banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 05-18-2006, 10:05 PM   #26
stationmaster

Hey, here's a quiz! How many corfidians are named after song titles? Who can make a list?
stationmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 11:46 PM   #27
Janice

There are songs I hear that cause me to think of certain folks here at Corfid. Not because the lyrics necessarily remind me of them, but because of times shared or things I've witnessed surrounding them, that involve certain Lightfoot songs.

For instance, when I hear "Same Old Loverman" I think of Sir John and Susan. At one of the Saratoga Springs gatherings, John and Susan asked Ed to play this song during a Sunday afternoon jam session in the atrium of The Downtowner Motel. Ed did a marvelous job of it and the rest of the players just sat back and took in the beauty of listening to Ed and watching John and Susan dance. It was a very touching moment and I didn't know until long after the fact, why that song is so special to John and Susan. Now when I hear it, I think of them and see them dancing in my mind's eye.

Song For A Winter's Night reminds me of Cathy. During a different Saratoga Springs gathering, Cathy, Derek, Val, Melissa, Kim and I had a jam session late one night in Derek's room (ok, Cathy, Derek and Melissa jammed and Kim, Val and I listened). It was snowing outside and Derek's window overlooked the empty street with a lamp post reflecting the quiet beauty of the snowflakes tumbling down. As the last song of the night, Cathy played SFAWN and we turned out the lights in the room and watched the snow falling outside the window as she sang (and Melissa played the belt buckle since we didn't have any sleigh bells that trip - hey, you make do with what you have and it sounded pretty good, considering). I video taped this jam session and focussed the camera out the window during this song. It made for a perfect end to a fun night and the perfect end to the video.

Beautiful reminds me of Char. When I first met Char, this was her special song. Over the years, it's become not as special to her as it once was - or maybe it's just special for different reasons, now. But it still reminds me of her because she is such a beautiful person - she has a kindness and spirit that is unparalleled.

Like others have mentioned, Christian Island reminds me of Bru. Mainly because it is her healing song - the song that chases away all bad things in life, even if it's just for a few moments while listening to it. Because of *her* strength of conviction, I can almost believe that when I listen to it as well.

I'll Tag Along makes me think of Alan. Alan doesn't post here that often anymore. When I visited he and his family in England a few years ago, he took me on several day trips touring the Northern England country side. During our trips, he played a Lightfoot compilation tape that included this song. I really wasn't all that familiar with it since I don't have the East Of Midnight CD, but I came to love this song and it quickly became one of my top five favorites. The funny thing is that Alan and I both found ourselves humming I'll Tag Along as we walked around villages, old churches and castles. I'm not sure if it was irony or if it was just the last song we heard before getting out of the car, but needless to say, "I'll Tag Along" with Alan anywhere and think of him anytime I hear that song.
Old 05-19-2006, 12:48 AM   #28
Janice

Quote:
Originally posted by stationmaster:
Hey, here's a quiz! How many corfidians are named after song titles? Who can make a list?
Stationmaster, there are 84 members (both active and non-active) whose screen names are based on a song title or commonly recognizable lyric. I can list them if you really want me to, but that would be a long list
Old 05-19-2006, 12:53 AM   #29
brink-

Janice,
What wonderful stories. Vivid memories for you and how nice of you to share them with us. Thank you.

Next time I see Melissa I will have to ask her how to play the belt buckle, that might be an instrument that even I can learn to play!
brink- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 06:33 AM   #30
charlene

ah yes - the belt buckle...a much maligned musical instrument......lol

By show time Melissa had some bells tho!!.....

Having a little too much 'real' life this past week or so I haven't thought too hard about this topic...

I'll give it some thought..Janice is right on about Sir John and Susan and Bru...

Beautiful is special now because of the memories of the May 2001 jam session at the Delta Chelsea and the surprise playing of it for me that made me cry and then here again at the Charbeque on that beautiful May day almost 6 years ago.

It has a special and new meaning to me now and that's what's important. I look at all of my Lighthead friends as Beautiful gifts to my life.

I'lll have to think on this when things settle down a bit...maybe get out the photo album with all the memories....
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 04:32 AM   #31
<jbt>

"Now and Then" reminds me of formerlavender. It's one of her favorite Gord songs and, I must proudly say, the imagery in this particular song paints a picture almost as moving and beautiful as the admirer herself.
Old 05-20-2006, 07:44 AM   #32
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

Quote:
Originally posted by &lt;jbt&gt;:
"Now and Then" reminds me of formerlavender. It's one of her favorite Gord songs and, I must proudly say, the imagery in this particular song paints a picture almost as moving and beautiful as the admirer herself.
Well said jbt ! How have you been ?

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 11:10 AM   #33
Sheryl

Send a message via AIM to Sheryl

Hi jbt, it's nice to hear from you again!!
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 07:55 AM   #34
Don Quixote

Haven't heard from him since March or so, but only The Rez could be the Minstrel of the Dawn.
DQ
Don Quixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 08:47 PM   #35
<formerlylavender>

A Tree Too Weak to Stand reminds me of jbt, and Second Cup of Coffee reminds me of Billw.

I guess there's nothing on the schedule for the Keswick so far. I'm keeping my fingers crossed...
Old 05-23-2006, 09:19 PM   #36
byKimberly

Send a message via AIM to byKimberly

I still have that belt that was used for SFAWN.
LOLs,
Kimberly
Old 05-23-2006, 10:31 PM   #37
Borderstone

None for me huh? *sniff*!! Just Borderstone?

:D S'allright!

Just kidding!
Old 05-24-2006, 12:12 AM   #38
brink-

hmmm Borderbuddy.....I think the Pony Man fits.
brink- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 01:45 AM   #39
<jbt>

thanks sheryl and billw, i've been well. i'm staying busy and agree with formerlylavender, i'd love another keswick show!
a friend asked me the other day which gord song is my favorite, and i honestly couldn't answer. i told him that, for me, there's a certain song for a certain mood or emotion or time of year for that matter. although my answer was honest, not being a gord fan i don't think he understood what i meant. all that said, a tree too weak to stand is def. one of my favorites.
i love this topic

jbt
Old 05-24-2006, 05:21 AM   #40
BILLW

Quote:
thanks sheryl and billw, i've been well. i'm staying busy and agree with formerlylavender, i'd love another keswick show!

jbt
jbt,

The Keswick looks dim, at least for 2006. You and your sister should consider the show at Wolf Trap in VA, you might have to stay overnight but it's really not that far. And there's a nice person here on corfid that may be able to come up with some really nice tickets... Plus it's a great Summertime venue, check it out online:

http://www.wolftrap.org/

Bill
Old 05-24-2006, 01:17 PM   #41
<jbt>

thanks billw, i'll talk it over with formerlylavender. Wednesday, Aug. 2, correct?
Old 05-24-2006, 03:45 PM   #42
BILLW

Quote:
thanks billw, i'll talk it over with formerlylavender. Wednesday, Aug. 2, correct?
That's the date. Be advised that it seems tickets are going fast. It'd be great to see you guys.

Bill
Old 05-24-2006, 10:34 PM   #43
Janice

Quote:
Originally posted by brink-:
Janice,
What wonderful stories. Vivid memories for you and how nice of you to share them with us. Thank you.

Next time I see Melissa I will have to ask her how to play the belt buckle, that might be an instrument that even I can learn to play!
Brink, it's hard not to have some wonderful/vivid memories hanging around this bunch - there were some great times at the 2001 and 2005 'Conventions' in Toronto as well - and we can't forget Atlanta and Austin I keep wanting to plan a San Diego mini-gathering, but the timing just never seems to work out.

As for playing the belt buckle - it's all in the wrist and you have to have just the right kind of belt. I'm sure Melissa will gladly show you how it's done as long as Kimberly would lone her the belt again. I bet you would be a very fine belt buckle player
Old 05-25-2006, 06:55 AM   #44
ELizabeth

I have one ticket left for GL at Wolf Trap. The seat is in the pit, just below the stage. Pricey at $125 but considerinmg that GL may not have that many tours left in him, definitely worth it in my NSHO.
ELizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 11:10 PM   #45
Shazia

I've been gone from here so long that I can assure you that no song could remind anyone here of me! :D :D
Shazia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 01:41 PM   #46
Sheryl

Send a message via AIM to Sheryl

Hello, Shazia, how've you been? And... how is your GL collection coming along? Tell us your favorites (in a new thread or bring up your old one), o.k.?
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 10:58 AM   #47
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Quote:
Originally posted by Sheryl:
Hello, Shazia, how've you been? And... how is your GL collection coming along? Tell us your favorites (in a new thread or bring up your old one), o.k.?
I too was pleased that after a far too long hiatus (her previous message was way back last September) Shazia has started posting again.I had her on my list of "Missing Posters" along with Gwen Snyder and"searam" (LA area musician Sean Ramunno/Stephens who just last week in an MSN Messenger chat I asked another "no show" (LA musucian musician Rex "The Rez") to try to contact).
I think the old topic that Sheryl was referring to was the one is the one in which then newbie Shazia recounted her initial collecting days which she started at:-
http://www.corfid.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ul...c;f=1;t=002090
Warning for "dial-uppers"
I had displayed a few large album artwork scans so be patient
Then as a follow-up on June 30th last year she was able to start a new topic at:-
http://www.corfid.com/ubb/ultimatebb...=003281#000013
and on the next day she confided that she now had 13 albums
What we now want to know of course is in the almost 12 months since has she tracked down the remaining 7??
John Fowles
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 11:17 AM   #48
charlene

[quote]Originally posted by MistyMoppens:
Quote:

Even though "Beautiful" is Char's special song it's almost as though "Rainy Day People" was written about her. Everything about it from the lyrics to the melody perfectly captures her.
omigosh - tha's so nice of you to say!
i'm blushing!
I try to be what so many folks here have been to me....Rainy Day People.....
"I do the best with what I've got..." - G.L.
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 06:16 AM   #49
<jbt>

billw,
i am almost certain that formerlylavender and i will be fortunate enough to once again cross paths with you and yours on aug.2, 2006.
thanks for the heads up

jbt
Old 06-04-2006, 07:10 AM   #50
geodeticman

Send a message via AIM to geodeticman

Char, here is an interesting twist on "Beautiful"

My wife Merry and I have been married for 25 years. When we were dating, we both loved Gordon Lightfoot, and Beautiful was "our song". We wished, along with two wedding standards - "Always", and "I'll Be in Love With You", for Beautiful to be played in our wedding.

Moreover, Merry wanted to sing "Always", and "Beautiful" herself. While it seems on initial listening to be written from a man's point of view, upon closer inspection it can be sung by a woman.. - Beautfully. Also, my singing was not a viable option, as I sound like a bullfrog with adenoids ( I hope those are the things in the throat...). So it was to be.

But we were young - 23/20 me/her, and more subject to suggestion from our elders. Well, Merry's mom told her unfortunately that she was worried that Merry would forget the words, and freeze up.... and well Merry was still at the age and state of mind of minding her mother and she reluctantly gave in.

We (Merry the most) have always regretted it, and instead let the Minister's daughter (lovely voice) sing the 2 non GL songs, she got them backwards from the order planned by ..us.. and the organist..,. oops, and ..well c'est la vie. It was recovered and was forgiven on the spot as she was young and, who would get mad over such a human error at such an occassion anyway ?.

Well,after all these years, and the pages start to yellow, I am still in love with her. And we still listen to Gordon Lightfoot together religiously (her more so Johhny Cash at times), and often recall how music played a part in our falling in love.

We'd drive around our little mountain town of Estes Park where we both went to High School, and go for drives in Rocky Mtn. Nat'l Park listening to:

1. Gord
2. Roger Whittaker
3. (don't laugh) - Henry Mancini Orchestra and his Greatest Hits, because there were several old standards that we loved - Days of wine and Roses, Moon River, etc., AND.. for raging hormones... a song that sounded like jungle drums with a distant orchestra beckoning one to a sunset in Africa, on safari, and it all spoke of..well.. what we all think of as we get to the stage of "madly/crazy in love". nuff said

Oops well got off track there. Point being is that having the song Beautiful associated with you is a very nice compliment. The song absolutely makes my wife melt to this day.

Hats off to ya
Geo Steve
geodeticman is offline   Reply With Quote