banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 03-19-2014, 03:01 AM   #1
imported_Ordinary_Man

Default Columbia MO -- March 18, 2014 --Missouri Theatre

The Watchman's Gone
Waiting For You
All The Lovely Ladies
I'd Rather Press On
A Painter Passing Through
Christian Island
Rainy Day People
Shadows
Beautiful
Carefree Highway
Cotton Jenny
Ribbon Of Darkness
Sundown
Did She Mention My Name

Intermission -- "We'll be right back!"

Sweet Guinevere
The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald
Never Too Close
14 Karat Gold
Wild Strawberries
Clouds of Loneliness
Let It Ride
Fine As Fine Can Be
If You Could Read My Mind
Restless
Baby Step Back
Early Morning Rain
Song for a Winter's Night

Old Dan's Records (Encore)

Red Jacket, 1st set
Blue Jacket, 2nd set

Gord's vocals a bit weak early but improved as the evening went on, as always seems to be the case. Sounded great in the second set.

A large contingent of us finished the "over me" in Ribbon of Darkness. The crowd giggled, Gord grinned and said "I may have to hire you folks!" Then the unmistakeable intro to Sundown.

Introduced Fine As Fine Can Be by explaining it was written for his first daughter when she was 10 years old. "10 years old! That was a long time ago. I used to have her come on the stage while I sang it at the piano. Later I thought it was a bit sappy. But it's a good song."

Carter got applause several times for solo work which he acknowledged with a smile and a bow of his head. Gord had the whole band stand up after The Wreck and If You Could Read My Mind, both of which got long applause and deservedly so.

Was surprised to hear Song for A Winter's Night since it's almost spring (I hope). But I never tire of hearing it. Was hoping to hear Now and Then, a personal favorite which I've never heard live. Maybe another time.

Gord said "we haven't been here in 14 years!". My friends and I were at that show too. It was in November of 2000 at Jesse Auditorium on the Mizzou Campus a few blocks away. This show was at the beautiful Missouri Theatre and appeared to be sold out.

That's about all I can think of. Another great show.

Steve
imported_Ordinary_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 11:12 AM   #2
Sentimental

Default Re: Columbia MO -- March 18, 2014 --Missouri Theatre

I attended this concert with my 22 yr old son. Gord was so engaging with the crowd. My son (and of course me) loved everything and every song. The theater is a beautiful old one with lots of charm. Our seats were quite far back but still had a good view. I agree that his voice got better as the night continued.

Last night was a wonderful and memorable night. I was so proud to have my son with me. Who would have thought that in '75, when I saw him the first time, I would have my son with me 39 years later listening to the music I love so much.

The only disappointment was that he did not play Don Quixote, which is my son's favorite Gordon Lightfoot song.

I was fun when the crowd finished "over me" in Ribbon of Darkness. I think Gord really enjoyed that.

I regretfully missed the 2000 concert. Didn't know about it until it was over. I would have attended for sure.

Thanks for the set list. I was trying to write them down this morning and left out a few.
Sentimental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 01:16 PM   #3
Tim

Was there too. A great concert! Gordon's voice got stronger after the first few tunes. My family contributed to the "Over Me" from the 4th row. We even added a couple lines of harmony which I'm sure Gordon noticed because he looked over in our direction. The only down side was some obnoxious dude in the second set loudly yelling for Gordon to play "Edmund Fitzgerald" again. I'm sure that was brought on by generous quantities of alcohol. Gordon handled it well, laughing it off. I heard two tunes that I never heard Gord play before in my 22+ concerts over the past 38 years: Fine as Fine Can Be" and "Sweet Guinevere."

One other point of note, Gordon indicated, as he has in past years, how much he and the guys "appreciate the work" and how they do about 75 shows per year. No hint of any upcoming retirement. I hope that holds true. Have not seen any 2015 dates announced yet, but if last night is any indication, Gordon can continue to fill theaters for as long as he wants to continue to tour.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:29 PM   #4
charlene

Thanks for the setlist and reports! Sounds like everyone is really enjoying themselves-onstage and in the seats.

I'm sure Gord's planning 2015 in between 2014 concerts!
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 02:01 PM   #5
Tim

Char, if this blog offered a "Like" button for your post, I'd be hitting it! Thanks.
Old 03-19-2014, 02:07 PM   #6
imported_Ordinary_Man

Here are some pics from the 3rd row center if I am successful in posting them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2234.jpg
Views:	433
Size:	498.1 KB
ID:	6779   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2240.jpg
Views:	432
Size:	498.9 KB
ID:	6780   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2241.jpg
Views:	425
Size:	450.1 KB
ID:	6781   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2242.jpg
Views:	442
Size:	474.1 KB
ID:	6782  
imported_Ordinary_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:22 AM   #7
charlene

Rick pics:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Col.MI.jpg
Views:	412
Size:	244.0 KB
ID:	6792   Click image for larger version

Name:	Columbia-MI-.jpg
Views:	415
Size:	195.1 KB
ID:	6793  
Old 03-20-2014, 08:23 AM   #8
charlene

RICK: ......and Steve rolls the Stage Door Rig up to the Missouri Theater in Columbia for "an Evening with Gordon Lightfoot", just up the street from Jesse Hall, on the University Campus, where we played in 2000.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Columbia-Mi-RH.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	356.3 KB
ID:	6794