does that make you feel?
AZroute74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 01:36 AM   #2
Riffstorm

Does any of your friends or co-workers,associates,family members,neighbors,bosses...E.T.C think G.L. music or general folk music or even country music sux!! or ask you," how can you listen to that garbage"? How does that make you feel?
Riffstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 04:34 AM   #3
FrankV1

Riffstorm,
My wife likes him.My children are not great music fans in general.Communications with people over the years about Gord leave me this impression. He is respected but not considered a fashionable artist.
Old 01-19-2004, 04:34 AM   #4
FrankV1

Riffstorm,
My wife likes him.My children are not great music fans in general.Communications with people over the years about Gord leave me this impression. He is respected but not considered a fashionable artist.
Old 01-19-2004, 07:32 AM   #5
Gaby

No-one I know has even heard of him which seems incredible to me.
This is going to sound awfully elitist but I put it down to intellectual laziness.
I recently made a compilation cd for a friend, of GL and Warren Zevon, to encourage her to get into them. She loved the WZ but found GL ‘difficult’. Well, I love Warren Zevon, too but there is not (imho) the same thoughtful and poetic imagery in his songwriting as in GL’s. Maybe you do have to try harder to appreciate GL and some people are not prepared to travel that extra mile.
On the other hand, I made a compilation cd of GL (complete with snazzy artwork et al. I hope to god it never turns up on eBay) for my sister’s Christmas stocking (Yes, we still have stockings, even at our age) and she adores it and it goes everywhere with her. She’s already bought Sundown and I’ll give her Songbook for her birthday.
My mother used to love hearing me try to play Edmund Fitzgerald in my teens so I’ve just bought her his Complete Greatest Hits.
Maybe I shall have to make GL my personal crusade for 2004.
Gaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 08:10 AM   #6
TheWatchman

Everybody I know of knows who he is. Except some younger probably.
TheWatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 08:21 AM   #7
Gaby

I'm in the UK, 'tho'. He reaaly doesn't get the same (any) exposure. Pity.
Old 01-19-2004, 12:32 PM   #8
AZroute74

Thanks everyone for your comments .
Old 01-19-2004, 12:32 PM   #9
Riffstorm

Thanks everyone for your comments .
Old 01-19-2004, 02:16 PM   #10
joveski

none of my friends seem to know who he his but one guy said he likes Salute when i played a few track. he said that the intro to broken dreams sounds like the intro to a potential 80s sitcom - who am i to disagree?
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 07:27 PM   #11
violet Blue Horse

She found GL "difficult"? Compared to Zevon? Warren Zevon is not the easiest song writer to take sometimes. It seems people either appreciated his irony and attitude or they depised it. There's not much to depise or dislike in Lightfood lyrics.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Gaby:
[B]No-one I know has even heard of him which seems incredible to me.
This is going to sound awfully elitist but I put it down to intellectual laziness.
I recently made a compilation cd for a friend, of GL and Warren Zevon, to encourage her to get into them. She loved the WZ but found GL ‘difficult’.
Old 01-19-2004, 07:27 PM   #12
violet Blue Horse

She found GL "difficult"? Compared to Zevon? Warren Zevon is not the easiest song writer to take sometimes. It seems people either appreciated his irony and attitude or they depised it. There's not much to depise or dislike in Lightfood lyrics.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Gaby:
[B]No-one I know has even heard of him which seems incredible to me.
I recently made a compilation cd for a friend, of GL and Warren Zevon, to encourage her to get into them. She loved the WZ but found GL ‘difficult’.
Old 01-19-2004, 07:50 PM   #13
Gaby

quote:Originally posted by violet Blue Horse:
It seems people either appreciated his irony and attitude or they depised it.

Violet, I think maybe she missed quite a bit of Zevon and took him on a purely basic level. Perhaps I targeted the wrong person.

Story. - The other day, my daughter and I were sitting on my bed listening to Keep Me In Your Heart. We sneaked a look at each other and we both had tears streaming down our faces.
Old 01-20-2004, 01:58 PM   #14
joveski

i really love dirty life and times on the latest album. very catchy/upbeat, but at the same time, he was singing about his looming death. very touchy song. love it!
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 03:12 PM   #15
Gaby

Joveski.

Knockin’ On Heaven’s Door - Sung with an evil grin by a man you know is dying – Crazy! I loved this album.
Rub Me Raw – reminded me of a line in one of GL’s dirtier songs – fun.

I have a clipping about The Wind which I’ll post for you in Small Talk. (Already gone off topic too long.) It might encourage some others to give it a go.
Old 01-20-2004, 04:27 PM   #16
Steve DeRosa

Some of my younger friends (20's or so) say "Gordon, who?". Most of my older friends (40's or there abouts) say "Yeah, I used to listen to him...saw him in concert once in the 70's...what ever became of him?". The only people that I know who really like him "then and now" are the people on this board!
Steve DeRosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 04:27 PM   #17
Oma

Some of my younger friends (20's or so) say "Gordon, who?". Most of my older friends (40's or there abouts) say "Yeah, I used to listen to him...saw him in concert once in the 70's...what ever became of him?". The only people that I know who really like him "then and now" are the people on this board!
Oma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 04:56 PM   #18
Borderstone

Two friends I have (they are a couple) both share the same opinion. They think GL is lame,corny,old-fashioned,boring,you-name it!

The woman (they asked me not to use their names here) heard the opening line of,"A Minor Ballad" and exclaimed,"Dorky!"
The guy just simply says,"G-- that sucks!!

Oh well,they're both a decade younger than me so I don't expect them to get it.

Funny thing though,I never criticize anything they or others listen to. (Not directly anyway. Been me,later!

------------------
Borderstone,gonna post some lines tonight!:D
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 05:27 PM   #19
TheWatchman

I have always thought that the overwhelming majority of Lightfoot fans are educated, middle to upper class and generally have some knowledge of or some sort of musical background. Consider the source. Gord's music is above what they are capable of understanding.

I'm not saying that people are none of the above if you do not like Lightfoot. When people only hear one song much less the intro to one and instantly criticize it, I know they have little to no music knowledge or appreciation of music. It's just asinine to criticize Lightfoot. Again, always consider the source when one criticizes music without really even knowing what the artist is about.
TheWatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 05:55 PM   #20
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy

I really think the problem is a lack of exposure on this side of the border. Ask any Canadian, no matter what age, if they know who Gordon Ligthfoot is, and most of them will say they know of him. Step on this side of the border and ask the same question, and most people will say, "Gordon Light what.. who?" It seems that he has a very dedicated group of fans, but other than that, people don't know of him unless you sing a bar of Sundown, If You Could Read My Mind, or Wreck. I often think, "Oh, you poor soul. You don't have any idea what you've missed."

I think the fan websites have helped his exposure some. I remember back before I had access to the Internet, I didn't have a clue that Gord was still touring and recording. I thought of him as a has-been, a relic from the 70s. I honestly did not know that he had recorded anything after Summertime Dream. You know, life kept me busy and I didn't really keep up with him. I was literally shocked when I found Val's and Wayne's websites and discovered that I had missed two decades of great music. Since that time, I've turned a great many people on to his music. My mother and all of her friends started buying Lightfoot CDs, as did my fiddling friends, many guitar playing friends and musicians I associate with online. Even my young employees know who Gordon Lightfoot is, and a good many of them even LIKE him!

Cathy http://www.cathycowette.com
Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 08:23 PM   #21
Gaby

quote:Originally posted by Borderstone:
Two friends I have (they are a couple) both share the same opinion. They think GL is lame,corny,old-fashioned,boring,you-name it!

I think Borderstone’s friends belong to the gimme, gimme generation.

Maybe we could think of them as the protagonists of A Minor Ballad (She’s not really interested in him, but she might be if he flashes his credit card for a few designer dresses-gowns of soft crimson hue etc.)

Yes, when you start to listen to A Minor Ballad you could think - trite, lovey-dovey, etc.

Delve deeper, though, and you realise that this song has its roots in many centuries of English ballad making. (It t’was a young lad and his lass – with a hey and a ho and a hey nonny no.)

The word troubadour is frequently attached to GL without very much thought (I believe) being given to its true derivation. A troubadour was a lyrical poet in Southern France during the 11th-13th centuries. Many noble knights pledged their allegiance and undying love to Eleanor of Aquitaine (Wife of Henry the second of England).

She, supposedly, set up the Courts of Love in Poitiers (her capital). Here, the knights professed their love for their ladies in verse and song.

During the following centuries these songs became part and parcel of the English venacular tradition.

Ergo – we can trace the songwriting of Gordon Lightfoot back to eleventh century France.

Fanciful?

I don’t think so!
Old 01-20-2004, 11:34 PM   #22
AZroute74

i think most g.l. fans picture themselves singing his tunes with an imagination that they can sound and duplicate his soft spoken voice. I'am not refering to people that have already a singing voice that's established through singing experience. Cause I sure can't sing.When people who can't sing, usually they hear dogs pearch there voice in diseray or disbelief. My voice on the other hand can bend steel!!
Old 01-20-2004, 11:34 PM   #23
Riffstorm

i think most g.l. fans picture themselves singing his tunes with an imagination that they can sound and duplicate his soft spoken voice. I'am not refering to people that have already a singing voice that's established through singing experience. Cause I sure can't sing.When people who can't sing, usually they hear dogs pearch there voice in diseray or disbelief. My voice on the other hand can bend steel!!
Old 01-21-2004, 11:56 AM   #24
fowlesjohn

Gaby, that was very nice... you are quite the scholar in this area. Bravo. I had not known of the courts of love, but, now it makes Gords songs even nobler. Cathy I like you spent a lifetime raising kids, being a wife and teaching school, so I missed most, if not all, music for a long while. Now, my life seems more balanced, there is space and need for music. I find myself more tolerant of other music voices, also.
fowlesjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 11:56 AM   #25
gwen snyder

Gaby, that was very nice... you are quite the scholar in this area. Bravo. I had not known of the courts of love, but, now it makes Gords songs even nobler. Cathy I like you spent a lifetime raising kids, being a wife and teaching school, so I missed most, if not all, music for a long while. Now, my life seems more balanced, there is space and need for music. I find myself more tolerant of other music voices, also.
gwen snyder is offline   Reply With Quote