banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 10-03-2016, 12:11 AM   #1
lighthead2toe

Default Pub Jam Nov 2016

Hi Friends.

Well, it's truly amazing that we still have this wonderful opportunity to stage a get together for a few afternoon tunes at McVeigh's Pub once again during the festive week of Gord's Massey Hall concerts here in his hometown of Toronto. It is indeed an honour for me to host this event.

As usual we invite all to join us, many who have been with us over the years to step up to the open mike and just sing it out. The tunes are not restricted to Gord's material only. The choice is yours.

So, if you feel inclined, drop by anytime say after 2PM, Saturday, Nov 26th and we'll make some music.

McVeigh's Pub is located very close to Massey Hall on the southwest corner of Richmond and Church Streets.

If anyone needs help with anything please send me a private email here and we'll work things out.
lighthead2toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 04:03 PM   #2
T.G.

Default Re: Pub Jam Nov 2016

Dang, I've got a musical engagement at 5 p.m. in the Hamilton area that afternoon, doesn't look like I can make it ...
T.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 04:16 PM   #3
lighthead2toe

We'll miss you TG but enjoy your gig. Music is where it's at!

We're gearing up for making it a fun time. Looking forward to seeing our regular group of friends, meeting new ones, and hearing and sharing a few tunes.

Our talented friends Andy Mauck and Brady Corcoran are on board and this time my son, Liam promises to join us on stage sharing some of his writing. Dad and harmonizing son will more than likely crank out a Gord tune or two as well.

All are welcome to step up.

Looking forward to the festivities!
Old 10-29-2016, 04:45 PM   #4
Dan O'Malley

I Will be there, and cannot wait!!!
Old 10-30-2016, 01:53 PM   #5
buzzard

Great news Ron. I was hoping to hear that this would be happening again.
I will be there.
Thanks for your efforts in setting this up.

Brian
buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 03:16 PM   #6
lighthead2toe

Thanks guys.

It's always inspiring when interest begins to generate.

As usual my guitars will be available on stage. They are the same models as Gord uses and also set by Gord's luthier, John Laroque of "Ring Music." So we'll have perfect "intonation."

There's always a worry traveling with instruments, especially ones that have grown to be part of their owners.

Public transit is quite reasonable in Toronto and available from airports, train stations etc.
ttc.ca is the website for info, but as I mentioned if anyone needs help, please let me know in a private email from this website.
Old 11-09-2016, 01:58 AM   #7
T.G.

Might be able to make the first hour or so, if you can squeeze me in somewhere.
T.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 04:00 PM   #8
lighthead2toe

Yes, absolutely TG. We'll work things out to get you up there early in the game. Nice to know you're able to make it and we can catch up on things with you.

Lilly and Paul are trying to arrange to be there as well. They put on such a wonderful show in Orillia. It will be a bonus for everyone to catch their performance.
Old 11-23-2016, 02:59 AM   #9
Melissa

So very sorry I'm not there! Wish I could join you guys for all the festivities. I'll be with you in spirit as I cook my Thanksgiving feast on Thursday, and I'm hoping some of my Lighthead buddies will text me, email me, send me pics, etc., so I can enjoy the event from afar.
And I'm sure hoping the next Massey adventure might be in 18 months, instead of 24, thereby eliminating the conflict with Thanksgiving!
Hope you guys have a blast. Raise a glass and sing a tune for me at McVeigh's!

Have fun!
Melissa
Melissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 03:32 PM   #10
lighthead2toe

Hi there Melissa,
So sorry to hear you are unable to make it but we understand and Thanksgiving is a wonderful time to celebrate as well. We'll miss that "golden voice."
We'll try and ensure there pics etc. and things are gearing up for a fun filled afternoon of Gordsong and then it's over to Massey for the final concert this time round.
Hope to see you in 18 months!
Old 11-25-2016, 07:20 PM   #11
lighthead2toe

Just heading off to the Friday night concert now and things are looking real good for the pub jam tomorrow. Gord is in amazing form.

Also, a reminder that there's no rush to run off for food before the Saturday night concert as McVeigh's has a nice food menu and I've eaten there many times over the years.
I recall during a conversation I once had with Jimmy McVeigh Sr., he told me he would get up early and go to the St. Lawrence Market and buy food fresh to serve in his pub daily.

"See you all (next) Saturday"
Old 11-29-2016, 05:41 PM   #12
lighthead2toe

My apologies for the delay in getting this out.

All those late nights and burning of the candle at both ends is beginning to take it's toll on this aging dude but it sure was a lot of fun.

Recap of the pub jam 2016

Well it happened like it happened once before.
Without the wicked wind though because the weather on pub jam day was warm and dry. (for Nov)

Our thanks go out to the performers and of course to all and the many who travelled long distances to attend this special and now seemingly traditional event.

WE COULDN’T DO IT WITHOUT YOU!

On board this time we had our own classically trained student of Gord’s former lead guitar player, Red Shea; Paul Bartlett. Paul now has teamed up with a new convert to the Lightfoot community, Lilly Mason.

Lilly has the type of voice with a range that can blend into any singing style that the venue commands. Fortunately for us she has recently been hooked on the music of Gordon Lightfoot and attended her very first concert in Massey Hall with us on Saturday night. Together they charmed our audience with a selection of Gord’s songs and topped off their set with Joni Mitchell’s, “The River.”

A real show stopper for sure. Lilly is a very good songwriter and has her own recordings. She is also a very sweet person. Paul did his usual flawless fingerpicking with class. He spoke eloquently between songs and I very much appreciate his kind words. We look forward to seeing much more of Paul and Lilly.

Kenyon Wallace is our long time confidant and he came up to grace the stage with us.
Kenyon has the qualifications to pull off a show. He can pick out the lead notes, do the strumming and has the pipes to sound out those classic Lightfoot lyrics. Kenyon just went right into it with “Restless” and “Steel Rail Blues.”

He was joined by Scott Williamson on bass and when Scott picks up the bass we hear clearly all those memorable notes from the John Stockfish, Rick Haynes style of bass playing.

John Stinson then came to the stage and the band was there well polished to back him up.That man has the voice. The golden voice that pulls off those songs with the clarity of a bird in early spring. John sang it out with the guys backing him up which resulted in a sound like we would hear in the early Lightfoot era. We’re looking forward to his show in Port Perry next month when he appears with his Gordon Lightfoot Tribute Band which
includes Jimmy Jones on keyboard, Eric Kidd on lead guitar and Gord’s nephew, Steve Eyers on bass. All part of the legend living on. Can’t wait for that one.

Our very dear sweetheart Anne Przykucki once again made the trek up from The United States to share her entertaining skills with us in her own dignified manner as she has done in past performances.

Anne is a very dedicated Lightfoot fan and puts her own special style on the songs. Her version of “Black Day in July” has to be the most unique. She went into that song and lived it. It’s the first time ever that I’ve heard a female voice perform this most complex piece of work. It’s clear it has a very special meaning to her. She finished her set with “Sit Down Young Stranger” and the room went silent. Very moving version.

Anne is connected with “Street Jelly,” a live streaming internet connection which helps upcoming artists. She also performs at coffee houses in her community. Thank you Anne. You’re a jewel.

Once again and with a very warm welcome, also up from the United States we have our great friend, Andy Mauck. Andy has got to be one of the most relaxed guys I’ve ever seen up there doing his Gord act. And man, can he ever pull it off. Andy has the voice, the stance, the songs, the guitar parts and an added treat for us, the acting skills to do a one man show.

He went into that acting mode of Gord and the crowd yelled out “more acting.” Andy has an extensive repertoire and tends to go for the more obscure Lightfoot songs. “Looking at the Rain,” one of my favourites was one I thoroughly enjoyed. He did a killer job on “I’m Not Supposed to Care,” the song which is his wife, Dorothy’s favourite.
You’re a huge hit with us Andy. Please stay on the roster.

A most pleasant surprise was the arrival from Prince Edward Island, our friend and very knowledgeable Gordon Lightfoot guy, Wayne Francis.
Wayne has his own website: “Lightfoot.ca” and it’s the one that seems to produce the most printed out sheets of Gord songs and guitar chords.

Wayne was quick to spot those printouts sitting there on our music stands. Thanks so much Wayne for the great work you do keeping it all together.
Wayne arrived with his most beautiful looking and sounding Gibson B45 twelve string guitar and he knows how to play it.

The back up band was ready for Wayne’s performance and things began to jell quickly. He opened with “The Watchman’s Gone” and then pulled off a most powerful version of “The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald.” It’s a song that always needs to be included in any Gordon Lightfoot performance and Wayne, together with Kenyon on lead guitar and Scott on bass made it happen. Great stuff guys and thanks Wayne for joining us. Come back any time.

My son, Liam was there to help out with the sound. A most daunting task it is with the small space in which to work and keep track of it all with the switching of microphones etc. He did pretty good though. Thanks Liam.
Liam also performed the requested song he wrote called “A Gift For No Reason.” Liam clearly had a sneak visit into the reggae record collection of his Dad.

Together Liam and I finished off the afternoon with “Bitter Green” and “Don Quixote,” two songs we’ve been singing together over the years. It’s always a treat for me to sing with Liam. He knows the songs so well and as many times we’ve sung them they always come out sounding different in some unique way.

Another very pleasant surprise to compliment and be part our audience was Gord’s very beautiful and elegant wife, Kim.
Kim gave us a lot of stars and it was indeed an honour to have her presence among us. She is a very sweet person.

My thanks to all who contributed to help make the pub jam event a huge success.

A very special thanks to the performers who came through and gave us a most diverse entertaining afternoon of songs celebrating the music of Gordon Lightfoot. We now look forward to our next event.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf pub jam 2016.pdf (37.7 KB, 454 views)
Old 12-03-2016, 08:44 AM   #13
jj

grand stuff, Ron.... I hope there are some great pics

you should have a radio show: A Lightfoot Home Companion ... all class, you are
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 12:51 PM   #14
lighthead2toe

Hey JJ,
Just trying to get into things more happy than blue.

You are very kind.