banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 03-18-2011, 11:37 AM   #1
Doug

Send a message via AIM to Doug
Default BBC Concert 1972

Without going into detail I'll just say I was able to use appropriate software to re-encode the PAL info into a NTSC format. Several members here have received the resulting discs and are quite satisfied with the results.

I'm not selling or trading but if any of you are interested in an NTSC disc, let me know via PM (private message in the upper right hand corner of this window) and I think I can help you out.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:48 AM   #2
charlene

Default Re: BBC Concert 1972

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Without going into detail I'll just say I was able to use appropriate software to re-encode the PAL info into a NTSC format. Several members here have received the resulting discs and are quite satisfied with the results.

I'm not selling or trading but if any of you are interested in an NTSC disc, let me know via PM (private message in the upper right hand corner of this window) and I think I can help you out.
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 06:34 PM   #3
TC

I thank you again Doug. You did a good job.
TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 06:44 PM   #4
Doug

Send a message via AIM to Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC View Post
I thank you again Doug. You did a good job.
It's good to be useful in life!
Old 03-18-2011, 06:53 PM   #5
charlene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
It's good to be useful in life!
and useful to own a MAC !
Old 03-18-2011, 08:05 PM   #6
jj

Char, I believe there are versions of Handbrake and Toast for Windows

Doug and other's tips were very helpful & appreciated!

Test it out on the Sexsmith (which I haven't seen yet on YouTube)

I took the mp4 files over to the iPhone and between the sound quality and headphones and that Retina display, the show has been 'on the road' and in top form.... So crisp for a four decade old production...hey, iPad2's look fun
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 08:13 PM   #7
jj

Btw, any others made an audio cd?

(although enjoyable, took out the between song banter and shook up the song sequencing eg. had to open with 10 Degrees, just cos it was SO hot!)
Old 03-18-2011, 09:56 PM   #8
banjobench12

Dare I ask how to make a cd of this? I'd live to get it in my itunes library
banjobench12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 11:02 PM   #9
2silent2breal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj View Post
Btw, any others made an audio cd?

(although enjoyable, took out the between song banter and shook up the song sequencing eg. had to open with 10 Degrees, just cos it was SO hot!)
I did extract the audio and put it in my iTunes library. I kept everything intact though. I split the band intros as a separate track. I stream iTunes to my stereo and the show sounds great.

I would be happy to send out a few CD's.

Mark

Last edited by 2silent2breal; 03-18-2011 at 11:05 PM.
2silent2breal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 12:45 AM   #10
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjobench12 View Post
If you have it in mp4 format (previous advice was to use Handbrake to do this using vob files as the source) then http://www.howtodothings.com/electro...p4-to-mp3.html

Myself, I generate files in aif format which iTunes converts to mp3 upon import

Interesting, Mark. I took liberty in resequencing songs when I realized BBC had done same to some degree although he does close with CRT

Notice him drop to his knees after that?
Notice Red change tuning of low string after the first number?
Notice Rick mouthing backing box in SSOL?
Notice Gord blow smoke before MOTD?
Notice the guitar change that was, and wasn't?

Gord seemed to pull out a flatpick before taking to the stool for Affair but he's fingerpicking throughout that one, no?

I wouldn't mind seeing Gord periodically take to the stool these days...Rick too
Old 03-19-2011, 12:35 PM   #11
2silent2breal

JJ you've picked up a lot of subtleties that I've missed. I will be watching for those things the next time I watch. No retina screen, but it looks great on the iPad. That's one of many nice things about managing music on a computer these days. Playlists and such are so easy to experiment with. Mr. Lightfoot had mentioned on more than one occasion that the order of the songs on Cold on the Shoulder were all wrong, so I have tried to switch things around a few times just for the fun of it. The only thing I've done that worked for me was to start with what was the second side of the original LP as that was how I used to listen to it Oh so many years ago.

I am a Mac user as well and used DVD Remaster to extract the audio to an aif and then Sound Studio to separate the tracks. Neither of these programs are free but there are several on both the Mac and PC side that are free including handbrake and final vinyl. I've gotten into repurposing a lot of my old LP's to digital as well as recording Austin City Limits shows and extracting the audio.
Old 03-19-2011, 12:37 PM   #12
charlene

I noticed the knee drop, the smoke and the several tmes he had that wry little grin when looking at Red..
Old 03-19-2011, 10:15 PM   #13
charlene

hey - did Red have a tattoo on the top of his right hand betwen thumb and forefinger??
Old 03-25-2011, 03:05 PM   #14
lighthead2toe

MY GOOD GOD!

This has got to be some of the most incredible stuff I've seen in my life!

It's like a dream from a past life exploded in my brain. Is it real or what?

I went through every video and back again to wallow in the tears of joy a second time.

Thankful to all who made this happen. Blessed also and thankful am I to have lived through an era in Toronto when these performances would occur and when they did I would ride on the high just long enough to catch up with the next one.

To have this come into your living room merely by the click on a button is gift beyond gifts.

Very very much appreciated.
lighthead2toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 08:16 PM   #15
Moosedog

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjobench12 View Post
I've often used www.mediaconverter.org to convert Youtube links into audio files. It walks you through it...you literally just enter the Youtube link and tell it what format you want it converted to. I haven't tried it with this particular Youtube link, but it should work.

Vickie
Moosedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 01:23 AM   #16
brink-

I can not believe the things you all noticed. I must be sitting here with my eyes closed, of course I don't notice the guitar stuff (pick and guitar not a guitar) but the other stuff. Well this has just convinced me that I need to watch it again 5 or 6 times
brink- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 04:22 AM   #17
Andy T.

Send a message via AIM to Andy T.

I found myself not watching - just listening - GL has always been much more an audio thing for me than visual. So the things I noticed were in the sound. And considering there were a couple of lyrical goofs on Gord's part I can see how perfectionist Gord might not want this out there. I bet he wasn't happy to have them aired in the first place. But it was interesting to see how Red and Rick covered for the goofs. But when on Farewell to Nova Scotia, when Gord sang the verses out of order, and the final verse came early, I was very interested in hearing how they "get out of that one" so to speak. Not knowing how the arrangement of that song was typically performed at that time, it's hard to say how well they did, Red's ending licks seemed a bit improvised, but still sufficient.

I'd thought I'd heard this one before, but I guess I was wrong. I'm glad to have it out there, it was a great show. I'll probably try the torrent next, (did the youtube thing first - and by the way, how was that possible, I thought you clips that long weren't allowed on youtube??) and then copy the audio tracks.

-Andy T.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:27 AM   #18
jj

I suggest sourcing your audio from the torrents contents for what I fell is superior sound vs the YouTube load

But if your listening on earbuds or pc speakers it's not a big diff

This deserves to be heard on the best audio projection you have available and is about 500x more stunning than the Reno production, IMO, and Gord would be foolish not to release this worldwide one day

If only the video masters still existed it would be awesome to have a new final cut improving on the intensity by capturing more of Red's work, audience cutaways ( doncha love them?), etc, etc

There is a heap of quality early audio including Sunday concert so it's about time we were able to VIEW the master(s) in action

Question
Have any members turned on other non-member fans or better yet, those who were totally ignorant to Lighfoot, by sending the YouTube link or sitting with them and taking in the DVD? It's so wonderful to share the wealth and see the lightbulb come on with others (although my wife couldn't get past his hair and also said that the audience looked bored...oh well, lol)
Old 03-26-2011, 10:05 AM   #19
formerlylavender

My husband has watched the DVD twice with me. He really likes it. He loves that time period anyway and SSOL is his favorite GL album. He couldn't believe that all that great sound was made with only three guitars - at first he was convinced there was a drummer hiding somewhere, lol. He's a huge Stones fan, btw, and probably wouldn't know any Gord beyond Sundown if it wasn't for me

I forwarded the youtube SSOL song link to my sister. I made her a mixed GL tape years ago and she mentioned SSOL as being one of her favorites, so I thought she'd appreciate seeing the song performed live. She's not a huge fan and said she liked it, but nothing beyond that
formerlylavender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 10:06 AM   #20
charlene

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj View Post
(although my wife couldn't get past his hair and also said that the audience looked bored...oh well, lol)
Like Michelle I have a hard time getting past the hair - ..t hat 's why I spend all my time looking at his lips...
Old 03-26-2011, 01:04 PM   #21
Lisa J

Send a message via AIM to Lisa J

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
Like Michelle I have a hard time getting past the hair - ..t hat 's why I spend all my time looking at his lips...

good for you, back to the lips!
Lisa J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 01:09 PM   #22
Lisa J

Send a message via AIM to Lisa J

[quote=jj;170977]
Question
Have any members turned on other non-member fans or better yet, those who were totally ignorant to Lighfoot, by sending the YouTube link or sitting with them and taking in the DVD? quote]

a little off track, but my mom's a fan who has fallen by the wayside of late, due to the weakness of gord's voice. However, while she was recoverying from surgery recently, I put my copy of the concert into her DVD player and it made her day. Her face took on the expression that i imagine mine does while watching.... total, blissful peace. (Mixed in with a little admiration for a very fine looking man!)
Lisa J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 10:52 PM   #23
Peter Bro10

Any word on where this concert took place and an exact date??

Great concert... what a gem!

Peter Bro10
Peter Bro10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 11:05 PM   #24
charlene

BBC studios - London, England - recorded spring 1972, aired later in 1972 from what I understand..
Old 04-14-2011, 08:48 AM   #25
TC

This is probably the best Lightfoot footage I've seen. It's the first time I've watched a concert featuring Red Shea. Unfortunate the camera crew didn't capture more of his finger work. They probably didn't think he was doing anything (judging by the ever pleasant casual look on his face) and the fact that he rarely looked at his fret board...how did he do that?
TC is offline   Reply With Quote