banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 11-25-2009, 08:27 PM   #1
lighthead2toe

Default The Massing at Massey 2009

Hey there gang.

Wow! Wasn't that something?

Four nights with the "House of Gord" full each night. It just doesn't get any better than that eh?

The total surprise of everything for me was how his voice has just really bounced back since his illness. It was very moving.

Also it was so great to experience the joy of seeing again my family and the wonderful friends, many who post here and to hang out with them. Meeting the new fans and becoming friends with them is always a plus. It was just so much fun all packed into the few days we had.

A big thank you to the Wallace family for opening the doors of their lovely home to us and sharing their kind hospitality and mostly for letting us play the Lightfoot tunes in their beautiful living room.

Thanks to the folks who shared their pics and videos. This is a special treat for us all here and to JJ, Lori, Dan, Jenny, John, Char and forgive me if I left out a name, but thanks to all.

The pub jam turned out to be huge success thanks to the help of so many talented folks who performed for us.

They surely deserve a mention here.

We had Rex (The Rez) up from California with his booming voice sharing with us the mixed influence of Steve Earle and Gord.

Mike (mandomyk) down from Ottawa sharing tunes on the bass. Mike and I go back many years.

Kenyon, probably the youngest of the lot. (I refer to him as "my son") This is one talented guy believe me. He sang and also backed me up on lead guitar.

We had TG with us once again for some cool boomin' bass sounds. (Carefree Highway was cool TG. Many thanks)

The duo of John Stinson and Paul Bartlett.
They were trained by Red Shea, the former lead guitar player for Gordon Lightfoot and it shows. If you really want to hear the Lightfoot sounds of the early years, check these guys out. They also play gigs.

And finally, the mellifluous voice of Melissa.
One talented lady among all that masculine exuberance. She closed the show for us and it could not have ended in a better way. She arrived unexpectedly but when I saw her and Deb running up to say hi I knew we had it sealed. Hugs M.

The gal with the glue who makes it all happen here and in a most competent manner also I might add is no stranger to us all deserves the most honorable mention. We're talking about, well who?

It's CHAR of course.

Hey Char, we all love you in our own special way. The big bucks will come. You'll just need patience.

Roll on May 2011.

Cheers, RJ.

Also my thanks go out to everyone who helped in making the pub jam a huge success.
lighthead2toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 12:09 AM   #2
brink-

Default Re: The Massing at Massey 2009

Nice post Ron, you really summed up the whole experience. It is wonderful to see everyone, listen (since I am not musical) to the jams and Gord is a fantastic bonus. It all goes by way too fast. I am still trying to recover and I realize I didn't nearly get to do all that I wanted to.

Liam's new song is great, he is such a talent. Just like his dad.
brink- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 12:41 AM   #3
lighthead2toe

Thanks Deb. It was great to see you and as you say time flew by way too fast. But at least you made it up to catch the Massey experience once again and it seems to keep getting better.

I will forward on your post to Liam as that tune is on the long overdue CD we've working on and will ensure that you get a copy of the final product once we get the graphic end of things complete.

Cheers, RJ.
Old 11-26-2009, 03:28 PM   #4
JohnStinson

Hi Ron,

It was great. Thanks for organizing it once again. I'll join in anytime. Wherever. Some very memorable moments listening.. from Melissa and Kenyan and all.

Hope to do it again real soon.

John Stinson
JohnStinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 03:45 PM   #5
charlene

thanks RJ!
I am still replaying every moment from last week in a very serious PMS..Post Massey Syndrome..we've all got it real bad this time.
Every night had Lightfoot top the previous evening and there were several memorable moments for sure. I had my tissues out one night for IYCRMM and had to give one to Sparky..the dedications to Ingrid were lovely and as always Restless makes me realize how precious life is.
The pubjams and afternoon at the Wallace house were gems for sure - walking up and down Yonge Street, thru the Eaton Centre, down to the jams, dinners at the Elephant & Castle, Mr. Greenjeans and Swiss Chalet, brunches at Frans...after show drinks at the Imperial and Marriott bars..all with good friends and great fans. But for a bit of rain one day the weather was extraordinary for Toronto in November so I'm glad for that. I hate the cold.
Missing past attendees but meeting new ones is always part of the experience as is seeing how fast 4 days and nights can really speed by and now enduring how long 18 months till the next one will really seem.
There will be other venues to see Lightfoot in 2010 but none compare to The Church of Gord on Shuter Street.
Amen.
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 09:54 PM   #6
lighthead2toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnStinson View Post
Hi Ron,

It was great. Thanks for organizing it once again. I'll join in anytime. Wherever. Some very memorable moments listening.. from Melissa and Kenyan and all.

Hope to do it again real soon.

John Stinson
Thanks John and yes those memorable moments will live with me until next time.
Your contribution, together with Paul created a significant part of the package.

The wonderful turnout of talented folks just help me find the missing pieces to all the empty spaces and I hope that we can do it all again.

Cheers, RJ.
Old 11-26-2009, 10:15 PM   #7
lighthead2toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
thanks RJ!
I am still replaying every moment from last week in a very serious PMS..Post Massey Syndrome..we've all got it real bad this time.
Every night had Lightfoot top the previous evening and there were several memorable moments for sure. I had my tissues out one night for IYCRMM and had to give one to Sparky..the dedications to Ingrid were lovely and as always Restless makes me realize how precious life is.
The pubjams and afternoon at the Wallace house were gems for sure - walking up and down Yonge Street, thru the Eaton Centre, down to the jams, dinners at the Elephant & Castle, Mr. Greenjeans and Swiss Chalet, brunches at Frans...after show drinks at the Imperial and Marriott bars..all with good friends and great fans. But for a bit of rain one day the weather was extraordinary for Toronto in November so I'm glad for that. I hate the cold.
Missing past attendees but meeting new ones is always part of the experience as is seeing how fast 4 days and nights can really speed by and now enduring how long 18 months till the next one will really seem.
There will be other venues to see Lightfoot in 2010 but none compare to The Church of Gord on Shuter Street.
Amen.
Hey Char,

I'm not sure exactly what it is that I have but the classic symptom is waking up in the morning singing "Song for A Winter's Night"."

I'm pumped and if I don't get out there soon and crank out a few Lightfoot tunes the valve is going to burst.

It sure was a week of weeks and now that Gord's voice is bouncing back we can "accentuate on the positive" and look forward to the more enjoyable times ahead.

It was great seeing you and Lisa again.

Hugs.

RJ.
Old 11-27-2009, 04:01 AM   #8
T.G.

Yes, thanks to all involved in organizing the pub jam. It was a privilege to take part in some small way. Lots of talent on display, giving a creditable tribute to The Man himself. See ya all in 2011, God willing.
T.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 01:34 PM   #9
lighthead2toe

Great having you with us once again TG. Your contribution was big and precise.

I've been playing "Carefree Highway" and "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" with the capo on the second fret of the B45 now and it's pretty cool that way. Mainly because it's the right way.

We'll do it again next time.

Cheers, RJ.
Old 11-27-2009, 08:03 PM   #10
Kenyon

I couldn't agree more with Ron. What a wonderful time we had. It was a pleasure to hear so many talented musicians at the Pub Jam and in my living room! I know my parents got a big kick out of it. It was so great to see so many familiar faces and meet several new ones too. Especially Eva, who came all the way from Germany to see Lightfoot for the first time ever. Now that's dedication!

Massey 2011 can't come soon enough.
Kenyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 08:32 PM   #11
charlene

I'd never have dreamed that Eva would be over here for Massey 2009 when I first started e-mailing with her a year or so ago. I guess I was more persuasive than I thought!
lol
She had the time of her life meeting new people, coming to Toronto, seeing a concert in Massey Hall and then actually meeting Gordon..
wow..

We had a grand time with your parents Kenyon - we should all get together downtown for dinner one night..

the 'gap' year ahead with no Massey will seem so long....
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 10:58 PM   #12
buzzard

Let me echo the comments made on this thread. So many to thank:

• Char for all the organizing efforts
• Ron for hooking us up at McVeigh’s
• The talented musicians who performed
• The other fine folks and fans who make this such an enjoyable event .

It gets better each time. I’m looking forward to May 2011.

Brian
buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote