banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > Small Talk

Old 09-13-2010, 06:32 AM   #1
Jesse Joe

Default Another 'Gord' winning music awards

http://timestranscript.canadaeast.co...rticle/1215400

Gord Bamford wins big at CCMAs

Published Monday September 13th, 2010

Alberta artist takes home best album, top male artist

By Dean Bennett
THE CANADIAN PRESS

EDMONTON - "Day Job" - a toe-tappin', steel-guitar-sliding tribute to working stiffs with mud-caked boots, bent backs and unbreakable dreams brought singer Gord Bamford a night to remember yesterday at the Canadian Country Music Awards.

The man from Lacombe, Alta. won album of the year and video of the year, and was also named male artist of the year in the awards show held at Rexall Place.

He also won the CCMA's humanitarian award for his work with the 4-H club, Big Brothers and Big Sisters and other groups.

The Australian-born singer got his start 16 years ago thinking up lyrics while driving a cement truck and has since written and recorded songs with some of Nashville's greatest. He has shared the stage with Reba McEntire, Tim McGraw, Brooks & Dunn, and George Strait.

He led all artists in 2010 with six CCMA nominations.
Johnny Reid, the Scottish-born singer who emigrated to Ontario as a teen, won single of the year for "Dance with Me," a haunting ballad about the beauty of love that lies in its simplest of heartfelt gestures, like a dance.
Reid, 36, also won the coveted fan's choice award, and "Dance With Me" was named top-selling Canadian album.

It was also a big night for Victoria Banks. The woman from Port Carling, Ont. won for female artist of the year, and on Saturday was honoured - along with Reid and Tia Sellers - as songwriters of the year for their work on "Dance With Me."

It's been a long road to the top for Banks. She grew up listening to songs on an old record player in a wood-heated cottage. She almost lost a finger chopping logs to keep warm. In school, the margins of her homework held scribbled lyrics and she waited tables and washed dishes to pay her way to Nashville to learn the craft of songwriting.

Manitoba's Doc Walker - Chris Thorsteinson, Dave Wasyliw and Murray Pulver - followed up their 2009 award for group/duo of the year by winning it again on Sunday.
Pulver also won in the guitar player of the year category while Steve Broadhurst got the nod on drums.

The rising group of the year award went to One More Girl, the sister duo of Britt and Carly McKillip from Maple Ridge, B.C. Five singles have charted off their debut "Big Sky" album, which was produced by their father, Tom.

Music is not the only part of the resume for Britt, 19, and Carly, 21, who are also turning heads in their acting careers.

Corb Lund kept on truckin' by winning the roots artist/group of the year award Saturday. The Edmonton artist, who sings with his band the Hurtin' Albertans, has won the award for the last seven years running.

Taylor Swift's "Fearless" was the top-selling country album in Canada.
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 07:55 AM   #2
charlene

Default Re: Another 'Gord' winning music awards

I watched the show off and on and caught Pee Wee with George Canyon but Pee Wee didn't win the pedal steel guitar award - the guy with George Bamford won.
I find it sad that Taylor Swifts name was mentioned at all.
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 01:49 PM   #3
jj

Default Re: Another 'Gord' winning music awards

saw BR opening only but will see repeats i am sure....

TS, thank gosh she wasn't there...(what was the dixie chick doing there?)

how long will her people want to to keep milking the Jonas dumping and the Kanye rant sympathy...i guess the Miley teens have come onside with her

http://tv.gawker.com/5636237/taylor-...t-what-you-did

looks like she is using Avril's old eye makeup consultant...

does that Sugarland lady sing like Reba on purpose or is it natural...i don't get anything from that act but she can sing and full or annoying confidence

Last edited by jj; 09-13-2010 at 01:59 PM.
jj is offline   Reply With Quote