banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 07-24-2009, 06:38 PM   #1
Tim

Default "OVER ME" Should we do it??

Hey y'all,

I am about to attend Gord's concert at Wolftrap on Sunday evening with 7 other avid Gord fans. I was thinking, since it is very likely he will perform "Ribbon of Darkness" followed by "Sundown" when he gets to the pause near the end of ROD, should we all sing out the final line: "OVER ME"

I've wanted to do that ever since he started playing those two songs together a few years back.

What do you think, should we do it, or not??
Old 07-24-2009, 06:47 PM   #2
RM

Default Re: "OVER ME" Should we do it??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
What do you think, should we do it, or not??
DO IT !
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 09:57 PM   #3
formerlylavender

My sentiments exactly - do it!
formerlylavender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 10:01 PM   #4
podunklander

ok I'll chime in too while I'm here..DITTO lol
Old 07-24-2009, 11:20 PM   #5
buzzard

You've wanted to do it. Everybody thinks you should do it. It's a no-brainer. DO IT.
buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 03:39 AM   #6
Tim

Thanks much everybody. I guess the early returns show "DO IT" taking it in a landslide. I'll let you know how it turns out.

By the way, some good friends of mine were at the Chautauqua, NY show last night (Friday, 24 July). Not many details thus far, but through a cell phone text msg they said the show was really good! Looking forward to Sunday night at Wolftrap.
Old 07-25-2009, 03:51 PM   #7
patybear

Go for it! I was at the Chautauqua show last night(07/24/09)and Gordy did the same thing- sang the words,'ribbon of darkness' then paused.Someone in the audience sang out 'over me'.Gord stoppped,looked in the direction of the singer(s),pointed and grinned like the cat that swallowed the canary.I wish I'd been able to snap
a picture of Gordy pointing and smiling,but I wasn't quite fast enough with my camera.
patybear
patybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 11:48 AM   #8
xrickx

That was my wife (Meg) who, after some texting from Tim, shouted out Over Me! What a great show, what a great venue to see GL. So intimate. I chatted with Rick Haynes before the show as he was sitting on a bench out back. Very pleasant man. I'll try and post my pics.
xrickx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 12:01 PM   #9
xrickx

Old 07-26-2009, 01:27 PM   #10
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

Ah the old debate - sit there like you're in a church for a funeral ? or have a good time ? hmmm???. I know some folks cross the line, particularly when stoned (legacy term) but most times it's just fun and well appreciated by GL and the boys.

So my vote is Go ahead, just make sure you all do it at the same time, and that you're nearly on key !!! Have a great time. Wish we could have made it this year.

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 03:21 PM   #11
Tim

Great pictures Rick! And congrats to Meg on the singing! We'll let you know how it turns out tonight.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:33 PM   #12
joveski

great pics!.

the funny thing in the last one if that he's wearing shorts and what looks like woolen cardigan!
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 10:50 PM   #13
xrickx

That 3rd pic is at the sound check, about 4pm, show started at 8:15pm. I thought they were piping his music into the amphitheater, and I looked over and saw it was actually them.
Old 07-26-2009, 11:08 PM   #14
charlene

he reminds me of little lord fauntleroy in his knickers and waist coat..
lol
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 12:05 AM   #15
Tim

That's pretty neat that you caught the sound check session, Rick. That would be fun to sit through one of those sessions.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:54 PM   #16
patybear

I was also lucky enough to see part of the sound check.My bf and I were just sort of wandering around before the concert,killing time.
When we passed by the ampitheater,we could hear the gang just kinda warming up.When I stopped walking and said,"I don't believe it!"-my bf just looked at me like I was crazy. I snapped a pic of Gordy sitting on the stage by himself,just softly strumming his guitar.The photo didn't turn out real good-I'm trying to get it cleaned up.If I can manage to get a better version,I'll try to post it.
patybear
patybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 09:19 PM   #17
3pennies

2 guys did it in Morristown last night. I was one of them. He looks for it.
3pennies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 09:45 PM   #18
Tim

We may be starting a trend here. We should keep it up! I asked Gordon after the Wolf Trap show why he puts the pause in there and if he minded if it gets filled with people singing the words.

He replied that he pauses at that point to "hook the audience." And he didn't seem to mind at all to have the words filled in by audience members. On stage he really seem to enjoy it when my brother, son and I did it at Wolf Trap.
Old 08-01-2009, 07:29 PM   #19
Tim

After hearing Jenney's description of an "Over Me" being sung out by an audience member, out of tempo, I remember Bill's stern guidance that we be "on key." But I guess it's important to be on tempo too.

So, during the day, prior to the Wolf Trap concert, my brother hosted a family gathering at his house in Northern Virginia. A good part of that time was spent on the deck rehearsing the "Over Me." I played that final portion of ROD on my guitar (with the capo on the second fret, in order to be in the exact key) and my brother and son and I must have rehearsed that line at least 25 times! When the moment came at the concert, I think the rehearsal paid off. Being on-key and on-tempo is a good thing.