banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 03-25-2004, 03:18 PM   #1
Borderstone

Hey folks! After work yesterday,I went downtown to Tracks In Wax my local oldies record store. (Now that the one that was closer has stopped selling vinyl! )

While there I looked in their self-made catalouge of 45rpm's and saw listed under Lightfoot,G.:The Way I Feel w/ Peaceful Waters! I took note of the catalouge #,9114 and gave it to the owner and he went in the back stock room where he keeps the 50s & 60s (he's had trouble with shoplifters.)

He came back out and not only was it Gordons single,it was a white label DJ promo copy!
It has a black square on the front that says "plug side",which I'm guessing means the side that should be played on the radio.
Except for an x marked on the front and some kind of serial # hand written on it (nitwits!) it's in fabulous shape!The vinyls even clear and at the bottom it says made in U.S.A.
All for only $4 plus tax,I now have proof that there really were GL singles in America before 1970! (That's proof that I can see and not just hear about.) I'm now guessing that with the failure of this song to make the top 40 here,that's why they made the electric version and gave his next LP that title.
Well,just thought I'd share my good luck! Been me,later!

------------------
Borderstone,gonna post some lines tonight!

[This message has been edited by Borderstone (edited March 25, 2004).]
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 05:40 PM   #2
classicmixdj

You are right Borderstone...the plug side was the side intended for airplay. I'm surprised that the record had a different flip side. Radio stations used to receive copies with the stereo version on one side and mono on the other. The mono side was intended for radio stations (pre AM stereo) on the AM dial (mono to prevent an audio phasing problem).
classicmixdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 08:52 PM   #3
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy

quote:Originally posted by Borderstone:
Hey folks! After work yesterday,I went downtown to Tracks In Wax my local oldies record store. (Now that the one that was closer has stopped selling vinyl! )

While there I looked in their self-made catalouge of 45rpm's and saw listed under Lightfoot,G.:The Way I Feel w/ Peaceful Waters! I took note of the catalouge #,9114 and gave it to the owner and he went in the back stock room where he keeps the 50s & 60s (he's had trouble with shoplifters.)

He came back out and not only was it Gordons single,it was a white label DJ promo copy!
It has a black square on the front that says "plug side",which I'm guessing means the side that should be played on the radio.
Except for an x marked on the front and some kind of serial # hand written on it (nitwits!) it's in fabulous shape!The vinyls even clear and at the bottom it says made in U.S.A.
All for only $4 plus tax,I now have proof that there really were GL singles in America before 1970! (That's proof that I can see and not just hear about.) I'm now guessing that with the failure of this song to make the top 40 here,that's why they made the electric version and gave his next LP that title.
Well,just thought I'd share my good luck! Been me,later!

After Gord made the acoustic version, which didn't have a lot of success as a single in the USA, he redid it as the electric version, much like Simon and Garfunkel did with Sounds Of Silence. He had high hopes that it would launch his career in the states, but we all know that didn't really happen until they released IYCRMM. I do recall hearing a good many of Gord's '60s songs on the radio, but only because I live on the New Brunswick border and used to listen to WCSJ-AM out of St. John. I can't say that his tunes impressed me a lot, at least not in the way they do now, but then again, I was just a dumb kid at the time.
I love the song, both versions, and also the version on Beautiful. I think it's the best song on the tribute album. Even my 19 year old son thinks it's cool.

Cathy http://www.cathycowette.com
Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 12:52 AM   #4
classicmixdj

Another thing record companys would do for radio stations is put the long play version(album version) of a song on one side and the short "hit version" on the flip side. I recall playing verions on the air at the time of "Circle Is Small" and "Wreck of The Edmund Fitzgerald". There was a lot of latitude at the time at the station I worked for and as a result I found myself opting for the long play versions. One of the engineers I worked with told me that short versions were like cutting the corner off the Mona Lisa. He had a point.

If you've every heard "Amie" by Pure Prarie League without "Falling In An Out Of Love" or the chopped version of "American Pie" you know what I mean. Billy Joel in "The Entertainer" got it right "...so they cut it down to 3:05..."...(a song about the record industry).

[This message has been edited by classicmixdj (edited March 25, 2004).]
Old 03-26-2004, 03:06 AM   #5
Doug Letcher

Good find B.S.!!!!!!
Doug Letcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 01:12 PM   #6
SomewhereupinMichigan

quote:Originally posted by classicmixdj:
Another thing record companys would do for radio stations is put the long play version(album version) of a song on one side and the short "hit version" on the flip side. I recall playing verions on the air at the time of "Circle Is Small" and "Wreck of The Edmund Fitzgerald". There was a lot of latitude at the time at the station I worked for and as a result I found myself opting for the long play versions. One of the engineers I worked with told me that short versions were like cutting the corner off the Mona Lisa. He had a point.

If you've every heard "Amie" by Pure Prarie League without "Falling In An Out Of Love" or the chopped version of "American Pie" you know what I mean. Billy Joel in "The Entertainer" got it right "...so they cut it down to 3:05..."...(a song about the record industry).

[This message has been edited by classicmixdj (edited March 25, 2004).]

Classic: Where and during what time period were you a commercial dj? I worked in mid-Michigan AM and FM radio from '73-'85.
SomewhereupinMichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 12:17 AM   #7
classicmixdj

74 to 90...stations in the Cincinnati/Dayton Mertroplex...Milwaukee, WI, and San Antonio Texas...

[This message has been edited by classicmixdj (edited March 26, 2004).]
Old 03-29-2004, 03:45 PM   #8
Borderstone

Thank you Doug! I knew it was great that I found it but to get a DJ promo,WOW!

Speaking of American Pie (radio version) I have that 45 and all I can say is,what a gratuitous insult to Don Maclean!!! Later!

------------------
Borderstone,gonna post some lines tonight!:D
Old 05-16-2004, 01:40 AM   #9
Borderstone

No,I didn't know it had a pic. sleeve!

That would be a major find! I knew one of his 1st labels was ABC-Paramount and that there were 45's but I didn't know anyy were put out here! Wow! You're a bundle of info. Frank! Keep up the good work!

------------------
"A knight of the road,going back to a place where he might get warm." - Borderstone