banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 05-21-2006, 12:49 AM   #1
Mike Dixon

My thanks to all who participated in the last (one hit wonders) thread I posted in collaboration with another long time corfidian. They elicited some terrific responses (and forgotten memories) from the board members.

So we've been at it again. This one we trust might encourage similar interest, particularly when we might not realise what hidden gems lie on old LPs or rarely played CDs.

The thrust of the question is this ....

We're all guilty of purchasing albums (and I'm not asking for GH collections here) for that single we heard on the radio. When we play them however, we're more often than not taken aback by other tracks that we believe were deserving of more airplay or warranted a follow up single. We may have even preferred "that" song more than the track which prompted the purchase.

So which unheralded songs from which albums really "hit" you ?

We'll nominate two to "launch" the thread.

1. Paul Simon "Graceland" - Track - Gumboots
2. Eagles "One of these Nights" Track - Journey of the Sorcerer.

Michael
Mike Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 01:11 PM   #2
Borderstone

Speaking of the Eagles,how about "In The City" from "The Long Run" LP? Awesome song!

Also,"Sad Cafe" from "Hotel California".

Some few years back i bought what i think is Rita Coolidge's 1st LP and she does an overwhelmingly dramatic & wonderful version of,"Seven Bridges Road". (Complete with strings but used properly.)

I also would go with Paul Simon's Graceland LP for the songs,"Boy In The Bubble" and "Diamonds On The Soles Of Her Shoes".
From the "Hearts & Bones" LP (which has no hits) there's,"Think Too Much" (fast & slow versions).

A classic rock station staple that gets a lot of play but was never a hit is The Allman Brothers' w/"Jessica" a seven &1/2 minute instrumental that totally rocks,country style! Thta's on the LP,"Brothers & Sisters".

For the rock group KISS,there's too many great tracks to mention but I'd reccomend these few:

Black Diamond
I'll See You Tonight
Flaming Youth
I Love It Loud
Tomorrow & Tonight (Live)
Rock Bottom
2000 Man (That's enough,though there's plenty more.

Finally,for Mariah Carey I definetly loved the title song from "Music Box" and these tracks from Daydream LP:

Underneath The Stars
Open Arms
Forever

and this track from the Emotions LP,"If It's Over",which she sang on her first SNL appearance. Demonstrating her strong R & B side.

That's all for now,later!