banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 08-14-2004, 10:16 PM   #1
LSH

I just got a rotten phone call. One of my son's really close friends died in Iraq on August 7. He'd been there just over a month. He went into the Marines just last spring. WTF?? I mean, the child (19 yrs old) had so very little training. These kids are just meat shields.

sorry, just had to vent. Now I get to break this news to my son when he gets home. which is any minute now.

war sucks. And I'm not talking politics and this non partisan person is not asking for conservative or liberal opinion. Just take a moment and say a prayer or send a good thought to our boys (for they are just boys, most of them).....
LSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 11:14 PM   #2
TheWatchman

Sorry to hear about your son's friend. Receiving news like that must be like a nightmare that never ends.
TheWatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 11:40 AM   #3
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

LSH,
Please pass my sincere condolences on to your son. We Marines consider each other brothers even when we have not yet met. Rest assured that no 'child' leaves USMC recruit training. He was a man. You will all be in our thoughts and prayers. Peace be with you.

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 12:54 PM   #4
LSH

Thank you, guys. I'm proud of him for going and standing for what he believed in, and sad that he ended up giving his life for it.
I will pass along your condolences to Ryan. He's still trying to come to terms. I'm sure it's shaken his sense of immortality.
I appreciate the words and kind thoughts and prayers!
Old 08-15-2004, 10:15 PM   #5
Borderstone

My best wishes to you and your son Laurel,I hate war too even though I've never been in one or in the military.

I never said anything up here about it before but in Nov. 2002,I was actually trying to be inducted into the Army. I didn't pass my physical but all around me were young men & women who did and as I left the downtown building,I looked at the faces of all these young people who just might be going to war. (I belived at the time it wouldn't happen.)

I can't help but wonder now,how many of them are not here anymore out of those I talked to and saw coming and going. Reminds me of the scene in Good Morning Vietnam when stopped in the roadway Williams entertains some troops for a few minutes and then when they start to leave he watches these yuong men that may not return.

Like the now late Edwin Starr said,"War,what is it good for,absolutley nothing." That's not just a song...it's the truth. +
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 10:23 PM   #6
violet Blue Horse

I'm sorry. I extend my sympathies.
Old 08-15-2004, 11:20 PM   #7
LSH

Thank you Violet, it is deeply appreciated...
Old 08-16-2004, 10:36 AM   #8
Oma

LSH,

So very sorry...please accept my condolences...
Oma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 01:13 PM   #9
brink

Laurel, How awful to have this hit so close to home for you and your son. As a Mother we all have had that feeling of Thank God it wasn't mine. But it still shakes us to our bones. I still wear a bracelet of a missing Minnesota Marine from the Vietnam "Conflict", not as often as I used to, but I think of that family so often. I have a friend here in town whose son is in Fahluja (sp?)we worry. I hope that in our life time we won't have to worry about our sons or daughters anymore. So sorry for your son and you. Hang in there, take care and we all care.
brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 06:09 PM   #10
LSH

Thank you so much, all of you. There really aren't any words to describe what I feel for this young man's family. I only met him a time or two, but he and Ry were close. He has some good memories to carry with him. I'm so glad my son didn't join up. It was a serious consideration for a bit. I'm not ashamed to say I talked him out of it. I have one child, and I'd like to keep him, thank you very much.
Anyway, Ryan and I appreciate all your kind words and thoughts. The support does make a difference. what a wonderful bunch of people you are, diverse and interesting and caring!