banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 05-31-2004, 02:31 AM   #1
MatthewBullis

Hello, anyone have an interpretation of Let It Ride? I'm especially wondering about the lines:
I knew a man from Windsor went to Detroit every night,
Stateside of the tunnel custom agents gave him fright.
He hid his stash in the river put his bedroll on the ground.
And when they finally got there a sleeping man was all they found.

Did this man traffic drugs across the border then, or is this a metaphor for something else? At the beginning of the song, Gord says these statements are not connected, but they had to originate from somewhere. I've never seen this song analyzed, so I'd like to open it up for discussion.
Matthew
Old 05-31-2004, 02:31 AM   #2
MatthewBullis

Hello, anyone have an interpretation of Let It Ride? I'm especially wondering about the lines:
I knew a man from Windsor went to Detroit every night,
Stateside of the tunnel custom agents gave him fright.
He hid his stash in the river put his bedroll on the ground.
And when they finally got there a sleeping man was all they found.

Did this man traffic drugs across the border then, or is this a metaphor for something else? At the beginning of the song, Gord says these statements are not connected, but they had to originate from somewhere. I've never seen this song analyzed, so I'd like to open it up for discussion.
Matthew
Old 05-31-2004, 10:27 PM   #3
Tyler

Sure sounds like a drug run to me. As far as not being connected, it sounds like another story song of Gords.
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 10:27 PM   #4
brink

Sure sounds like a drug run to me. As far as not being connected, it sounds like another story song of Gords.
brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 07:04 PM   #5
Borderstone

I just read the lyrics and aside from these already here,it sounds almost like he's saying a good-bye to the listner. Remember,most folks thought this was going to be his last album back in '86 (given the sythesized or unemotional styles of some 80's music,that was a justified thought.)

It sounds like he's reflecting on the past (then) 25 years of his career. The ladies he's talking about are either very close and one-night acquaintences or else ladies of the evening that he and friends met on tour.

Maybe he's just saying he rolled with the punches of life and career and let it ride.
As for the above lyrics,they're not anything having to do with him personally,as he mentioned,so maybe it's some sort of cryptic example or comparison of some sort. Otherwise,it beats the heck out of me!

Been me,Aurevoir!

------------------
"A knight of the road,going back to a place where he might get warm." - Borderstone
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote